facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

• SKYDANCER46
  • SKYDANCER46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

I finished up the 73 RT3 360 today. It cleaned up nice. Replace the original fuzzy air filter (falling apart) with a new Yamaha foam filter, checked all the oil levels, drained 1/2 the oil from the oil tank. It was way to full. Replaced the silver wiring harness sleeve on the rear tail light wires. There was black tape in spots where it was cracking and tie wraps on it. Refinshed the pipe to a more satin low gloss finish like stock. Lubed all the cables. Set the tire pressures to 13lbs front and 16lbs rear. That's it! Didn't touch the engine, didn't even look at the sparkplug! It starts, runs and idles so good that there is nothing needed. Not even a air screw adjustment.
Still trying to decide if i want to replace the original tires or leave them on the bike?
Here are a few pictures of the bike done.

Now on the the 72 DT250. Much more work on this bike!

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Dougo, Badger52, liferbiker, Pedalcrazy
Last edit: 06 Oct 2019 16:33 by SKYDANCER46.
06 Oct 2019 15:08 #11

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

Thank you so much for the close-up pics! I am "preserving" (not restoring) a one owner, plus me, RT3 same as yours. I couldn't understand why the hole in the engine cover over top of the chain and the hole in tool box bracket below the mount. Your pics showed me the light! I ran right out and promptly routed the oil tank vent hose into the hole in the engine cover and routed the battery vent hose through the hole in the tool box bracket! I came right back inside to thank you! Love that your bike is so original. Thank you for sharing!
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, SKYDANCER46
06 Oct 2019 19:14 #12

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Glade the pictures helped you out. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out where hoses and wire harness are suppose to run on these old bikes. I'm a stickler about that myself.

Thanks, I myself am pretty amazed how original this RT3 is. I looked this bike over from top to bottom while cleaning it and can not find anything (bolts, nuts, screws and hoses) that have been altered, messed up or replaced. Everything looks to be 100% stock. Original mirror, original turn signals, original tool kit still in the tool compartment. Usually these are 1st 3 things to go on these bikes. all the cables are original. I always look at things like cables, tires, Handlebars, grips, carb vent tubes, fuel line and clamps, air filters. phillip head screws are usually always messed up on these old Yamaha's. Not on this bike. All the chrome is excellent, upper fork tubes are mint on this bike. The low mileage on this bike seems to match the condition for sure. Plus being a one owner bike properly garaged and taken care of does help alot. The only thing i see showing it's age is some of the rubber on the bike but not all of it. The original tires are just starting to get some small age cracks in them, A couple of rubber gromments and the original rubber tank strap are showing there age and only 2 places of the silver wiring harness sleeve was hard and cracked. I replaced the tail light wire sleeve. The other is by the steering head. I left that one alone. The rest of it is soft and plyable. The seat cover has a small area down low and towards the back that has a small scuff mark worn thru the cover. Maybe from a 2nd passengers weight causing the seat cover to touch the hot pipe while riding? Not really sure. Usually bikes here in Michigan never stay this nice or orignal after being 45 years old. Most are ridden into the ground!

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Pedalcrazy
Last edit: 07 Oct 2019 16:19 by SKYDANCER46.
07 Oct 2019 16:10 #13

Replied by 2fishkev on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

I also thank you for the great pics! I have one waiting in line to be deep cleaned and brought up to snuff mechanically. Mine was stored in a shop for ten years and had oil and dust preserving the surfaces nicely.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
07 Oct 2019 16:50 #14

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Looks like Kaplan cycles is geting ready to list this RT3 360 on e-bay. Nice bike but i see alot of things altered or not great on a bike they claim is prestine? If you go to there youtube videos they have 2 or 3 other videos on this bike and a 72 DT250. Nice.

Here is the one with both bikes.

1970 DT250C
08 Oct 2019 15:25 #15

I Ike watching their videos to see the bikes they get ahold of. Sr’s knowledge is overcome by his enthusiasm, which is infectious, but Jr is more knowledgeable. But in the end their first priority seems to be to sell what they have for a correct original price, unless it’s too far from correct. This is just my opinion, and I still enjoy their channel. Buyer beware!
09 Oct 2019 16:38 #16

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Both bikes are listed now. I like the 21" front wheel someone put on the 72 DT250. Looks good on that bike.

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev
Last edit: 09 Oct 2019 17:28 by SKYDANCER46.
09 Oct 2019 17:26 #17

A 21” with the low fender isn’t as pleasing to my eyes as the 19”. Just the way it fills the gap more. I tend to like a little space between tire and fender. But that’s what’s great about this forum and these bikes. I like a lot of the subtle differences people have incorporated and don’t prefer others. And the study of it is my favorite procrastination. Love learning things here!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.
09 Oct 2019 18:19 #18

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Ok, now that the RT3 is all done and sitting pretty in the garage, i started playing around with the DT2. Took the forks off and completely disassembled, cleaned and installed new fork seals and oil. Pitting was very minor and up by the triple clamp on the one fork leg so i left it alone. I have to keep reminding myself i am not restoring this bike! just fixing it up to be a good rider. Didn't even polish the lower fork legs!! Installed a stock low fender, thanks to member : 1971DT250.

Replaced the oil injection cable with one from Kdi. Bike started and ran fine but i still took the carb off to take a look at jetting and anything else that has been changed. It was very clean inside and stock jetted, however it had the wrong size o-ring that goes on the setter jet. thankfully i have 4 or 5 yamaha o-rings left from my restoring days. Also ordered a rubber boot joint that goes from the carb to the air cleaner housing. It was rock hard. installed a new Yamaha battery in the bike.

Took the cylinder head off to inspect. Piston was clean and carbon free, still on stock bore. Did notice the ring gap increasing as the piston goes down in the cylinder. Installed the new Yamaha air filter. Bike has a aftermarket flasher on it. Makes a beeping noise like a constrution vehicle when it's backing up when you turn the turn signals on. I guess i need to find a good used yamaha flasher relay or something that doesn't beep when flashing. Took the seat apart. going to replace the seat foam and cover on this bike. Going to pull the dent out of the pipe tomorrow and refinish the complete pipe on the DT2 like the RT3 360's pipe.

One thing that was odd on the DT2 250 is when i went down to have both bikes titles put in my name i notice the vin # was incorrect on the DT250's title?? Didn't even look at it when i bought it. So had to have a police officer come out and inspect the bike and fill out the proper paper work ( if not stolen)! so i could get the bike titled with the correct vin number.

Wasn't a big deal, he came right out within 15 minutes to check it out. We got talking and he really couldn't keep his eyes off the RT3. He stayed for about a hour as we talked about bikes! Must have not been a very busy day for him! He told me some good stories he had when doing vin inspections. Everything was good to go so went back down to the Secretary of state and received both new titles for the DT250 and RT3. They let me keep the "A" original title for the RT3 one owner bike so i have it and a new title in my name. Something new here in Michigan is you can pay an extra $5.00 and get the new title right then and now!! No more waiting 2 weeks to get it in the mail.

Next on the list is new tires and tubes, new chain, and maybe get the speedo and tach face plates replaced. I found a person that has the trip meter knob, boot and screw for the speedo along with the new face plates.

1970 DT250C
Last edit: 12 Oct 2019 20:03 by SKYDANCER46.
12 Oct 2019 20:00 #19

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

How do you keep your garage so clean?
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
13 Oct 2019 06:44 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart