facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tom P on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

I powered up the headlight again and the bulb base doesn't get that hot, about 100 degrees, but I made a heat shield anyway using a piece of ABS drain pipe I had laying around. Split it so it would clamp around the raised rim, and secured it with aluminum duct tape.

Last edit: 21 Sep 2022 20:08 by Tom P.
21 Sep 2022 18:08 #21

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

All good info thanks. Yes i see the spread of the beam. Good for daytime running--let them cars see ya--coz they sure don't where i am. it's defensive driving on bikes & thinking about what the other person is going to do.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 00:58 by RT325.
21 Sep 2022 20:34 #22

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I hadn't ridden for years before I started working on this bike, but back when I was riding a lot I always thought of it as everyone driving around me was either drunk, or asleep, or both. Stay out of blind spots, and try to anticipate any dumb move that the drivers around you are going to make. When I come to intersections, I try to time it so I'm riding alongside other vehicles as I go through it.

In fact when I stopped riding, I continued to drive my vehicles the same way. Never assume anyone around you is paying attention to the road, or to anyone around them. This is one reason I love having two mirrors on a bike. You always want to keep an eye out for escape routes, if someone suddenly does a lane change on you.

I also never split lanes. In fact it pisses me off when I'm riding along the highway, and a motorcycle is splitting lanes right next to me, at about 20 mph faster. I remember years ago CHP officer I knew told me that the main cause of accidents are people going faster than the flow of traffic, or slower than the flow of traffic. It's a very true. If everyone is moving along at about the same rate, and not zigzagging between lanes, it's much safer.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Sneezles61
21 Sep 2022 20:53 #23

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The voltage regulator arrived much quicker than I expected. I mounted it hanging down by one bolt, because it was a little bit tight if I mounted it up high on the frame like Pete's. I sanded where it mounts, and ran a wire to the ground screw on the frame. Now I get about 7 volts when it's idling, and maximum 9 to 10 volts when I rev it. Went for a long ride, 55 to 60 mph for quite a few miles, and the headlight seems fine.

However I put it in the garage, turned out the lights, aimed at the door, and as in my first experiment it really is a horrible beam. Only good as a daytime running light, which is all I need. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 13:56 by Tom P.
22 Sep 2022 13:55 #24

Replied by RT325 on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

What wire is the Reg connected to, just curious as think it's been said to hook it into a blue in the headlamp. Cheers.
22 Sep 2022 15:37 #25

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

RT325, I posted this pic in an earlier post, but it was at the very bottom. I used an EZ splice on the dark blue wire, then there's a black wire coming off it that goes to the regulator.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 16:28 by Tom P.
22 Sep 2022 16:27 #26

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Thanks for reporting on the beam pattern. 

Every attempt I've seen (and tried) at fitting a new bulb into the original sealed beam has had a horrible pattern.  Someday I'm going to play around with "tuning" the filament position in the reflector to see if I can get a usable pattern.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
22 Sep 2022 17:28 #27

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Because the original unit was all designed as one piece, with a non-replaceable bulb, I think it's going to be hard to get it to work well with any aftermarket bulb.. The two filaments were horizontal, and only protruded about 3/4" into the reflector.

If I intended to ride at night I'd try to fit a modern 6v sealed beam in there.
22 Sep 2022 18:30 #28

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

It's super easy to do.  I've done it to almost all my older bikes.  You can even get a modern 5 3/4" H4 reflector assembly and use that so you have a proper replaceable bulb.  (Harley and Jeeps use them, easy to find aftermarket or OEM Harley)

Then all you need is 3 of the "w" spring clips from a later Yamaha or someplace like MikesXS. (MikesXS sells them in 5 packs so you have a couple spares.)

www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-headlamp-w-clips-pk-5.html

Then simply clip the new bulb into your existing headlight rim. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Tom P
22 Sep 2022 18:59 #29

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I appreciate the information Mark, I'll probably eventually do that.

I just opened the garage and started out with it on low beam, then turned it to high, then back to low beam. Low beam might be usable at night, but high beam just turns into a mess. In fact the front fender makes a big shadow. I think this long bulb is just way too far forward for this reflector bowl. In fact I think this kind of halogen bulb is usually mounted vertically for automotive use.

Video:

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 19:27 by Tom P.
22 Sep 2022 19:25 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart