facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

• SKYDANCER46
  • SKYDANCER46's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Take a look at these 2 Enduro's was created by SKYDANCER46

Hello all, Been a few years since i posted anything on here. Been kinda looking for a nice 1970-71 DT250 to buy (not to restore) One that is already been done or a nice original bike which is almost impossible to find! But I did come across these 2 Yamaha Enduro's. The guy was selling his wifes bike, the 1972 DT250 because she can't ride anymore. Wasn't selling the RT3 because it was his father in-laws bike which he bought brand new. It's a original one owner bike with 922 miles on it. Hard to believe there are bikes still out there like this. Anyways i ended up buying it too.

It's not perfect but sure is nice for a original. Only thing that has been changed is the battery according to the owner. Came with original "A" title with his father in-laws sign off, original tool kit, manual, 2 ignition keys and the smaller stearing lock key. Check out the vintage 1973 license plate. Has the numbers 360 on it. The gentleman had it in a climate controlled garage and used gas without ethanol in it so the gas tanks and fuel systems are super clean inside. Both bikes start and run well but the RT3 runs like a new bike which i guess it should.

Oh by the way, everything works on the RT3 including all lights, high and low beam, turn signals, horn, even the little red light for high beam in the headlight housing. he says no bulbs have ever been replaced? I gues the bikes were only ridden a few times a year during the day, not night.
The only thing not working on the DT250 is the little red indicator light.

Anyways, thought i would share.

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Steve F, Dougo, Badger52, Dirtboy, Snglsmkr, KennyV, Dfeustel, liferbiker, Marvin Mudman, inspectorcallahan
Last edit: 15 Sep 2019 15:42 by SKYDANCER46.
14 Sep 2019 17:30 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

You--you lucky man you!!, i'd give my left arm for a score like that. Look after that 360 & go & give the 250 a good work out. Be careful turning the steering to the right when on the sidestand as can easily fall over/climb over that way--just a pet gripe of mine sorry. Enjoy!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
14 Sep 2019 17:40 #2

Replied by nutt on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

Both beautiful bikes! A purchase like that, you can drop the mic.....can't beat it!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: SKYDANCER46
14 Sep 2019 19:16 #3

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by SKYDANCER46 on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

I don't know about being lucky. Nice to come across vintage Enduro's like this for sure! I just wish it would have been a 1970 or 71 DT1 250!! thanks

1970 DT250C
15 Sep 2019 15:46 #4

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Checked it out further today. Like i said it's not perfect but could be a great rider bike/show bike. checked the air filter. Sure enough it looks like the original fuzzy hair foam filter. Of coarse not in good shape. There is 2 small dings in the gas tank. I think my paintless dent remover can get them out . The original tires are starting to get some dry rot cracks in them. serious riders will need to replace the tires and tubes. Seat cover has 1 or 2 small holes in it down by the exhuast pipe at the rear. Not bad enough to replace it unless you want more of a show bike and not so much a rider. There is a small ding in one of the fork chrome covers. I guess i could change one out from the 72 DT250. there good. Upper fork tubes are extremly long on this bike. At full extension the speedo cable is tight tight tight. I have pictures of my Dad's new RT3 from back in 73 and it was the same way. I slid the tubes up in the triple clamps a 1/4 inch to help. He had them down past the fork cap rim. Front forks feel real nice on this bike. I see some black paint overspray on the kick stand spring so he must have touch up the kick stand. Exhaust pipe looks repainted to me. looks good though. That's about it from what i can see without taking the bike apart. Everthing else looks in order and stock. Original mirror has the tuning fork emblem. Chrome looks good on this bike and could be polished up nice. Handlebars are nice and straight. That's a plus! The 72 DT250 were bent. I had to straighten them today.

1970 DT250C
15 Sep 2019 16:11 #5

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by run103 on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

BEAUTY'S I would quit restoring and just nurse them to the end
Doug
15 Sep 2019 17:14 #6

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Thanks ! No more frame up restorations for me. After 30 plus bikes maybe closer to 45 i am done. The RT3 is good to go as is. No restoration needed. Maybe some new tires and tubes and a new air filter. That's it. The 72 DT250 would be an excellent canadate for a frame up restoration!! I wish i would have found them this clean when i was restoring bikes.

1970 DT250C
16 Sep 2019 16:28 #7

Replied by liferbiker on topic Take a look at these 2 Enduro's

I don't think I'd restore either one. Their only original once. You could only dream of finding 1 like this, you found 2 really nice bikes!
16 Sep 2019 19:58 #8

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I think i might make this 72 DT250 into a nice little play bike. NOT RESTORE IT. Couple of things i see right away. I will need a stock low front fender, bracket and front stems. I'm not crazy about the PP front mudder fender on it. Speedo is missing the reset knob, screw and rubber boot. Anyone have these items for sale please let me know.

Next will be a new seat foam, seat cover, air filter, fork seals, tires and tubes , gas cap seal kit and footpeg rubbers. . Seat base is like new. Doesn't need painting. Hard to find bikes here in Michigan this rust free, this old. Most are rust buckets or been restored.

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465
Last edit: 20 Sep 2019 19:19 by SKYDANCER46.
20 Sep 2019 17:00 #9

• SKYDANCER46
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Have not seen one of these stock fuzzy Yamaha air filters in a long long time! Most likely the original with 922 miles on the bike. 2nd picture is the air filter out of the 72 DT250. Now that's creative. Good thing these bikes were only ridden a few times a year according to the owner. Looks like i am purchasing 2 new filters. I will keep the original filter for kicks.

I put the RT3 front fender onto the DT250 to see how it fits. 21" wheel compared to a 19" wheel. Took the wheel and forks off the RT3 so i could detail clean and replace out the chrome fork dust cover cap that had a ding in it on the RT3 from the DT250. Was able to remove the ding good enough to use that chrome cover on the DT250. Was careful to assemble the RT3 parts back on just as removed. I even reused the axle cotter pin as it looked like the original.

1970 DT250C
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, Dfeustel
Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 17:59 by SKYDANCER46.
22 Sep 2019 12:36 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart