facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by JRT on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi All,
My name is Jim, I was just at a family gathering and got to talking with my cousin about my previous restoration of a 1974 Honda Z50. She has my uncle's mid 70's 80cc enduro which she has asked me to restore. It is in Toronto and I'm in Winnipeg and it will likely be a while before I can get it into my shop so right now I don't even know exactly what it is but I think it is either a GT80 or a DT80. My uncle was one to buy things and hardly ever use use them (he had a 1957 T-Bird which I think was only driven a handful of times) so I am pretty sure it is complete and never been molested, so apart for just cleaning it might not take much to bring her back.

So a couple of questions. How rare are these 80cc bikes and how hard is it to find parts? Are these little guys sought after at all, in other words is it worth spending too much money on it?

As soon as I get it back to my shop I will post some picture but in the mean time I will leave you with a pic of the Z50.

Thanks
Jim

Found a picture of the Yamaha

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Benlypage, KennyV
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 18:12 by JRT.
13 Jan 2019 11:49 #681

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DJB on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi All,
My name is Dan and I am located in the Clare Valley, South Australia.
Found this excellent resource some time ago, but have only just gotten around to registering.
I had a misspent youth on dirt bikes, all two strokes. Had a big break away from them and then rediscovered my love for two wheels in the past few years.
I currently have a 2016 KTM EXC 300, a 2000 YZ250, a 1977 DT250 and a 1978 DT250.
I bought the 77 DT to have some fun on while I was rebuilding the YZ250 (grenaded the engine!) and it was a fun bike. Squirted around for a few months, we have 8 acres of rocks and hills, and the DT did incredibly well, then the poor old girl died. Upon inspection I found multiple issues including a damaged left had case half.
This did, however, give me some ideas on a rebuild/custom build for the humble DT. The plan is to create a scrambler project from the two bikes (the 78 was purchased as a project in pieces). Something simple that I can scoot down the main street on a Saturday morning and take off road to raise the eyebrows of the latest is the best crowd.
I will throw around some questions and post some images when things get started.
Thanks and I look forward to being an active part of this community.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Benlypage
18 Jan 2019 00:11 #682

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome from the UK, DJB.

I gather it's quite warm 'down under' at the moment?!
18 Jan 2019 05:57 #683

Replied by DJB on topic And just who do you think you are?

Thanks Gr8uncleal!
Yes, its rather toasty down here!
18 Jan 2019 17:27 #684

Replied by 1980 DT175 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello, my name is Cameron and I'm from the Phoenix, Arizona area. I'm currently in my second year of law school at ASU, so, I'm not sure how smart it was, but I just picked up a 1980 DT 175. It's the first motorcycle I've ever owned and was mostly restored by the previous owner, but it's not running perfect yet.

I'll be scoping out the forums to see some how I can get this running in tip top shape.

Any help is appreciated and I'll try to do the same once I've got good advice to give.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Benlypage, Von
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 10:50 by Devin. Reason: inserted picture
19 Jan 2019 18:48 #685

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by ReecePW on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello I'm Reece, my Grandpa, MDscott (we call him Papa-Cycle) is fixing up a PW50 for me, I cant wait. When I'm too big my sister can ride it.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV
13 Feb 2019 08:44 #686

Welcome from the UK ReecePW!

Make sure that Papa-Cycle does a good job now!
13 Feb 2019 08:54 #687

Replied by markb on topic And just who do you think you are?

Gday Dave . your bike here looks great. Mark from Coffs Hbr way here. I have a DT 100 Trail im looking to restore. Its in working order, but needs a good going over and new wiring yolk and electrics .
I cracked the clutch adjuster screw housing on left side of crank case so trying to work out best way to fix it or replace the left side- likely big job.
Would be good to talk to someone like yourself from time to time as I make progress on it, and need some advice or pointers. Ive got a few photos I can send .
Hope your still on this forum .
Cheers
mark
18 Feb 2019 03:41 #688

Replied by IRIDEBIKES on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi,
Im Dan, I came on here for information and trading sourcing parts/services. Been into building old air cooled 250r trikes for a long time. Got into RD's for a bit. Then got into the enduros. Currently have a 75 dt100 and a 76 dt400. Just wanted to say hello.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MACE6772, Gr8uncleal
23 Feb 2019 15:13 #689

Welcome from the UK Dan. Lots of info here (some of it even useful!) and the members are a great bunch.

I've got four restos on the go at the moment - RT2, DT360, RD350 and Suzuki GT550. Postage from the US is a killer!
24 Feb 2019 00:36 #690

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart