facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by Makotosun on topic Re:Re: And just who do you think you are?

Craigs List seems to be a pretty good option depending on your part of the country. You might place a "bike/basket case wanted" at no cost in our classified ad section too. likey

They are out there and not as hard to find as you might think. YOu might also want to subscribe to THIS THREAD where for sale bikes are often listed.

Finding the elusive title can be challenging, but worth the extra cost as depending on your state, getting one for a non-titled bike can be a nightmare!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
10 Oct 2014 21:02 #111

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• James Hart
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator

Replied by James Hart on topic Re:Re: And just who do you think you are?

I meant it as a joke... but thanks for the info. I've been stalking craigslist & eBay for a couple months now, I'll subscribe to that thread too. I'm actually contemplating a $500 non-titled barn find DT 250. It is listed as a 71, but the pictures show it might be at least part 72. I've read a bit on the title game and plan to research it more today.
...slowly rescuing ghosts of a 1971 CT1-C and a 1967 Grand Prix 350 YR1
11 Oct 2014 06:56 #112

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Re:Re: And just who do you think you are?

Vermont might still be an easy option for registration if you live in a difficult state like Nevada where it is impossible to get a new title without the old title... Vermont doesn't issue titles for older vehicles... but they will issue registration if you have a bill of sale (with certain minimum information... check the Vermont DMV website) and pay Vermont sales tax and registration fees. If you're smart about it (don't rate the condition low to save money on taxes or they may require an inspection... call Vermont for the NADA value they use to calculate sales tax due... what the bill of sale says doesn't matter... they use NADA values) and the bike is old enough and under 500cc, you can do it all by mail. Then you can keep it registered in Vermont (most states frown on this) OR you take your Vermont plate and registration down to your local DMV and transfer it to your home state. Since Vermont doesn't issue titles for old vehicles, the Vermont registration should be all you need to get the new title and registration in your home state...

You can also pay a "title service" to go through this process for you... In any case, you need to be sure the bike hasn't been stolen and that it isn't still "on the books" in another state or this process won't work.

Now if you live in California, strangely enough they have a pretty good process to get a title for an old bike that has been off the books... so I'd go that route there because California can be difficult when you try to transfer in a vehicle from out of state.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
11 Oct 2014 08:28 #113

Replied by Makotosun on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! Brian! I am curious about your user name. It appears to be a comedic take on Sasquatch - which brings to mind a large, hairy biped. Not sure what to make of it . . . Ugh

For some details on the 78 models, here are two good threads:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/resto...400e-monoshock-re-do

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/resto...e-1978-yamaha-dt-400
12 Oct 2014 19:32 #114

Replied by Owen on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi everyone, my name is Owen. I recently got a 73 ct1 175 with what appears to be a ct3 175 motor in it. It needs a little work and a few parts, but that's the only shape i can afford things in. One of these old enduros has been one of my dream bikes for a while. So I'm pretty stoked to get it rippin. I'm a mega yacht mechanic by day and a vintage moped club president by night, so I'm no stranger to nuts and bolts and two strokes. I'll have to post some pictures a different time.
12 Oct 2014 22:37 #115

Replied by Devin on topic And just who do you think you are?

welcome! You might find this restoration thread useful. Restored 1973 CT3 yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forum/resto...ct3-commuter-project
12 Oct 2014 22:54 #116

Replied by assquatch20 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Much appreciated. It seems the largest pile of info available on this stuff isn't quite available right now.

Also, I notice now that my frame has the eyelets for the rear fender and signals hacked off. I'm gonna get an original style fender from DC hopefully (the bike came with a Preston Petty) and figure out how to mount it from there. Since finding an OEM rack will be too hard, I think I'd like to figure out a rear hoop that will work with the DC fender, then I can make a bolt-on rack that'll hang onto that perhaps. I'll need side covers as well to actually make it all look square, but I reckon that's all a ways off.

Right now it could really use cables, brakes, some exhaust work, at least a good carb cleaning/tuning, and some fresh oil. I've emailed Jemco a few times about having a pipe made, but no reply. Haven't found the time to call just yet. I've already poured through a lot of the resources available online, this one included, but the "other" forum is pretty wonky for me and the archive is a bit hard to read. I'll surely be rehashing some questions everyone is already used to as I go. I'll probably order a Clymer manual up as well soon. It's all armchair theorizing until I can get a shed put in here, though.

Once again, thanks.

P.S. The username was a typo years ago. Just kinda stuck. The "20" just helps it rhyme with Matchbox Twenty for some pizazz with the youngsters.
13 Oct 2014 02:57 #117

Replied by Makotosun on topic And just who do you think you are?

So are you saying the "other" forum and archive is hard to read, or that you are having trouble finding stuff here? If it is the latter I can help :)

Go to This Link: yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/service-manuals

and search for 71-73 100cc-175cc combined factory service manual and parts catalogue. That has everything that Clymer has and you just saved the price of admission :)

Your bike sounds like it is actually a 73 CT3. The Serial numbers on the frame and motor if correct would start with "CT1". See our VIN tables at: yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/vi...s/175-cc-vin-numbers

Your bike SHOULD have looked like this from the factory:

13 Oct 2014 06:36 #118

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by littlemilo on topic And just who do you think you are?

My real name is Jeff and at 56 years old I am not that little, but my Dad's name was Milo so that's where my username comes from. I had a '72 175 an my late teens and rode the wheels off it. All my buddies had Suzukis , but I loved the sound of the Yamaha enduro. And I was faster.

Never been a motorcycle guy since, until a couple years ago, when I found a little LT3 for cheap not far from me and had it running in 3 days. Got it titled, got my license again, and got a huge smile on my face whenever I ride one of these old bikes. Found a '72 CT2 and restored it to better shape than my original was in when I bought it used in '76.

And now there is a 71 AT1C that I'm working on and I'm sure I'll need help getting back together. Capt. Dave Rymal helped me get the electronics sorted out, so once I had spark the resto began.

Been lurking around this site for a bit, looks like Makotosun is doing a great job with this and I am grateful to be a member and have access to all this information and to the Yamaha gurus here. Here are some pics of what I am working on.

This image is hidden for guests.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that attaches the handlebars to the seat
17 Oct 2014 14:10 #119

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome Jeff!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
17 Oct 2014 17:20 #120

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart