facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Tidy up a build - minor questions

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

No apology necessary... I got the humour... :) just wanted to clarify pump is more than just convenient.

Yes and I wasn't criticizing your seat choice or anything else... It's just common here for someone to build some sort of modified creation with the expectation that it will be very valuable when completed... and then be disappointed when it's not.

Missing, damaged, and hard to find parts are all very good reasons to delete the pump, change the seat. etc. I would too.

So as long as whatever you build is something you like and enjoy that's all that matters. :Buds
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
04 Feb 2020 15:04 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eazy-X
  • Eazy-X's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Eazy-X on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

My intention is to hoard keep everything in case I sell it :) The main thing is to at least leave it as an option if someone wants to get all weird about original parts! As long as, at a glance, it looks all original that's good enough.

Actually I'm glad I was "politely informed" of the benefits of the oil pump as I have subsequently snapped up a spare one that looks to be in excellent condition for an absolutely knock down price - I probably wouldn't have looked if it wasn't for this thread :D

One amusing thing during the "tidy up" I couldn't get the rear flashers working. Took them apart to discover both bad corrosion on the contacts and... 12V bulbs?! Almost flattened the 6V battery testing the electrics and then discovered my charger doesn't have a 6/12V switch. It's like a series of little traps sometimes :)
04 Feb 2020 19:12 #12

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

Yes, more of the "curse of previous owner's mods"! Never assume anything!

Some chap on another forum is having trouble starting his air cooled RD350 and it transpires that his bike probably has 2 right hand carb float bowls fitted, therefore making the choke useless!

One more point on the oil pump and that is the internals are model specific, even if they look the same externally. Just double check that the one you bought is for your bike. I think that there are some guides in the Tech Library here.
05 Feb 2020 00:25 #13

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Wow! Colour me educated :) Just had a nice cup of tea and a read through the Autolube manual buried at the back of the document library. Sounds like 80% of the time premix is wasteful and 20% doesn't provide enough lubrication, eeek!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Super90
05 Feb 2020 03:34 #14

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

This ad shows the range in oil dispensing.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52
05 Feb 2020 05:48 #15

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

One of the best manuals in the Tech Library is the generic 1969 shop manual... goes over the theory of operation on most things

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...69-yamaha-shop-guide
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
05 Feb 2020 06:44 #16

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Another one I missed. Comprehensive but very oddly written!
06 Feb 2020 02:41 #17

• Eazy-X
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Had a go at riding around today :) Couple of things...

I have the clutch adjusters wound all the way out otherwise it stalls putting it into gear. Not sure that's quite right!

Also, I seemed to get it to start the first few times reasonably well - I'm not expecting much from a carb starting dry - but once it warmed up it seemed a bitch to start :( To be fair I have done absolutely zero to it with regards to tuning etc. In fact I don't think I've even stripped the carb for a clean, eeek! So all in all not the worst start seeing as the handling and brakes are excellent (and the electrics all work now.)

Here it is with a spare tank (haven't finished modifying the other one yet)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Could do with putting the heat shield on the exhaust :D
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV
Last edit: 08 Feb 2020 10:34 by Eazy-X.
08 Feb 2020 10:34 #18

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

Looking good!

Clutch could just be the plates sticking, particularly if the bike had been stood a while. One tip that I've seen on this forum is to pull the lever all the way back and use elastic bands or such like to keep it like that overnight, then see what it's like the next day.
08 Feb 2020 10:43 #19

Replied by 2fishkev on topic Tidy up a build - minor questions

Just my observation, but deleting the oil pump and gun grabbing are driven by the same problem and both are overcome with a little education. I cast my own bullets and reload and send my pumps to DEET before installing. Keeping things on target whenever possible.......
08 Feb 2020 17:33 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart