facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome. We need more young people in this arena to carry on for us when we pass.

The 125 looks later than '73.

You will enjoy the 250. Lots of help here for you.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
27 May 2017 04:38 #511

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic And just who do you think you are?

Yes, the 125 appears that it might be a 1975, by the fuel tank's design and color of red. The pipe, turn signals, headlight ears, and raised front fender all appear to be 1975 as well. The 250 looks to be a 1972 DT-2. Both of the bikes look complete, or nearly complete, and they look to be a great pair for restoration and/or riding. Start a thread on each bike, and ask all the questions you want. Lots of help here. Welcome.
27 May 2017 06:33 #512

Replied by Rawland on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey all, you are right, it is a '75. I cleaned off some of the oil-desert dust and found the VIN making it a 1975 DT125B 444 - 105xxxx

The 250 has a VIN of DT1F116xxx so '72 DT2 sounds about right, I wouldn't have guess that color to be 'pearl yellow' I thought it had faded from the orange!

Working on the 125 right now. All the parts are there, well except the batter I just took out. It was a total rush taking that 250 out yesterday and having it shift so well.

Hope you are all enjoying your long weekends, you know where I will be.
-Rax
27 May 2017 12:48 #513

Replied by ConcreteJungle on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey All,
My name is Ray and i'm new to the site.
A little background on me...grew up in Southern California but about 5 years ago i moved to Oregon for work and now I'm in North Carolina.
Grew up riding bikes...i love just about every kind. I've had my share of bikes, from my first motorcycle I purchased at 18 being a 1995 Yamaha FZR600 to my most current purchase a 1974 Yamaha DT250. I've owned sport bikes, cruisers, dirt bikes, etc. I've had a love affair with anything that goes, trucks, cars, bikes, scooters, etc.
I currently still ride/race a little motocross and play soccer (my 1st passion)
Here are some pics of old bikes, current bikes, cars, etc...

The following user(s) Liked this Post: X53flier
Last edit: 10 Jul 2017 05:14 by Makotosun.
09 Jul 2017 17:47 #514

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Makotosun on topic And just who do you think you are?

If you are anywhere near Raleigh, you are in DEET;s neighborhood! He is your go to guy for ignitions, oil pumps and wiring. Also rebuilds and such. Plus he likes to ride . . .
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: ConcreteJungle
10 Jul 2017 05:15 #515

I'm in Winston-Salem which is about 2 hours West of Raleigh. Thanks for letting me know about DEET, i may need to hit him up for some assistance in the future. I'm terrible with wiring.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
10 Jul 2017 08:48 #516

Replied by yamahahaha on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hey ConcreteJungle,
I used to live in the Winston area. I lived in a little town just north called Tobaccoville....ya that's right as in RJ Reynolds cigarette company... I also lived in China Grove ...no relation to Doobie Brothers...It's southwest of Winston...Now in Tampa ..home sweet home

John
10 Jul 2017 13:32 #517

Nice. I know exactly where those cities are. I pass through them all the time. I travel a lot for work so i'm constantly on the road.
10 Jul 2017 13:48 #518

Replied by yamahahaha on topic And just who do you think you are?

I also lived in Statesville for a short time
10 Jul 2017 14:23 #519

Replied by Zeohsix on topic And just who do you think you are?

New member here....great site....I was a "war baby" as an old codger construction foreman once described people of my age when I worked in building hi-rise buildings in SF, CA. Growing up in the late 60's early 70's we had Briggs&Straton powered mini bikes.....then graduated to dirt bikes. My buddy had a AT-2 125MX and I used some of the inheritance from my deceased father to one up him with a $895 Penton 6 Days 125.....quite a bit faster than his AT-2.....but had big time maintenance requirements compared to the Yamaha......I still have a 125 Sachs shift key in my tool box to remind me of my youth. Now that I'm retired.....I've been working on a project for travels....a 1989 VW "hippie van" or better known as a Westy.....camper van.....it's a giant hole to throw $$$ down but the end is near....Being that these vans don't have the best reputation for reliability.....I've done my best to refurbish it to ahigh standard but, in anticipation of possible roadside breakdowns I planned on carrying along a Dual Sport motorcycle which up to a few weeks ago was going to be a Suzuki DRZ400S. My DRZ had languished in my garage for a few years as work and family took up most of my time....in getting it out of retirement....I 1st observed the water pump was leaking.....ordered kit and did complete cooling system service/rebuild....on to other things....brake system needed rebuild.....put a FCR 39mm carb off a dirt only DRZ on.....new DOT knobbies.....but all the while I kept thinking....Dirt biking was never this hard of a job.....what I want is a nice air cooled two stroke Enduro with drum brakes.....hence the DRZ was sold and the quest began.....I found a decent DT 3 Enduro.....1980 Mono Shock....started thinking about little things I would like to do to it to improve performance.....then made a Craigslist score.....78 IT175 basket cast for $140...... guy says it ran when put away many years ago but wouldn't start....motor locked up.....left plug out of head while it sat. Now my dilemma I'm thinking I might want to rehab the IT175 but, getting street registration in Kommunist Kalifornia where I live might be pretty difficult for the IT......but, looking many parts should swap over to the DT 175.....so my project is going to be dubbed.....Building the Liteweight for the Heavyweight (I'm 6' 230lbs.) My plans.....swap the trick IT parts onto the DT.....I'm thinking.....and swap the IT motor into the DT frame. We will see how thing go....anyone with any constructive input....it will be much appreciated.
18 Aug 2017 19:55 #520

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart