facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome!
20 Mar 2020 10:45 #821

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Started Young on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi. I'm Paul M. from Zeeland, MIchigan. I'm a 61 year old semi-retired tinkerer. I recently acquired a '76 GT80 that someone painted red and put the tank decals on backwards. They basically turned it into an MX by removing the lights, etc. I wouldn't have known any of this without the knowledge that I gained from this site in the Tech Library VIN info. I also found a '79 "parts bike" that I bought quite cheap that's missing a lot of things.
I've had Yamaha Enduros since I turned 13 in 1971 and bought a JT1. I burned a hole in a piston and once had a wrist pin bearing come apart on that first one, which required learning about them as I had to fix it myself. Since then I've had a 125, two 175s, two 360s, and I still have a '71 DT1E 250. Also have a 72 Honda 250 Motosport. I really enjoy the Enduros because of their simplicity and love working on them again.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 2fishkev, mdscott, JayB, Schu
26 Mar 2020 19:26 #822

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Schu on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome from the other side of Michigan. I mean I am literally straight east from you as far as you can go without crossing the border to Canada. I too am 61 years old and started with a JT. As you can see by my avatar and my signature... I am a severe Enduroholic.
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Started Young
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 19:37 by Schu.
26 Mar 2020 19:36 #823

Replied by mdscott on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome, :OnFire
Yes working on 2S are more gooder, :Buds

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
26 Mar 2020 19:36 #824

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Yamahamadingdong on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey!

I'm new here and stumbled on this forum while looking for help.

I am a fan of bikes, especially Yamahas, and have been since I was a little kid, but never got into riding one. I tried when I was about 12 on a cousin's old honda dirt bike, but they had the hand brake disconnected, I didn't know a foot brake was even a concept, and I definitely crashed into a parked car, bounced off of it, landed on the still spinning tire and footpegs... got pretty jacked up, and never tried again. I got lucky. The tire hit the parked car's tire. The parked car was his neighbors like 1964 Mustang lol. that would have been bad.

I finally decided to try again and got a Yamaha.

I think i gravitate to them from watching Rambo so much as a kid. That's the bike he steals from the dude when he goes on the police chase.

looking forward to seeing more Yamaha related stuff. Everyone around here has Hondas mostly. or Harleys.

that might be why I couldn't find a good Serow, but found like 900 Hondas.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, shyted, darinm
04 Apr 2020 18:56 #825

Replied by darinm on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey welcome, quite a few of us are Serow fans too, it's amazing how well they hold value for what so many pan as a beginner bike.

What did you end up with, and of course, please show us a picture!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
04 Apr 2020 19:28 #826

• Yamahamadingdong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Yamahamadingdong on topic And just who do you think you are?

I am a big fan of the Serow when it has the hand-guards on it. I wanted to find a 90s blue/pink one, but couldn't find a good sale. Lots of flakey people on Craigslist.

I ended up with a 1975 Enduro DT175 which I am currently going on an adventure with lighting, in a separate thread here!

I attached a couple of photos. One is the day I got it, one is after I took the original hand grips off (and put some skull ones on), and then with the hand guards on... any modifications I do, I try to avoid messing up the original things. So I saved the old grips for example. Same with the other things I am pulling off.

and then there is also the Serow I would kill someone for. I wish I could find one of those in that exact color setup!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, darinm
04 Apr 2020 23:43 #827

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Welcome! from the UK!
05 Apr 2020 01:14 #828

Replied by scmoto864 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Let me introduce myself. My name is Stacy and I’m located in SC. I came across this site while researching information for my 1975 dt100b. It was a Christmas gift when I was 12. I recently dug it out of my parents storage building and it’s a basket case. Help!
06 Apr 2020 18:43 #829

Welcome! from the UK.

Wish my parents were like yours - I had to battle all the way to get a moped (50cc with pedals) and then motorbike. My mum even offered to buy me a car if I gave up the bike! :EEEK

If you had a bike when you were young, then you probably have at least half an idea of what should go where?!

Basket cases can be great fun, but also very challenging.

First up, I'd probably lay out all the parts, or maybe hang them loosely on the frame, to see if there are any obvious parts missing.

Was it boxed up for a particular reason (engine seize, crash etc)?

When looking for parts, if you search on Partzilla and CMSNL, they will show other Yamahas which used a particular part - select on the particular part (eg footpeg) and scroll down a little. Their lists aren't comprehensive - Partzilla is US only and CMSNL tend not to show European bikes from that era.

One step at a time and post your questions as you go. Oh, and also post some piccies!!

Good luck.
07 Apr 2020 00:23 #830

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart