facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by Devin on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! It does look like a 1971 JT1. The exhaust is an aftermarket brand called hooker header.

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/60-80-cc-vin-numbers
31 May 2018 12:32 #601

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Kidrabbit on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello! I'm Giang. New to riding and have a bike for the commute to work and to get around. Just picked up a running 1984 DT80 and looking to getting it smick and doing some aesthetic modifications.

I've started a skill sharing group for women to learn and share maintenance and other wrenching projects in Melbourne and it's currently winter so doing some planning for next summer!

Looking forward to learning lots off all of you!
01 Jun 2018 01:29 #602

Replied by KJB on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome
KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50
'94 Yamaha TW200

01 Jun 2018 02:12 #603

Replied by mspang on topic And just who do you think you are?

I got my start with a 1972 Suzuki TS100. My Dad just came home with it one day. No taking me to the store to pick something out. No window shopping. It just showed up. I can't complain. It was the coolest gift I had received up to that point in my life, and came soon after a visit to the oral surgeon to remove four teeth and the permanent teeth under those to get my mouth ready for braces. Maybe my Dad thought something like a motorcycle would make me forget the ordeal. It did.

At the time, I could barely touch the ground. So I promptly broke half the clutch lever off turning around at slow speed in a cul-de-sac that was not level. Dented the tank. This was day one. Fortunately, growing up in the DFW area of Texas, we were in a smaller suburb just a block from dirt trails on land that hadn't been developed yet. I don't think Texas has ever required helmets, so I had a ton of fun growing into that bike, wearing a helmet most of the time. It was metallic glitter orange helmet. Cooooool.

Now in my 50's ... I just sold my 1978 BMW R80/7 with R100S engine and components. It was a beautiful "naked" bike and destined to be a custom, but I ran out of money to do anything. It was still fun to ride until we moved into a new house. The garage leaves little space for a bike that size, and with a steep driveway it was difficult to maneuver the bike into place along the wall, without scraping my car. Those big cylinders would be a few inches from where I'd drive in. Not a good thing. Another factor is that I want to take advantage of some of the trails around the outskirts of town. Central Oregon has a few trails in case I want to explore. A smaller street/trail bike is in order ... time to get an enduro!

I like the classic lines of the 70's and some of the 80's. The newer dual sports don't look like motorcycles. I understand the reason behind the design. But I'm not a hardcore dirt bike guy, and never will be. I want my ride to have style, performance, and reliability. I respect early industrial design and the engineering that were responsible for the growth of the dual sport craze. Call me sentimental, but I just feel that there is more character and a closer connection to the machine in a vintage bike. I don't need perfection.

Why am I here? Well, I like Suzukis, but they are at the high end of the whiney spectrum. Honda's have a different feel and to me, they are at the other end of the exhaust note spectrum, sounding sometimes like they are bogging down. But Yamaha has always seemed to have a muscular, "I mean business" kind of appeal. The look, the sound, the performance. What's not to like. To be honest, all those years I enjoyed my bike, I envied the guys on early Yamaha enduros. Didn't matter which model. They all looked super cool to me. But I was a good boy and didn't complain. After all, only a few of my friends had bikes as well.

I'm in the hunt and possibly final days of finding the right bike for me. The only bike I'm close to a deal on is a 1972 DT2 250. But it's a long haul from where I live. I can borrow a trailer, but still need to rent or borrow a car with a hitch. I'm on the cheap an not willing to spend $80-100 or more to transport. I have a tight and finite budget. I'm waiting to find out if a 1983 XT 550 is still available. It's a different experience, but it's worth a look. The DT2 is "restored" and I would hate to drop it on a ride ... oh, and by the way, my plan at this moment is for easy trail riding until I get back into the comfort zone of handling a bike in dirt again.

Well, I guess that's my introduction. The only other useful info on me might be that I love vintage HiFi gear and music (vinyl, cassette, 8-track, cd). Yes, cd is technically vintage now since it came out in 1983 ....

See you nuts around the forum. I'll post a thread once I get my first bike!

Matt
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 08:16 by mspang. Reason: clean up
06 Jun 2018 13:46 #604

Replied by Tripledoubler on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello All....I am a member of many forums for the different hobbies I am involved in but I am exceptionally excited to become a member here. I grew up riding Yamaha enduros until I got a 1981 Suzuki RM 125...as a teenager. A few months ago my younger brother sent me an an ad from craigslist for the exact year and model we used to ride to school on....a bright orange 1972 Yamaha 125 AT2 with only 1700 miles and mint condition. I couldn't get there fast enough to buy as I thought it was a great deal at $1200. I runs beautifully but I need to keep it running and I know that this forum is going to give me the info to do this. I live in the the East Bay area of Northern California and commuted on it today! What a great day!
06 Jun 2018 18:44 #605

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome 'mspang' & good luck with your search. DT2 is a good bike & if a good restoration job is even better. Had an candy orange one new myself back in the day.
06 Jun 2018 19:49 #606

Replied by RT325 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome 'Trippledoubler', your name has me wishing i could just clear a double jump lol, but in my dreams. Anyway, AT2, i bought a realy tidy candy orange one about 10 years ago & sold it to make money i suppose but regret it now--& all the good bikes i've parted with over the years. Sounds like you bought a good example so--Enjoy.
06 Jun 2018 19:56 #607

Replied by mspang on topic And just who do you think you are?

Thanks RT325 ... at this moment, I'm expecting to hear from the seller to wrap up this deal and get the 1972 DT2 today!!! Once I get the bike, I'll post a new thread for it because I will have some questions, but also want to post pics as I finish the restoration on it. The only thing it really needs is the controls cleaned up, replaced, or rechromed, a new tach, and fix the faceplate on the speedo. It came unattached and is moving around while riding. A little distracting. Other than that, the engine was rebuilt, bored over once with new piston, new points, plugs and battery, oil injection is tuned, front forks rebuilt, brakes cleaned, new o-ring chain (doesn't need lubing), and new tires/tubes. It's ready to go and has 8k miles. The paint is RT3 silver from that year and if I own this bike as long as I'd like to think, I'll have it painted back to original color. I happen to like that odd choice. The bike doesn't have turn signals, but I'd like to add. Comes with service manual (book), passenger pegs, and extra parts.
07 Jun 2018 09:28 #608

Replied by btrapr1 on topic And just who do you think you are?

I was born and raised in So. Cal. got m first bike, a Honda qa50 with folding handle bars, around age 9. My parents bought two of them a red and sliver and a yellow and silver. I recently got what was left of the only remaining yellow one, whats left of it after my little brother got done with it. I then had a XR75, a DG Elsinore 125 with porcupine head, pipe, and sprockets, a DS185. Then I graduated to street bikes around age 17 and rode them until age 23. I had a 700 Interceptor, and 1986 Honda VFR750F, a Honda Hurricaine 600CBR, and a 1984? Yamaha RZ 350.

I attended Keith Code Super Bike School at Willow Springs around 1984/5? and saw the RZ class riders and thought Id like to get one of those. A friend that I rode with, Mike Castro, worked at Hemet Honda and raced vintage class on a RD400. He found my RZ at another dealer after the owner decided he did not want to pay for the upper rebuild. The bike was red/white and it had a full Toomey racing kit, and Corbin gunfighter seat on it. Mike knew some guys at Team Green na dhe gave them my jugs. Team Kawasaki bored them for Wiseco pistons, ported, polished, knife edged, and flowed them on a bench. My cousin, Danny Nelson- Grants PAss-Oreg. used to race flat and was sponsored by FMF, so I followed their R&D somewhat. FMF Banchees were tearing up the Mickey Thompson circuit so I took my head to them and they re-cut the domes. Mike and I added Malcolm Smith fork springs, safety wired and put it on somewhat of a diet. That bike was a screamer when we got it going. *I decided to run cannons instead of the track, so my Ortega Highway Sunday morning runs were the fun thing to do. Riders would meet at the donut shop near Lake Elsinore at sunrise on Sunday mornings before traffic picked up. I made many a white knuckle trip across that stretch of pavement I look back on it now and think just how stupid I was at times, but I survived.

NOW after getting the QA50 (future project) I sort of got what I will call a Cycle-bug and have now purchased tow basket case bikes for furure fun. I bought a 1976 DT175, and a 1977 DT400. The parts gathering has begun.

I am very glad that I found this site and acknowledge the fact that there are many like minded individuals here who are not only willing to share the knowledge and mods but to help others through their endeavors as well.

Glad to be here.
Steve
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 04:52 by btrapr1.
08 Jun 2018 04:46 #609

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Devin on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! Your DT400 May be a 1978, the tank is. Here is the vin chart to verify.

www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/360-400-cc-vin-numbers
08 Jun 2018 04:57 #610

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart