facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT125A Build/Restore

• torqueflight
  • torqueflight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by torqueflight on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

"""Mothersbaugh post=127350
On partzilla.com, look up 71 AT-1C, and you'll find it's still available for $35. Look at 74 DT125, and it's unavailable, but click on that part, and it says it was used for many 125's before 74. Go figure.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1971/at1c/shifter-2
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/173-181...039a2306806615ee4b3b""""

I dont know how I missed this, we must have posted at the same time. Thank you, youre awesome, Ill probably go a head and get this.

PS the quote function here isnt great. 
27 Apr 2021 05:10 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I thought that might be the case. I tried a random key at he front of the lock to see if it would turn and it didnt. I assume it still needs the yamaha type key to open it?
27 Apr 2021 05:13 #32

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Click "Quote" at the bottom of the relevant post.
Click anywhere when the post comes up and "quote" will appear bottom left of the text - click on this.
A red line appears with a return symbol at the right hand side - click on this.
The cursor should be left and underneath the text on the post that you're quoting and you're good to go.
As long as you leave the initial post reference at the top left of the post that you're quoting, you can delete what you don't want to quote on in the original post (as I have done here).

I agree that it takes a little getting used to!
27 Apr 2021 05:19 #33

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Sure. No problema on the shift lever.

Are you sure that gas cap lock will not open with just any old thing stuck in there? I have a 74 DT175, and it opens with just about anything that will fit in the keyway. I've had it apart, and as was said, there are no tumblers in there. Have you shot it full of WD-40 by chance to see if your getting full travel in there?
27 Apr 2021 08:26 #34

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Some caps in my experience need to have a somewhat correct key to work...  I don't think they are keyed exactly like the ignition or seat lock but just anything doesn't always work.  I'm not a fan of that style cap so speaking mostly from memory which could be way off...  and likely is...  

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
27 Apr 2021 12:47 #35

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Two things.
Part 1:
You could be half right, MarkT. I have never tried my DT250A tank with anything but the ignition key...by accident

This image is hidden for guests.

and that one does not work with just any key.

Part 2:
Bit of a hijack, but at least it's still gas caps. I was just looking through the Partzilla webpages for a replacement for a 1975 DT125B gas cap, the one with the vertical (as opposed to the 1974 series' horizontal entry we were just talking about) key entry with the swipe-left (get it?) slot cover. Not available. I looked at a few more years and models and found this: a 1975 DT100B listing the same cap available and in stock for $67.06. And when I click on it, it lists the 1974 DT125A (which we were just talking about above) as using the same cap.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...975/dt100b/fuel-tank
But that can't be. They're two completely different caps. On the other hand, the DT100B cap, which is what I linked above, when clicked on shows that it fits the 1975DT125B WHICH PARTZILLA JUST SAID IS UNAVAILABLE!
www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/3FU-246...366deb63566f01def181
Help me out, here. Some disgruntled employee just mumbo-jomboed things around as he was cleaning out his desk after being fired?

27 Apr 2021 13:16 #36

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Quick update. 

Got the key in the mail and just went out and checked it. All the locks were full of plastic bits from the internal covers that I assume used to be there. Cleared them out with a little allen key and got them all working. 

And as far as the gas cap lock goes, I had to put the key in all the way for it to open. 

Last edit: 30 Apr 2021 19:00 by torqueflight.
30 Apr 2021 18:59 #37

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by apex on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Oh man I saw this bike on CL or FB, can't remember which, in California City I think? Price was right, but sitting here in Modesto I was struggling with a day trip south and back to pick it up, so I chose to "close the browser." So nice to see it here with promise to run!
Allrighty Then
30 Apr 2021 22:23 #38

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

This one was in Los Angeles. I not sure what the market is for these, but the price seemed really good, at least to me. Cant wait to get it going. 

Next up is getting the throttle slide unseized and the rest of the carb apart, cleaning the surface rust out of the gas tank and  maybe removing the top end to clean the dirt out that got sucked in.
01 May 2021 08:17 #39

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Got the air filter and case cover in the mail. Picked up a used pan at the thrift store to boil the carb to get the slide unstuck. Also got some apple cider vinegar to clean the surface rust out of the inside of the gas tank. 

Went to take off the throttle tube and one of the phillps screws wouldnt loosen and stripped. I really need one of those things that twist when you hammer it but, I just ended up cutting a slot in the screw with a dremel, which worked. Ill have to pick up another screw. 

The throttle tube was seized up too. Pulled it off and found a ton of rust. 

Wish I had a wire wheel on hand, but just sanded it and whipped it down with some oil. Throttle tube is back on and now it moves freely and I dont need a throttle cable (forgot to take a photo).

Then brought the pan of boiling water out and soaked the carb for 5-10 min and the slide came right out. You can see to the right where I set the stator cover on. Need to order the bolts now. 

Last edit: 02 May 2021 23:02 by torqueflight.
02 May 2021 22:56 #40

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart