facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Howdy folks!

I just found this site & I hope to make contributions along the way... While i am only 44, I have been riding since I was 6... never really raced while I was young and fearless, but ventured into some hare scrambles across the southeast in my late 20's and 30's... Now I just consider myself an 'enthusiast'...

A dear friend (who is now suffering from ALS) who was my riding buddy, became interested in racing AHRMA Post Vintage CC & MX and got himself an 86 IT 200 & an 82 RM 250. I later found an 82 IT 175 & joined him in his last folley...

So now I have both the 86 & 82 IT's that I ride very infrequently... But the vintage Yamaha bug had bitten... Since riding off road was becoming a pain due to travel distances and legal places to ride... I found a 72 Yamaha R5 to keep me occupied.

I have had that lil R5 for 5 years now & after one MAJOR blow up, & rebuilt my 'spare' 74 rd350 motor & have been alot more careful with timing and jetting ever since. I had no idea what a fixed timed points 2 stroke would be require... as I've never had anything with points. (yea... I'm a youngen I guess)

so now I mainly play w my R5 as i can hope on her anyday after work and enjoy a lil ring a ding...

I'll post more as I get time... as I'd like to sell both of the IT's if possible.

Sincerely,

Russ
06 Nov 2014 12:13 #161

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by fossilrider on topic And just who do you think you are?

Well, some of this I covered in my profile but anyway, I'm Steve but many friends and family call me Fossil or Foss. Started riding a little in late '60s, at about age 20, and then started racing enduros and hare scrambles about '72. Raced most years untill around 2009, when I was about 61 or so. Started on Ossa then on to Penton, Husky, Suzuki, Yamaha, and KTM. I finally quit dirt riding when my son quit after back surgery. He was a support rider for KTM and was the SETRA enduro champ 5 times. I wasn't really ready to quit but didn't want to torment him by riding on our property when he really shouldn't ride any more but wanted to so badly. Now we ride street together and I have a stable of vintage bikes that seems to be a revolving door of bikes. Constantly buying and selling. Anyway, I have always leaned toward euro bikes but, if I rode Japanese, I prefer Yamahas. I am just finishing a '71 CT1 with CT2 (red) bodywork. Bought it as a rolling chassis with trashed motor and no tank, fenders,seat,bars,controls,wiring,lights....., you get the picture. I know, from past experience, that "you can buy 'em cheaper than you can build 'em", but I ran headlong into the resto. I have really enjoyed the build but probably have more in it than I could ever get for it. Oh well !!!! I know, pics ! Sorry to say I haven't taken any of the build but will take some of the finished product and post them. I always liked these little play bikes and look forward to getting it done and enjoying it. Later, Foss
06 Nov 2014 20:08 #162

Replied by pntrbl on topic And just who do you think you are?

Good to have ya on board Foss. Welcome!
07 Nov 2014 06:05 #163

Replied by Makotosun on topic And just who do you think you are?

FossilRider would have been a good name for this site!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
07 Nov 2014 10:58 #164

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Howdy

My name is Kurt and I'm the proud (?) owner of a 1976 DT400. It's my first bike. I bought it because I like the style, I like the size and I like the capabilities it offers. On Any Sunday takes the full blame for that. I bought it without a title and in running order, but over the past few months I've replaced the fork seals, front brake shoes, throttle cable/assembly, de-rusted the fuel tank, cleaned carb out and replaced the tires. Oh, and I titled and plated the bike.

I just got my moto license and I'm looking forward to hitting the trails, as well as getting it streetable to ride, well, whenever the hell I want. I'm not interested in restoration, only making it work, riding it and enjoying it.

Here it is!

08 Nov 2014 13:21 #165

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Welcome!

Looks like a great start! I think that it may actually be 1975, or at least it has the 1975 tank graphics. The little black bit above the "400" would be a bit taller if it were a 76 paint scheme. The tanks are interchangeable so no issue.

You can get a date of manufacture off of the VIN tag on the steering head which would let us zero in a bit more.

Your bike is a perfect model for the uses you indicate. I have several and have used them in amazingly difficult terrain, as well as on the freeway - the latter is less enjoyable :)

Have you downloaded the service manual we have here in the Workshop section? It is invaluable as you work on different systems on the bike.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2014 13:29 by Makotosun.
08 Nov 2014 13:28 #166

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I just grabbed the service manual AND wiring diagram. Thanks!

The tank graphics are most definitely 1975, but the VIN (matching numbers, even) say it's a 1976. The tank looks worse than the graphics, so I'm thinking someone just bought the wrong sticker kit. It doesn't bother me.
08 Nov 2014 14:17 #167

There are only a few folks - most of them members here - who would be able to tell the difference without them sitting side by side. Ugh
08 Nov 2014 14:28 #168

Replied by yammerhammer on topic And just who do you think you are?

I just had a flashback to 1972 when I got a 100 just like yours. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine!
Last edit: 08 Nov 2014 19:01 by yammerhammer. Reason: misspelling
08 Nov 2014 18:58 #169

Replied by bluntz465 on topic And just who do you think you are?

I already have a pair of IT465's but I want your IT200 as well.PM me please.
1957 Cushman Eagle 1969 Honda 90 ATC 1969 Honda CB250
1973 Yamaha AT3 1974 Kawasaki KH440 1974 Honda XR75
1975 Suzuki TS75 1975 Kawasaki GreenStreak 90 1975 Suzuki GT550
1975 Suzuki TS250 1976 Suzuki GT550 1976 Indian Chief
1976 Yamaha YZ80 1978 Yamaha IT175 1980 Suzuki GS550
1982 Yamaha IT465J
08 Nov 2014 19:34 #170

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart