facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

• shyted
  • shyted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by shyted on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Well ,been cracking on with the HT and done a spot of nickle plating in the science lab.
Today i also picked up the freshly vapour blasted parts from Big Al's in Warrington.
See the attachments.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, MarkT, 1971DT250, swm, RT325, Pillsbury, Bent Trigger
16 Feb 2018 10:04 #11

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

By the way, all the bits on the last shot are parts that i've nickle plated. Best purchase ever.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bent Trigger
20 Feb 2018 16:19 #12

Replied by apex on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Beautiful man, just beautiful. My Avatar says it all, absolutely love the purple HT1!!
Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
21 Feb 2018 22:54 #13

Replied by Scottddove on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Shyted can you give some info on the plating you are doing?
22 Feb 2018 19:07 #14

Replied by Pillsbury on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Nice work!
1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185
22 Feb 2018 20:03 #15

Replied by Rick C. on topic HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )

Very Very Nice !
23 Feb 2018 14:37 #16

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

I most certainly can.
First of all i bought a nickle plating kit and read the instructions over and over.
The kit comes with an air pump for agitating the solution,nickle and copper wire ,crock clips,buckets,multi meter,heater and the chemicals.
Assemble as stated in the instructions and mix the plating,degeasing and acid solutions. Buy some distilled water and mix the degreaser ,acid and plating solution.Cover it all up. Get a 12 Volt battery charger and rig your multi meter in the circuit and put it on 10 AMP max. Assemble the variable resistor and make a circuit ,positive to your Nickle plates and negative to a bar where by you can suspend your items to be plated.
Put a rotary brass brush onto your bench grinder or power drill and start cleaning .Don't press to hard as you dont want marks in the metal.You may have to use a file to get rid of some deep corrossion depends how pedantic you are ,and im an A hole for stuff like that.
The final prep is with either Scotch brite and or solvolve auto sol and 2000 grit rubbing down paper. With the spokes,well i put them to the wire wheel first,then got them in a drill locked in my vice and set them on a medium speed . Then i got purplre scotch brite and held the spoke allong the entire length untill it went shiney. Then i cleaned it with wire wool. After that everything goes in acid for three mins.
You wear gloves from there on in.A so you don't absorb the chemicals through your skin and B you don't get greas on the job.
After they're fizzed up , drop them in distilled water. Switch the air pump on which has the filter end in the nickle solution .This agitates the nicle ions and promotes an even plate.
When the bath goes up to 22 degrees C ,lower your jobs in the bright nickle plate solution . You are looking for 4 amp for a good plate.
Don't try plating individual small items. Put plenty in at once . Watch you don't earth your circuit out to the live nickle plates which are suspended on the live side,in the solution. I got best results on smaller thinner items with one plate at 8 mins,remove polish with fine wire wool ,dip in the distilled water before and after the rub down,then back in the bath for a further 6 mins. Wash off in the distilled then dry them off with a heat gun and leave them there for a few houres.
Remove the residue with fine wire wool,then polish with car polish by hand and there you go.
When i get back home from my shift in a couple of weeks i'll photo the entire process if you're interested.
Hope that explains the way i got my results . Depends how fussy you are and as i say i am a bit fussy .
Regards Ted.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: tvl
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 16:19 by shyted.
23 Feb 2018 16:12 #17

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

By the way,i also have a yellow passivation kit which came with the set up. Need's to be done successfully at 55 degrees C for the best results.
The kit cost $ 170.00 ish, but i'll tell you the chemicals and you can make your own if you use a bit of nesh ( Nesh is Savvy ,brains etc where i come from):OnFire
Forgot to say you need love,involvement and pacience as with all things,and they don't sell that.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2018 16:26 by shyted.
23 Feb 2018 16:23 #18

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Just a quick update.
Amaizing thing just happened. Went on a vintage honda website as i caught a glimps of a front mudguard for my CT1 on an add they had .
Went into it and there we are CT 1 front mudguard. Ok not so amaizing but the fact that a bit further in was a HT1B seat .
Lucky lucky lucky.
Crank rebuilt and rebore done first over size.
Un fortunately i got called back to work and i'm here for 23 days .
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465, SouthsideWJK
28 Mar 2018 10:51 #19

• shyted
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Well here we are again.This time with some decent progress.
As with these thing's,not everything has gone to plan. In the main,it's been paint work that's been a right pain in the neck.
More to the point ,getting the right colour of silver.
Bloody well searched high and low for something that has that flat look when applied . Getting it so it doesn't shrink when 2K lacquer is put over the paint underneath . Then trusting the work to someone else because i was pushed for space and lost the fine weather,only to give them the paint and they go and use their own from spraying an RT tank and panels they had had in the spray shop. Well that's darker. I was dumbfounded when i picked the mudguards from two bikes up and they were dark silver . I thought how can you be so effing thick as pig shit to do that ?
In future i'll keep looking and do the job till i get it right.
Any way , i've been pestering people for the right shade and type pf paint. That Duplicolor high temp ceramic stuff.
Well i've found some in Germany and its winging it's way to me now.
So, built the motor up to a point and i'm waiting for an "O" ring for the end of the crank coming from CMNSL in the Netherlands.
I've taken the chrome to be done.9 weeks before it comes back.That's in Hull which is on the East coast of Yorkshire here in the UK.
The bloke who runs the shop is up front and direct. He says to me in his best Yorkshire accent " Reet o flower,it'll be £100 per wheel,an a con see that there reet thick so thill shine like buggery when there dun. A don't knock VAT off coz am not gettin in bother wit tax man.Yer lookin 9 weeks lead time and a rough bill of £900 fur that lot theer that thaz fetched" Try saying it out loud as it reads if your from the US. You'll get the picture.
So the frames done, engine built ,got a seat base from Florida,foam and cover from Davie Kolbo .Had the front forks re chromed from Philpotts engineering in London.So the paint will be done by me.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465
Last edit: 31 Oct 2018 02:30 by shyted.
31 Oct 2018 02:25 #20

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart