facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by torinoscj on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi, I inherited my dad's bike, a 1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro with just over 2k miles on it.
It has been parked in his shop since around 1976 and the last time we fired it up was in 1992.
Since he was an old Navy hand, when he put it away in his concrete floored, insulated shop, he coated all the cheap chrome with vasoline to keep it from rusting.
I am thinking about bringing the old girl back to life and am curious as what to replace and how to go about doing it the proper way.
He always ran it completely out of gas before parking it.
It is in perfect condition, has never been on it's side, and even has the original tires on it.
I am sure that they will need to be changed due to their age, but they still look great.
The bike has the extra seat on the back that I used to ride on as a kid, as well as the chrome rack behind that for his lunch box when he would ride it to work.
Cheers, Bill
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, MarkT, swm, Swoop56, Badger52, KennyV, Gr8uncleal, Pedalcrazy
17 Dec 2019 20:36 #791

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Nice!
18 Dec 2019 00:15 #792

Replied by mdscott on topic And just who do you think you are?

Your dad was very smart for prepping the bike for storage.
Where about do you live, those cabins look familiar.
I like the guy in the yellow jacket riding gear, nice slacks. :haha
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
18 Dec 2019 08:41 #793

Replied by torinoscj on topic And just who do you think you are?

The cabins were down at Cannon Beach, Oregon, maybe Seaside, I'm not sure. These crazy WWII vets had more fun and lived life fuller then I ever will!
I miss them all very much.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, mdscott, KennyV
19 Dec 2019 00:09 #794

Replied by KJB on topic And just who do you think you are?

Great photos...…….
KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50
'94 Yamaha TW200

19 Dec 2019 01:21 #795

Replied by Grussell on topic And just who do you think you are?

I currently live in Colorado. I had been away from bikes for a long time. Recently a friend of mine made me a deal on a 2010 Triumph America I couldn't pass up. After riding it for a month i got the bug again. I came across a tired 78 DT400 that had been sitting in a garage for 21 years and I am now in the process of bringing it back to life. When I was young I was a Yamaha factory trained technician and worked in several dealerships in North Texas. I raced MX and even had a sponsor on a Maaco 450.

My bikes in order: first was a brand new 72 DT125, 74 Suzuki RM125, 74 MX125, 74 MX250 and in 1975 I got the first YZ125 monoshock in Louisiana. I won a lot of races on that one! I also had a 76 XS400 that I rode to school and then work. Now I have the Triumph, working on the DT400 and now looking for a 1 to 3 year old YZ450FX and enter in a few Enduros. Not sure why I stayed away for so long..........
1978 DT400
1975 DT250
1976 YZ125X - my post vintage race bike
2022 KTM 300XCW - my race bike

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52
Last edit: 01 Jan 2020 09:09 by Grussell.
01 Jan 2020 09:04 #796

Welcome! from the UK back to the fold! :Buds

And nice find.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2020 10:13 by Gr8uncleal.
01 Jan 2020 10:12 #797

Replied by Wax on topic And just who do you think you are?

Greetings from Alabama! Like a lot of others here I grew up riding, but have been away from bikes for a very long time. Growing up my father was an enthusiastic weekend trail rider and encouraged my brother and I to pick it up as well.

My first bike was a Honda Z50R I got at eight years old. I vividly remember riding it in the snow and crashing head first into a tree within the first ten minutes of owning it. It would have been an 88-89 and the best I can remember would have looked like this:

Our next bike was an inherited Suzuki 80cc that I got from my cousin when my uncle was stationed overseas in the Air Force. It looks like a tiny thing now, but it felt like a big step up then.

The last bike I rode seriously was my father's Kawasaki KDX250. Guns and Roses were rocking the radio and that bike was the baddest thing I had ever seen. Some might think and electric blue seat with pink lettering to be gaudy, but that color scheme is still burned into my memory as being awesome.

Time moved on and I became more interested in playing guitar or trying to pick up a date (in my beater '86 Toyota MR2) that I just stopped caring about riding anymore.

My dad sold off the bikes while I was in college and I really didn't think about riding again until recently.

About four years ago I moved out of a neighborhood to a small piece of acreage and I offered to buy my kids a go-kart. They graduated from the karts to a little Polaris side by side (the need for speed) and last year I bought a little Baja 200cc mini bike.

Neither of my sons have been interested in the mini-bike, but I have ridden the thing like crazy. It got me to thinking I wanted a motorcycle again and a few questionable decisions later I picked up a 1977 DT250.

It's been around 20 years (and 50lbs) since I rode - here's to hoping I don't hurt myself too badly.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., KJB, darinm
31 Jan 2020 07:35 #798

Welcome! from the UK.

Looks like a great project you've got there - loads of help here on the forum and check out all of the manuals in the Tech Library and the search function is available to see if any queries have been raised/answered already. Don't forget to post photos of progress.

Those colours on the KDX were the fashion at the time - I bought a Yamaha TDR250 new in 1990 in similar colours. Pictures are attached of the specific model, but not my actual bike.

31 Jan 2020 08:13 #799

Replied by KennyV on topic And just who do you think you are?

Great story and pictures Welcome!
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
31 Jan 2020 08:25 #800

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart