facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

And just who do you think you are?

Replied by TerryM on topic And just who do you think you are?

City STREETS or City FREEWAYS?

If you're bumming around on the streets and rarely need to get over 45 MPH, a 175 should do just fine. If you sometimes need to go a little faster, move up to the 250. If you're on the highways quite a bit, the bigger bore of a 360 or 400 will give you a little more confidence, but a 250 should take you around shorter spurts of interstate with no problems.

I have a preference for the 74-76 era bikes, but I think that's because I had a 74 DT250A when I started doing any significant street riding. I also had a green CT 175 which was better back in the woods.
06 Mar 2017 19:16 #501

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by SlowPoke on topic And just who do you think you are?

The monoshocks do have a plusher ride......... I would say a monoshock 250.
2018 Suzuki Vstrom 1000XT
2014 Yamaha Bolt
2009 Yamaha XT250
1977 Yamaha DT250
Hammond Organ
Fender Bass
06 Mar 2017 20:27 #502

Replied by skasa on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi All,

I am based in South Africa and have a range of bikes. Only a few that fall into the enduro segment.

Below are my current bikes:

1975 DT 250 - needs alot of love
1969 AT1 - original but needs some love
1981 XT500
1979 SR500
1976 RD400
1968 Italjet Mustang 50
1971 FS1

May be looking for some assistance in the future. Have found the site to be super helpful.

Kind regards
Kyle
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, MarkT
10 Mar 2017 06:06 #503

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Cmos on topic And just who do you think you are?

I hail from Tucson, am almost 30, and am a newbie to Yamaha enduros (and two-strokes generally, though I rode my dad's MR175 Honda as a kid.)

I've got 3 bikes with 8 valves, 5 cylinders and 1,075 CCs netween them:

-78 XS750
-71 AT1
-99 XR200

Also if you're bored, the AT1 has an electrical problem that I'd love to get some advice on:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums-2/19...78-at1-battery-drain

Last edit: 15 Mar 2017 21:43 by Makotosun.
15 Mar 2017 20:33 #504

Replied by Makotosun on topic And just who do you think you are?

Welcome! To the site! The AT1 electrics are part science, part voodoo. We have several experienced folks with them on the board, so I am sure someone will be weighing in!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Cmos
15 Mar 2017 21:44 #505

Replied by fallguy on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi all,
My name is Andy and I have been a motorcycle fanatic since about 1968 when I got my first minibike. It was a Mickey Thompson mini bike with a Briggs & Straton 5hp motor and scrub brake. Bright Orange! Rode the wheels off of that one and then became the proud owner of a brand new 1971 JT1 Yamaha Mini Enduro, thanks to mom & dad & Santa! Cut to 50 some odd years later and I now have a plethora of bikes in my garage to pick from because I can't seem to get myself to sell any of them. One of my latest arrivals is a JT1 Mini Enduro! I am just getting started on a restoration to ride, not to show. I don't like closet queens. I ride each and every one of my bikes. She is in pretty good shape as she is but I want to clean her up a good bit.

Last edit: 03 May 2017 07:23 by Devin.
01 May 2017 21:31 #506

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by asco on topic And just who do you think you are?

Thought I'd stop on by, hang up my helmet after a day of being out in the wind of the Yamaha Community.. Here's to you guy's who make the spark..

Purchased the last Sunday of February 2017. I called her Elsa. Because she was born free and she lives free. It is a work in progress.

asco
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
Last edit: 09 May 2017 10:57 by asco. Reason: Pictures. Or it did not happen.
08 May 2017 18:57 #507

Replied by Zeek971 on topic And just who do you think you are?

I'm Eric from NW Missouri. Our family has an eclectic group of Yamaha's, and I found this group while searching for info about our newest acquisition, a 1971 AT1 MX 125. Found the bike sitting OUTSIDE a garage in Kansas, and after replacing the gas and cleaning the carb, the bike started in 3 kicks! It is a matching numbers MX with the GYT exhaust, etc, and it appears that it will be headed for a moderate restoration in the very near future.

My first bike was a 1971 Honda CT 70. Also had a Hodaka Super Combat 125, a Kawasaki F7 175, and my first Yamaha was a 1977 YZ 250. After a long break from riding, I got back into dirt bikes about 5 years ago. My everyday rider it a 1978 IT 400, my daughter has an RT 100, and my granddaughter has a PW 50. We also have a 1981 MX 175 (basically a stripped DT) which is next in line to get running. I also have a 1978 YZ 250 rolling chassis, and I plan to put the front forks, rear shock and swing arm on my IT.
Last edit: 23 May 2017 05:24 by Zeek971.
23 May 2017 05:23 #508

Replied by Cobra on topic And just who do you think you are?

New Member from Washington State, I have just graduated from little QT50s and other 50cc mopeds to Yamaha Enduros. I have a problem of buying every fixer bike I see but I always get them running :) Now I have 2 project bikes 1973 CT3 and a 1973 DT3. Its nice finally in WA so I want to get riding, I have just got the DT3 running but almost all its electrical components are out of spec. So I have started to look for replacements. Through my searches this forum kept coming up and I see its full of people just like me! So I had to join. I love wrenching on my bikes, I hope I can contribute some here but I love to learn as well.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
24 May 2017 21:41 #509

Replied by Rawland on topic And just who do you think you are?

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time posting. My name is Bradan, but people call me Rax. There is a story, but I will save it.

I started lurking about a month ago, my Great-Aunt asked me if I would like to fix-up and sell my Great-Grandfather's (her father) and her motorcycles in her garage. I said "yeah sure" having only worked at my dad's auto-body shop as an office assistant and I did some grunt work with a sawz-all and such.

So a month ago I took a look at them and thought... these will never drive again, I should sell them piece-by-piece and just scout for wanted ads. But I had a friend who was an auto mechanic (and had taken apart and put a motorcycle together with a departed friend of ours) with me. He played with the kick starter and boom, compression! So we set about lurking this forum, and you all saved us a boat-load of headaches.

So more about me: I have a BA in political science, and MA in international relations and diplomacy, I have international press credentials, a bartenders certificate, and lived in Paris, France (and bartended) 2012-2015. I tend to rant, and give unnecessary details-- making my stories long, and if they could have been humorous, no longer funny by the time I finish. I also have a very rare genetic disorder (myotonia congenita aka thomson's hypertrophy or I grow muscles for free but can't let go of that piece of paper I crumpled in my hand disorder).

My bikes:
Yamaha Enduro (obviously) DT2 (DT1F11...)

and

Yamaha Enduro 125 (not 100% on the year) but '70-'73 for sure. (will update this later after I get to work on it)

the 250: original paint is faded but in the pictures you can see it isn't too bad for having 8,100 miles! We got it started last week with a jerry-rigged 9V battery. Bought a propery battery, new tires, and I gave it a much needed bath. Then started it in 1st gear (I am not super familiar with motorcycles) and snapped the original chain. Got a new one, cleaned out the chain and clutch box (tons of burnt sage mixed with motor oil). And now it starts, shifts, and we even have done a couple laps up and down the block. Beautiful piece. I am proud of our work.

the 125: haven't began to work on this one, the gas tank is full of varnish (that is the term for brown liquid that smells like a mix between gas / fruit brandy / and tar?) So figured we would start with the easy one first. This one looks perfect otherwise, like the red is still cherry, incredible how it hasn't been cared for since 1987 or so but still looks like it is out of the box. Only 996 miles! Today while cleaning up some of the chrome on the 250 I took a break to look at the 125 more closely. Took off the gas tank and seat to take out the original battery... only to find a crack about 1-2 inches on the inside, leaking that horrible junk. So need to get that cleaned out and sealed [guy near me says about $100]. But I am fairly confident it should start, after we flush it out and get a new battery and tires.

But thanks for all of your conversations, and advice to one another, they have been a major help.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250
Last edit: 27 May 2017 06:40 by Makotosun.
27 May 2017 01:05 #510

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart