facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Possibly Balboa Blue - link to VIN tables below and this colour is shown there.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/250-cc-vin-numbers
09 Apr 2020 00:22 #841

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Wurli Nelson on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey Everyone. Fairly new to the vintage enduro game... been playing with motors and two wheels for a while. First bike was an early 80's XR 80, then a late 90's CR80R, then a string of home built and moderately modified vintage 2 stroke mopeds, then a string of vintage street bikes. Last few years I put all my eggs in one basket and built up a 1956 Panhead chopper from the ground. It's cool and all but it's pretty expensive to fix so I found myself a non-running, titled, "Complete" 1978 DT175 in mystery condition for pretty cheap to thrash around on and try to keep the panhead alive as long as possible haha. I say "mystery condition" because the clutch had already pulled out so the motor is a total question mark, but that's ok, I kinda wanted to dig into something again anyway! Probably mostly gonna be lurking and searching up past topics to get it going but I was pleased to stumble onto this forum.

I live in Minneapolis next to a massive train switching yard so I'll probably spend most of my time just trying to do wheelies and goofing around in a big gravel lot... but we'll see! Gotta get it running first. I've attached a pic of my new bike, and thanks in advance for all the info that has already been shared on here.
09 Apr 2020 12:53 #842

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Schu
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Schu on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome to the forum.
175s are the best, and it looks like you got a good one to start with.
It appears to have most of its pieces intact!
Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted
09 Apr 2020 14:04 #843

Replied by dwkdwk on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi, Dave here. USMC retired. Now work DC. Grew up riding mini-bikes to MX and DTs and RD 250, 350. Currently have 3x bikes. 1975 GT80, 1974 RD250, and a 2008 Harley Road King Classic. Current project is the little one. Had a fine fellow restoring the bike while I was stationed in Germany. He had it all taken apart and was making progress. Fellow stopped answering my emails. Had a friend swing by to check on the situation. Brought me back a crate of engine parts and the bike. Sadly, the poor fellow had a diabetic attack and passed away with a dozen torn down bikes in his shop. Felt kind of bad for having held a big WTF! feeling towards the guy, but thats well behind me now and I’m back to figuring out a two stroke like the good old days 40+ years ago. Now I’m trying to figure out where to get Chrystal Silver paint for the fenders, etc...
11 Apr 2020 17:29 #844

Replied by dwkdwk on topic And just who do you think you are?

Sorry, had a double post due to my newbie ness
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 17:38 by dwkdwk. Reason: Duplicate posted by error
11 Apr 2020 17:31 #845

Replied by Grussell on topic And just who do you think you are?

There is clean 78 for sale in Denver on craigslist.
1978 DT400
1975 DT250
1976 YZ125X - my post vintage race bike
2022 KTM 300XCW - my race bike

Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 18:18 by Grussell.
11 Apr 2020 18:17 #846

Replied by Frankster on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi All, Just joined to get access to your knowledge base and documentation. I have recently acquired a nostalgia drag bike which uses a 1976 DT250 (I think, the PO wasn't 100% sure) as the basis for its power. It runs a 1974 YZ250 barrel, head & piston. The bike has many issues that I am working through and I'd eventually like to convert it to CDI. I'm new to 2-strokes and I am learning as I go. Currently, the bike has a FOTO1971 flywheel, but I found a FOTO2172 flywheel in the box of bits that came with the bike. I believe this spare flywheel is actually for a DT360 or a DT400. I am investigating how to replace the points system with CDI as this should make it easier to tune and diagnose issues. The bike hasn't been run for over 10 years, so my first test runs were problematic to say the least. I'm on a tight budget, but I hope to get her running right as soon as possible. And, I am from Australia. Cheers
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 18:23 by Frankster.
11 Apr 2020 18:22 #847

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! from the UK Frankster.

Interesting project that you have there.

Regarding converting to CDI, you might want to think twice about that if you are going to use Yamaha items!

CDI was fitted to the DT360A in 1974, then the DT400B and C in 1975 and 1976 respectively. This weren't the most reliable of items (mostly due to the pulser, I believe) and many owners actually retro fitted the points system off the same years DT250s. However, if you're going aftermarket, then you'll probably be ok.

Good luck!
12 Apr 2020 01:03 #848

Replied by mdscott on topic And just who do you think you are?

I know what you mean having a favorite, I rode my DT350 the other day, a few days later my Norton ignition quit and CB500 slow jets were plugged. I gave them both a bowl of Mobil-1 and they both felt better. :ROFLOL
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
12 Apr 2020 07:53 #849

Replied by Frankster on topic And just who do you think you are?

@Gr8uncleal

Hi and thanks for the information. That actually makes sense as I didn't understand why the PO had a spare flywheel from another bike. Someone is this bike's past must have thought about converting it to CDI and purchased the DT360 Rotor for the exercise.

There's a crowd over your way (Rex's Speed Shop) that do aftermarket CDI systems for the DT250. They seem like excellent units, but expensive given the Australia dollar's poor exchange rate currently. So, I'll have to save up for their Full Race kit. The kit I'll need is actually designed around the Flywheel/Rotor that's in the engine (FOTO1971), so should work really well. I found a little oil aat the bottom of the rotor cover, so I guess a crankcase bearing change might be on the list of things to do.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 15:49 by Frankster. Reason: Additional information
12 Apr 2020 15:46 #850

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart