facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 DT250B Ignition Switch / Wiring Issues

• dcwilson
  • dcwilson's Avatar Topic Author
Hi -

I have a 1975 DT250B "survivor" that has the following symptoms:

1. Bike will start and run regardless of the ignition switch position - no key needed to start.
2. Kill switch will not shut down the bike.
3. Headlight and turn signals have worked in the past, but not robustly.
4. New, charged battery installed.
5. New bulbs installed.

Ideas on how to correct - would like the ignition switch to function - is that a ground problem that is also tied to the lights not working? ...or do I have a bad switch?  An ideas or knowledge appreciated.

Thanks!

++UPDATE: Shutoff by the key now possible - thanks! Now on to the kill switch and lighting...
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jewelkutter
Last edit: 17 Jun 2023 05:54 by dcwilson.
15 Jun 2023 04:30 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 1975 DT250B Ignition Switch / Wiring Issues

Greetings from Tennessee 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Is the ignition switch plugged in to the harness and have you checked out all of the connections and ground 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, dcwilson, Jewelkutter
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 05:13 by Ht1kid.
15 Jun 2023 05:12 #2

Replied by Jewelkutter on topic 1975 DT250B Ignition Switch / Wiring Issues

Hello
A multimeter to check for continuity is the cats meow , i never really knew how to use one until I visited this Great forum , you could check out my posting kill and key switches won't shut engine off, or something like . 
john

The following user(s) Liked this Post: dcwilson
15 Jun 2023 12:30 #3

Key switch and kill switch not working is the name of my posting type that in the search box
15 Jun 2023 12:36 #4

I would start with the key switch itself.

The black and black/white should connect with key "off" and disconnect with key "on".  Those are the wires for the ignition.  No battery power to either.  Black goes to ground and black/white goes to ignition coil.

The red and brown are opposite.  Red is disconnected from brown with key "off".  Red connects to brown with key "on".  Battery connects to red (through a fuse)  Brown powers all the battery-powered items...  taillight, turn signals, horn, brakelight...  i think that's it on that model.  headlight and gauge illumination is AC powered and only work when engine is running.

Many times here people post up with the same/similar issues...  here's the other thread.  There is good info there...  warning though...  some of it makes my head spin, even the stuff I wrote!

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/74-7...l-switch-not-working
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Jewelkutter
15 Jun 2023 16:24 #5

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 1975 DT250B Ignition Switch / Wiring Issues

MarkT you were on a mission to get it figured out jewel kutter you did a good job following MarkT instructions Great job to both of you 

Now my head isn’t spinning anymore 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, dcwilson, Jewelkutter
Last edit: 15 Jun 2023 17:58 by Ht1kid.
15 Jun 2023 17:57 #6

Hi DCWILSON, if you haven't already you could check all the connections for oxidation maybe get some deoxit or sand em clean then plug em back in if the fit a little loose you could gingerly squeeze the females a hair so the males will fit tighter or clip em an replace them with new you can get decent wiring connector kit on the web check the nuts and grounds on the rear blinker stems look for cracked or frayed wires at every connection .
There's excellent people here on the forum , very knowledgeable when it comes to our old bikes and willing to go the extra miles to help . I'm glad I came here.
It took 13 pages I'm still a little dizzy , but it was worth the time. so glad MarkT was patient with my mix ups , Great teacher ! wicked great teacher . .now I understand how the meter works for testing continuity and
how the switches function . it's a good tool to have . Wish I would have know a long time ago.
the signal light on the tach is another blinks off the battery on my 74. it all can be tested for continuity each individual circuit GR8UNCLEAL mentioned that on page 1. when I was just starting to learn it . I love this place .
John
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
15 Jun 2023 19:18 #7

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart