facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1974 DT125A Build/Restore

• torqueflight
  • torqueflight's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by torqueflight on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

Thanks. I have one on order already but decided to make one anyways. 

The one I made does cover those things. The hole is just big enough of the needle but holds the clip and its big enough for the spring to press down on it. 

My throttle isnt sluggish though its moves freely. I just have a high rpm cut out. 
07 Jun 2021 11:13 #111

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Took it for a ride. The points adjustment seemed to help a lot. Although there is still some break up on the top end its not cutting out as bad now. 

07 Jun 2021 13:26 #112

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Just backed the points out even more and sanded till both were all the way shiny and it runs like a beast now. Even more power all the way till redline. So it def was the points. 

It pulls so hard that now the clutch is slipping near redline and between all the gears WOT. Not sure what to do on that one besides springs on putting washers on the old springs. 
Last edit: 07 Jun 2021 13:30 by torqueflight.
07 Jun 2021 13:29 #113

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Had this thing I storage for a while now and just took it out. Time to get it up and fully functioning.

I have some new tires on the way. The battery seemed to survive.

Took it out today on the old tires for a shake down run and the clutch is slipping on the top end. Not sure what thats about. Also kind of wants to pull when in gear with the clutch in. I wonder if the packs are sticking. I put new clutch material plates in awhile back and never rode it. Seemed to be fine back then. Maybe it needs to be ridding and soak up some oil, I dont know.
11 Nov 2023 17:26 #114

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Looking at clutch springs right now, not sure if the 125 and 175 springs are the same. If the 175 are stronger Ill go with that. Also Im curious what years would work.

Im looking at this but have no clue if they would work.

www.amazon.com/Vesrah-Clutch-Springs-Yam...g%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-1
11 Nov 2023 17:53 #115

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hey guys gonna need help on this one.

Not sure if I can upload photos here yet buy Ill do my best to explain.

I changed my trans oil twice to see if I can get the slipping to stop since I think I had the wrong oil in it.

Took it out when it was raining and started having a miss fire issue, it ran really good before this.

Waited till it was dry out today and took it out, still misfiring, so I pulled the cover, cleaned the points and it was still doing it. Adjusted the points and it ran even worse, then lost all spark.

Pulled the wires and cleaned all the contacts got the spark back kinda, wasnt running too good.

So I pulled the plug and grounded it to watch for spark as I held the e start. The first few revolutions (5-6 times) it would spark and then stop.

Now I have no spark at all no matter what I try.

I checked that the plug wire was seated in the coil. As a side note when I did have spark it looked very strong.

I tested to see if there was voltage getting to the points and there was 12v.

I looked through the cracks where the magneto is and there was lots of sparks coming from in there, not sure if thats bad.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Edit, do you think I could have a problem with the key or switch grounding/intermitent grounding because of them getting wet in the rain?
Last edit: 16 Nov 2023 16:25 by torqueflight.
16 Nov 2023 16:15 #116

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

This thing seems to be going to hell at the moment.

I pulled the gas tank. Pulled every wire under the tank to matter what it was and cleaned all the connections. I got the spark back and lost the starter. FFS. Not sure why. The starter relay is clicking loudly though. Not sure if something is ground out. IDK

Took the throttle switch off and pulled it fully apart and cleaned the kill switch and start button. Everything looked fine for the most part.

Even with the spark back, it kind of wants to starts and then coughs. Still wont full run. I kept pulling the plug to make sure there was spark, and there was.

Tired to set the points again, still nothing. I think Im doing it right. I roll the engine around till the gap opens to its widest position and then set it there.

Also noticed if I grab on to the counter weight advance (the thing that spreads out when the bike revs up) there is wiggle in it. So much so that if the points are open I can close them with the wiggle. Im sure that cant be good. Is that advance directly connected to the crank or is it just wiggling the magneto part behind the cover?

Thanks
16 Nov 2023 23:57 #117

• torqueflight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Tired again today to start it and some how lost at the timing. I barely wants to start and then backfires. Not sure how I could lose the timing I really didnt touch much. 
17 Nov 2023 20:39 #118

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

From what you're saying, maybe the armature came loose?
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
17 Nov 2023 20:43 #119

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 1974 DT125A Build/Restore

It would help a lot if you could post a video or link some photos you can use Imgur or google photos. How are you setting the timing? Like MarkT says is the armature loose? 
17 Nov 2023 22:00 #120

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart