facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tom P on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

The charging circuit is stock, so I'm assuming when the lights are turned on, it's on the nighttime charging circuit, and when the lights are off, it's the daytime circuit. Of course, I may be wrong :o)

The halogen bulb I put in the reflector is 25/25, like stock. All the other lights are stock spec.

In the past hour I ran a wire neatly from the low beam green wire in the bucket, back to the tail light, and it seems to work well. It pulses at idle, then gets brighter when revved, Just like the HL. Now the brake light (still on battery) stands out more, and is a steady light. I went for a ride at 60 MPH and nothing blew, so far...

When I check the battery voltage with it running, it does get a bit more voltage when revving when the lights are turned on. It's around 6.4 volts with lights off, and 6.6 with them on.

My understanding is that for USA bikes they put tail light on the battery, so if you stall at night it would stay on. I don't need that, because I won't be riding at night.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2022 15:56 by Tom P.
24 Sep 2022 15:45 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Here is a picture from my CT1C service manual  Great looking bike they are a lot fun
Last edit: 24 Sep 2022 16:09 by Ht1kid.
24 Sep 2022 16:07 #42

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

That's interesting, in my shop manual it doesn't mention anything about increasing the charging rate by using a red/white wire. I just checked and I don't think I have one there. It looks like just the green wire and the red green, which are the two charging circuits.

24 Sep 2022 17:06 #43

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Sorry i lost track of what post i was on, so yep you fitted the bulb in, but still same wattage as original. Maybe i'm thinking wrong but couldn't you run the tail to the blue in the headlight that runs the speedo & tacho illuminating bulbs off the mag then you'll have tail light on during high & low beam off the mag. Also--& maybe wrong again, but if ya running lights on & yellow being the highest output could you branch that off to the rectifier--except i guess the regulator won't be involved with lights off. Sure boost the battery that way--or boil it dry. But might get more charge with lights on than what comes off the other charge wires from further back in the lighting coil. Ignore me lol, i'm talking to myself. Back many years we used to fit some dodgy diode thingy on barely legal trail bikes that used 'one' single fillament bulb for two purposes for tail & brake light. Brake pedal switch used to route it past the diode to give full AC power to the bulb then with brake off the diode took over & reduced the voltage till next brake activation. Think i got the facts right, lifetime ago. Seems so primitive nowdays haha.
24 Sep 2022 17:09 #44

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

RT325, I ran a wire from the green low beam wire behind the H4 connector back to the tail light. I know there's other spots I could have tapped in, but I plan to run it on low beam anyway (just as daytime running lights). I'll ride it for a while and see how it goes. My instrument illumination bulbs are burned out, so now when I'm running the only things that will be on the battery will be the brake light and turn signals when I use them.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
24 Sep 2022 17:32 #45

Tom it’s weird my manual says first edition July 1970
24 Sep 2022 17:34 #46

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

My manual is the combined 100cc to 175cc, 1971 to 1973, first edition Sept 1972. Maybe they changed the wiring? My CT-1 is a 1971.

In any case, the white/red and green/red are probably the same nighttime charging circuit. I could probably plug the green/red into the green then have the increased nighttime rate with the lights off. 
Last edit: 24 Sep 2022 18:37 by Tom P.
24 Sep 2022 18:31 #47

Mine is a Yamaha service manual for a 71 Ct1c I do know they had different ignition switches in 1971 so they did have different wiring harness also I agree with the wire  color change I really like my 71 Ct1c 
24 Sep 2022 18:57 #48

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Yeah they are great bikes. Back when my dad was thinking about buying them, we were looking at the 125, and neither of us really liked the electric start. Fast forward 50 years, I'm glad we got the 175s. Easier to work on, and really decent power.
24 Sep 2022 19:06 #49

Replied by MarkT on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

There is a service bulletin on the additional charging wiring for 1971 being wrong...  only earlier models had extra wire. 

For 1971 the charging trick was use nighttime wire for both day and night.  But since you are on night already, won't help.

It is also recommended to check charging system.  You might have a bad rectifier or something.  Night charge rate is something like 3.5 amps which is more than enough to run a taillight all day.  You also started this thread with a battery problem so you could have fried your battery...  pretty sure you said it was really low on voltage and you "filled it back up" which sounds like it boiled out the water.  Not sure what battery you're running but most are very fragile and can fail in six months or less.  Especially if water got low. 

Manual has charging system test procedures. 

P.S.  Since one thing you brought up earlier was needing a headlight because of law...  it is technically against the law in the US to ride a 1971 with a taillight that doesn't stay lit day or night for at least 15 minutes without engine running.  Cops in California used to check for that.  Probably not likely to happen these days.  Yamaha started re-wiring the bikes in 1970 for this new law...  I think a few early 1970 CT's had a taillight that ran off engine.  Most I've seen had the battery taillight wiring with different ignition switch Ht1kid described. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid, Tom P
24 Sep 2022 19:44 #50

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart