facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

Replied by MarkT on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

I would NOT continue trying to hold the inner basket by jamming something through the outer basket unless you want to buy a new basket.  Get a holding tool

Jamming the gears with your wedge to remove the crank nut is fine. I think some of the manuals say to use a copper penny as a wedge. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
26 Sep 2021 21:49 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hackman101
  • hackman101's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by hackman101 on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

I am just now seeing this, I thought I had notifications turned on for this thread.... Anyway, thanks for the response. The rag was not working. I t seems I could not bundle enough to jam in the gears. There is a casting in the way to make it easy for a wood wedge or even a rag to go in. What I was able to get in just passed on through.. about 4-5 layers of painters rag. The wood wedge just got mangled.
The engine was moving around too much in the box I made for it, so I set it back in the cradle with 2 bolts set in loose. That kept it steady. I was using a breaker bar over the 1/2" drive ratchet, while pressing in real hard with the tire iron to keep it from slipping out of the detents on the inner drum. I kept the tire iron close to the base of the drum to minimize the chance of breaking the fingers of the outer drum. So far so good, but the nut refuses to budge!!!

The alloy you are referring to, is it brass or what might you have in mind?

I loved the wood holding tool the guy made in the video. I am a carpenter by trade, I could make that too, but I thinks the bolt mountings would break off before the nut broke free. The force that I have applied to the nut has already quite substantial. It is like it is rusted in place. It shouldn't be, there are light rust spots on it, but nothing tremendous.
1973 MX250
Past rides 45 years ago (and longer)
1964 Honda 50cc C110
1960s Yamaha 65cc scooter
1960s Honda 65cc w/ 90cc engine mashup
1971 DT1-E modified to MX kinda...
28 Sep 2021 21:53 #12

• hackman101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Rt325 mentioned using alloy to hold the gears. A penny is a great option, affordable too!
1973 MX250
1964 Honda 50cc C110
28 Sep 2021 21:56 #13

Replied by RT325 on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

Blocking the crank gear to the clutch gear is only useful if ya undoing the crank nut. If you do that your clutch hub is still turning but clutch drum is held stationary. Try the trick i suggested somewhere of stacking some plates beginning & ending with steel & try to squeeze them so they grip & lock the basket to the hub, then the wedged crank gear holds it from turning. I'll go take a pic of what i use on my small honda to hold the clutch. Back soon.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
28 Sep 2021 22:43 #14

Ok, here's a pic of what i made to hold my honda--or was it my suzuki but same deal & does the job. Added a pic of what i suggested of clamping a few plates together if there's room between the fingers for vice drips. Also pic of my assorted yamaha holding tools but think one might be honda 0 for holding the back to front clutch outer basket but anyway, there ya go. PLus one of a piece of registration plate i jam in the crank-clutch gears.Ok, here's a pic of what i made to hold my honda--or was it my suzuki but same deal & does the job. Added a pic of what i suggested of clamping a few plates together if there's room between the fingers for vice drips. Also pic of my assorted yamaha holding tools but think one might be honda 0 for holding the back to front clutch outer basket but anyway, there ya go. PLus one of a piece of registration plate i jam in the crank-clutch gears.
28 Sep 2021 23:12 #15

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Clamping like i showed with vice grips is just so you can imaging free plates not screwed together & stacked then squeezed to grip. Maybe a desperate move--but!!. Another trick i'd not recommend but probably works is put it in gear then block the sprocket somehow. Pretty hard on gears & dogs & trying to think if 1st or top gear would be best. From the clutch side i think 1st would be best because if you used top gear & move the clutch say half a turn then the sprocket goes lots but if you use first the sprocket moves only a little so think 1st hear & put a tube socket or anything solid from a sprocket tooth to the crank shaft, or flywheel. Think it'd handle the pressure. I sure don't like seeing people putting it in gear & holding the brake on then rattle gun on the clutch nut. I recon that's bad news on dogs & teeth.
28 Sep 2021 23:24 #16

• hackman101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

If what you mean by a rattle gun is an impact driver, I really do not want to use that at all. I feel it would really do a number on something. I don't know how much backlash is acceptable between the crank and clutch gears, and i wish I checked it before I tried the rag trick but there a bit of backlash now.

Oh to have a clutch tool! I really need to find one I think. I will try the penny trick tonight, but still using the large tire iron, ratchet and socket with pipe extension to try to break it loose. If it does not work I will have to try something else.

The clamped clutch rings are an option, if I had spares to work with. Clamping them with vise grips sounds like it will deflect the metal, therefore making them unusable.
1973 MX250
1964 Honda 50cc C110
29 Sep 2021 06:23 #17

Replied by alnarv on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

Maybe a dumb question, but did you flatten the tab on the locking washer? The picture is not clear enough to see if was done.
alnarv
29 Sep 2021 06:33 #18

Replied by MarkT on topic 73 MX250 fixer upper- part 2

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=363089549103&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

I wasn't thinking right & Re-thinking i guess locking the crank with a penny etc works from the point of view to using the fingers to rest the tire iron on. But man i don't like that idea for the sake of the fingers. If ya 'must' do that the get as far back as you can so fingers--the one finger--will be less stressed. I don't think you'd need to clamp a stack of plates hard enough to damage them if you did it in two--or three places.
Also if i mentioned rattle gun i meant an air compressor type not a hammer driver thingy for screws. Can get super efficient battery powered ones too. My air operated one-- ' i have two'--a 3/8 drive & a half inch drive--would whip that nut off without a problem.
29 Sep 2021 15:11 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart