facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

1974 DT125A Build/Restore

• torqueflight
  • torqueflight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by torqueflight on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Got the clutch in. Kinda weird that they put clutch material on aluminum plates. I guess we shall see how that works out, but clutch is in and holding. 

The timing advance was definitely frozen at the starting part, because it now runs like a beast. Pulls hard enough that it just flattened the new rear tube. Time for a rim lock I guess. 

There is some sputtering on the top end on the revs so Ill have to figure that out. 

Top end rpm also pulls better with the restrictor thing taken out of the end of the exhaust. 

Need to get the oil sorted in the forks and find some tires. Boysen reeds are on the way too. Ill update how those go. 

Anyone know of an expansion pipe that might work, besides those expensive vintage ones? Was the MX one any better?
Last edit: 03 Jun 2021 12:56 by torqueflight.
03 Jun 2021 12:54 #91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Engine rattle sound. 

So I started hearing a rattle that sounding like piston slap. Like something metal rattling around in the head. 

I pulled the head and jug and everything looks new. No issues.  

How much play should there be with the connecting rod at the crank? Theres a little bit of a wiggle. 

Is there anything specific with these bikes I should look out for? The milage is so low I wouldnt think anything would be worn out. 

I also heard from someone else that it could be clutch related and seeing that I just changed the clutch it could be. The clutch plates are now aluminum which I guess could make a ringing type noise. I also didnt lock tite the threads on the bolts. Might go back in there and have a look. 

Gonna leave the head off till I hear back so I can check for whatever. 
05 Jun 2021 22:45 #92

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Watched a video on checking the connecting rod and everything seems fine. So, slapping it back together. 
06 Jun 2021 00:13 #93

Replied by RT325 on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

I'm still a few pages behind--story of my life--. Just looking at your pic of the clutch parts & pressure plate. With that type you need a steel in last or the drive is taken on the spring posts. So first plate in would be a fiber & last plate a steel,-- unless someone's added an extra steel in which case you 'could' put one in first. If it's in & running don't worry as never seen any serious problems caused by that. The alloy pressure plate wouldn't be quite covering the full surface of that last fiber but it'll survive. Also if you have clutch rattle at idle--more 175's than 125 problem, there's a huge rubber ring that stretches over the gear or basket & fits in between gear & basket to dampen any movement. Thought i saw something like that in one pic but might've just been a bit of a cable showing. Below is the Partzilla drawing "which is drawn wrong" & not the first time. Just things to trick us. Yep someone's been there before if those spreader rings are gone.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1974/dt125a/clutch
06 Jun 2021 03:59 #94

Replied by pabdt on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

regarding the tube...I would look for loose spokes as a possibility also. 
74 DT 360 ... resto in progress.
06 Jun 2021 12:44 #95

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Thanks. The tube was the tire spinning on the rim, it was torn at the valve.

Ok, so Im chasing this damn thing out with it bogging at full throttle. Ive taken the carb apart twice. Just did it again and cleaned every jet again. 

I pulled up a video on adjusting the needle because it seems like a rich problem, upon watching the video the guy shows pulling out the needle plate.

My bike has nothing. The needle just floats. I assume thats not good and that I need the plate right?
06 Jun 2021 13:45 #96

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Right.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
06 Jun 2021 13:51 #97

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=173498652836&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Call the company tomorrow and ask if you don't get an answer here.
06 Jun 2021 16:44 #99

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=184079641420&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart