HT1B rebuild (The Purple Ronnie )
So today as it's new years day, I started with buying a load of stuff off KDI rubber for the bikes here at Teds Towers.Then on to some electrolysis .
Then i pulled the purple Ronnie out and set about degreasing the decades of dirt from the wee beastie that have resided down the back of the engine and rear of the oil tank. All the bikes i have here have all suffered the same thing with the battery spewing its contents out at some point and attacking the lower rear mudguard, the battery box and frame/swinging arm.
Removed the body work,exhaust then took the engine out .
Pushed it into the house then and carried on stripping so basically now all i have to do is drop the front out,remove the bearings.Remove the back wheel and rear shocks , pull the pin from the swinging arm,remove the bushes then off to the powder coating man.
I'd like to know what paint that people have used on the cases . Something to stop oil and fuel destroying the finish.
Some pals of mine came round to have a nosey at it and were dumbfounded by it demure size.
Comments from them, " So what is it then"?, " where's that from"? " Hell fire it's in right good nick intit ( that's got to be said in a North of England dialect to get the right twang) which refers to it's condition for it's age.
I have to admit , it drew my beady eye the first time i saw it . It just said " take me home and you won't regret it" if you know what i mean.
thanks T6. Found this product for sale in the UK at £20.00 per tin. The fact it's that price says to me it must be top swag!
teamster6 wrote: I think most are useing duplicolor de1615 silver engine enamel on side cases fenders ect. If you want them really fuel resistant you could spray them with spraymax clear coat. Hang on to that ht1 they are getting really hard to find. I have a 1970 model which was the first yamaha I owned many years ago.
Oh yes while i think on,the mudguards had loads of ripples in . So i got a body work hammer and knocked them out. Having them epoxy primer coated then filling them in with isopon Alufill. Cracking stuff that.If you take your time , you can actually machine that stuff.
Stripped the engine. Due to the prolonged time the bike has stood,every screw was corroded in.They're a bugger to get out in one piece as they're soft as cream cheese . The con rod is stuffed at the little end with the surface degraded and tram lined. The mains are dry and noisy.
All to be expected .
Cases,carb and head are going for aqua blasting and the exterior cases are rubbed down for paint.
I pick the frame up later during the coming week as in four hours i have to return to work at the on shore office in Aberdeen for four days..
Will post some pics next week.
The seat and rear shocks continue to elude me