facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Tidy up a build - minor questions

• Eazy-X
  • Eazy-X's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Tidy up a build - minor questions was created by Eazy-X

First up, a common one, oil pump delete: pump and crank case gears are out, blanking plate in. I made up a brand new throttle cable and now I'm eyeballing the square hole in the top of the crank case where the oil pipes used to be. Any neat suggestions?

With no oil pump I'm going with a cheap generic, plastic seat. Fit is perfect and really suits the bike. However, the rear brackets on the seat would probably mean drilling something on the bike; probably the mudguard. How to people feel about non-reversible modifications? Everything else I've done so far is either swap, repair or delete. For some reason drilling a couple of 6mm holes in a mint condition mudguard makes me shudder!
04 Feb 2020 04:12 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

It doesn't matter how "people" feel... only matters how YOU feel.

For example, oil pump delete is considered a mistake by many, probably most, here... not all that "common" these days.

My experience is that no matter how "reversible" your creation is, make it something YOU want and like.

If you ever decide to sell it, the value of your "brat" or whatever they are called these days is going to be a fraction of what an original or nearly original bike would bring... if you can sell it at all. A couple holes drilled in a fender won't change that.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
Last edit: 04 Feb 2020 06:07 by MarkT.
04 Feb 2020 05:44 #2

Replied by Super90 on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

Regarding the oil pump delete. I had a 66 X6 Suzuki Hustler motor rebuilt and my mechanic suggested removing the oil injection system and running pre-mix. He was (still is) an old time guy that raced 2 strokes in the 60's and 70's. You had to watch it with him because he was always porting and tweaking stuff to make it faster! I foolishly let him delete the oil injection. i had a 5 gal. can at the house that I would mix up with non ethanol fuel. First thing is that we had to rejet the carbs because now the oil was added to the fuel. Next, it was just a pain in the butt to have a premix bike and when I went to sell it, well, people wanted an original bike and didn't want premix. I finally sold it to a guy who reinstalled the oil pump and was happy, but I took a significant loss on the sale price at the time. If you have a pump issue have DEET rebuild it. They are reliable and convenient and your engine will live longer with oil injection. Rant over.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, nhsteve
04 Feb 2020 05:56 #3

Replied by KennyV on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

This is what I made for my 250A. There's a small piece of threaded flat bar underneath for the screw to securely clamps it in place.

A metric straight thread pipe plug (DIN 9029, M8 x 1.0) to plug where the cable went.

And a button head screw to plug the oil line hole.

71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
Last edit: 04 Feb 2020 08:02 by KennyV.
04 Feb 2020 06:14 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hopefully beter picture of the pipe plug. I've been running my 250A on 32:1 premix for 15 years. Bone stock by the book carb jetting and timing, and it runs pretty darn good! I will admit the auto lube is more convenient if you are doing long rides where you'll need to refuel along the way. My 250A gets 60+ mpg which is good for 120+ miles which is good for my normal day rides.

71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
04 Feb 2020 06:25 #5

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

I'm assuming what you are referring to as the mud guard is the steel rear fender? If so, a couple 6mm holes in the steel fender is reversible, they can be welded closed and finished off to look back to original.
71 Z50 Minitrail
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin
21 CRF300l Rally
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
04 Feb 2020 07:36 #6

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

Love the little cover plate, I'll see what I can rustle up :)

Wow! Big heat on the premix/autolube discussion, what have I stepped into :D Guys, it's not that hard: fill bike, add oil, shake bike!

Point taken on the "fender" (BTW, WTF is it fending off at the top of the wheel?) I'll be careful to drill with a view to patching later if needed.
04 Feb 2020 09:18 #7

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

Oil pump - when set right, this feeds the correct amount at any given time and so general preference is to keep it. That's not to say, however, that the a bike won't run adequately on premix - just not as good as with a properly set up oil pump.

The fender is fending off dirt/mud from the underside of the seat, frame etc - just look at the arse (sorry, I'm from the UK, ass!) of any pedal cyclist not using a fender. We call them mudguards over here, and for a very good reason!
Last edit: 04 Feb 2020 09:58 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: text
04 Feb 2020 09:57 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers on removing the oil pump. :Ugh

I never said you "couldn't" remove the pump or criticized anyone who has... I've done it myself and will likely do it again. Depends on condition of Autolube system and the intended use of the bike.

My response was directed at the original post that said it was "common" to remove the pump... like it's the "thing to do" or a "must". I completely disagree with that sentiment. That's all.

P.S. Yup, it's not that hard to "add oil, shake bike". What's IMPOSSIBLE is to change how much premix oil the engine is getting depending on conditions. Premix is always a compromise. Pump changes mix ratio from 120:1 or leaner at idle to 16:1 or richer at full throttle high RPM... this is especially important on smaller engines that simply must be pushed harder to make it up a hill or whatever compared to a larger engined bike.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin
04 Feb 2020 11:34 #9

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

My apologies, I'm used to European forums and their humour :)

One of the reasons is the cheap seat that'll bolt down rather than hinge (to get to the oil tank.) The original I have is just a pile of rust which would at least need the entire edge rebuilding (plus foam and cover.) So far the only reproduction seats I've found are from Vietnam that cost twice as much as I paid for the bike :(

On the bright side the blanking plate only cost 5 eurodollarpounds and enables me to turn the bike over and ride it around a bit while at the same time allowing me to scrutinise the pump or consider refurbing it. The only "bad" part is dumping the gearbox oil out to refit it and, if you've seen my other thread, I'll be doing that anyway when the new tacho gear turns up so I really wouldn't be upset whether the pump's there or not - it's all good fun and experience :)

Interesting information on the oil pump ratios though: didn't realise there was quite such a dramatic shift between idle and full throttle! Live and learn :D I shall definitely consider putting it back... eventually!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, MarkT
04 Feb 2020 13:41 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart