facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by ten4dude on topic And just who do you think you are?

Not a mechanic per se but have always figured out how to work on my bike. To me it's part of being a motorcyclist. Sold my 1975 R90 BMW awhile back and found I miss tinkering. My Honda NC700Xdct doesn't require a whole lot of attention. Pretty sure that won't be a problem for awhile. Picked these up two weeks ago. How's that line go? "they were running when I parked them" I know the guy I bought them from and he bought them new.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, RT325
Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 11:27 by ten4dude. Reason: Add picture
05 Aug 2019 11:22 #741

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome from the UK. A couple of nice projects there - quite possibly the first of many!
Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 12:26 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: spelling
05 Aug 2019 12:26 #742

Replied by tricky-sticks on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi guys, I recently became the proud new owner of a '72 DT2. I learned how to ride on various 60s and 70s Honda 110s which were always hilarious to ride. They're more of a scooter than a trail bike. I eventually got into newer 4 strokers, but at some point I just caught the bug. I saw a grot-black Yamaha 2 stroke on Craigslist that "used to run just fine" and pretty much bought it sight unseen. When I got it I didn't really know what year it was or even what model it was, but the VINs matched and that was good enough for me. I was able to figure out it was a '72 DT2, that at one point was probably even Pearl Yellow. So I got all new seals from Yamaha Parts and brought it to a friend of mine who helped me get it up and running! Once I knew it ran, I did the only logical thing you can do. I took it apart.

The Plan:
Clean everything.
Tidy up the frame and remove some of the unnecessary brackets.
Repaint the frame.
Replace the mishmash of bits that came with the bike with actual motorcycle bits.
Rebuild!
Have fun!

The only problem I'm having is I can't get the rear swing arm bolt out. The grease zerk had broken off and I'd like to remove the bolt to service the fittings. It spins when I have a wrench on it, but not very well. I've tried penetrating sprays and some hammering with no luck. I didn't want to do anything too wild for fear of damaging the frame. I've looked at the diagrams but I can't see anything that would prevent it from coming out. Am I missing something? Any tips I should try for getting this thing out? Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: It's definitely a DT2
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, RT325
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 12:37 by tricky-sticks.
11 Aug 2019 15:04 #743

Welcome from the UK tricky-sticks.

Just to make sure you get the right parts for your bike, if it s a '72 250, then it will be a DT2. The DT250 didn't come in until '74 and was, by and large, a completely different bike. I'm not trying to be a "rivet counter", but I'd hate for you to waste money on the wrong parts!

Your bike will share many parts with the RT2, DT3 and RT3. Check out the manuals in the Tech Library here and also sites such as Partzilla - if you click on an item on their site it will show which other models used it.

DEET on the site here is good for new wiring, wire sleeving, parts refurbs and hard to get parts.

If you intend using the lights, then probably best to fit a voltage regulator - see link at the end of this post.

What's stopping you removing your swing arm bolt is probably that it is rusted to the collars that sit inside the swing arm and which the bolt goes through. Use the search facility in the menu bar towards the top of the page to see what others have done - the members here really can be inventive at times!

Good luck and don't forget to keep us updated with photos!

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...e-voltage-regulators
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 00:28 by Gr8uncleal.
12 Aug 2019 00:25 #744

Replied by 4oaks on topic And just who do you think you are?

Howdy all, I figured its about time I introduce myself. I've grown up on motorcycles (especially vintage BMWs like my daily rider) and a few years back I picked up a 1976 DT250 for $100 and I've been hooked on these old enduros since. The 250 has mostly been used as a farm bike and for some trail riding in northern Minnesota, and it received its Vermont registration this year so it may become road worth soon as well. More recently I've picked up a couple 1978 DT175s and a 1979 IT175 as project bikes. My main goal is to get everything running smooth to get some buddies on the trails with me, then maybe start on some slow restorations as time/money allow. I really appreciate this site for the resources and everyone's experiences. More often than not, I find myself logging on just to see what everyone else is up to. I look forward to sharing more with you all in the future as I start working on some projects!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, Mothersbaugh, KennyV
14 Aug 2019 13:37 #745

Welcome from the UK.

Nice to have 4 off roaders!
15 Aug 2019 00:05 #746

Replied by RT325 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome from NZ. I had an IT175 exactly like that about 30 years ago."78 or "79, steel swing/arm. Actually was a lot of fun to ride but the funny story was, i bought it burnt out off the insurance company for wrecking value as no-one tendered for it. Had no 4th gear so i found out when i got it running. Wondered if it was burnt on purpose to claim insurance. Having an aversion to spending money--i remove the broken gear & raced it like it was for a while just going 1-2-3-5-6. Stupid yeah, but i do stupid well lol. Wish i took some pics from those days.--before digital cameras though.
15 Aug 2019 04:32 #747

Replied by 69Lemans on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey guys! I’m new to the site I’m 31 and love these vintage Yamaha’s and I just spent the last three months restoring my 1972 Yamaha dt2 100% myself!!!... awesome bike I finally got to ride it yesterday thanks to a few guys from the site! Iv been riding modern bikes ( dirt bike and enduros) my whole life and all brands and yes you can’t beat the modern power! But these vintage Yamaha’s are a blast to ride... they are bad ass and will be apart of my life for a long time! I’m already looking for another! I attached some photos to show off my work!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal, liferbiker, Super90
03 Sep 2019 08:44 #748

Replied by Zjohnson878 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hello all! My name is Zach and I'm a 33 year old motorcycle fanatic. I've recently acquired a 75 Yamaha DT400b and I'm in love with old 2-strokes. My stepdad had one of these when he was young and it's kind of a father/son bonding project and a way to get him excited about motorcycles again. I also ride a Honda Crf250l Rally, Honda Grom, and a 1982 Yamaha Seca 650. I'm glad to be here and I'm sure I will be asking for advice all along. Thanks for having me aboard! I'm a boat captain from Panama City Beach, FL
My current children...
1975 Yamaha DT400b
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 XJ650
1973 Yamaha RT3 Enduro 360
2020 Yamaha MT-07
The following user(s) Liked this Post: swm
08 Sep 2019 19:50 #749

Welcome from the UK.

We've already got a Captain Dave on the forum, so now a Captain Zach as well!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, Zjohnson878
09 Sep 2019 00:57 #750

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart