facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=makotosu-08bc-47da-8e7d-68e3ee6e51ca&siteid=0&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=254959285296&version=889&trackingid=&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tom P on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Since I already have the 6 volt H4 coming, and just picked up some silicone O-rings to use to mount it into the reflector, I'm going to give that a shot. I also ordered a universal 6 volt regulator, rather than risk burning out the new bulb. I wasn't previously aware that Yamaha had a TSB recommending a regulator.

www.ebay.com/p/25041393458
19 Sep 2022 11:47 #12

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

The 6 volt H4 will be fine, the beam spread gets a bit crazy, but fine for daylight running, which is what you wanted.

Yes, regulator is a bulb saver.
On my CT1-C I fitted the smaller version under my tank (see thread #80 on the below link) and on my CT1-B I fitted the larger version under the seat near the battery.
I've seen guys here put them under the horn which keeps it cool and easy to connect to the instrument lights blue wire.
www.yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/...restoration?start=70
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
19 Sep 2022 11:56 #13

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Pete. I really like the clean way you mounted that under the tank. I'll do the same, assuming it fits (which I think it will). If not, there's room under the seat. In the eBay ad they said some folks put it inside the HL bucket, but I want some airflow on it. I'm also aware it needs a solid earth connection to the frame.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
19 Sep 2022 12:43 #14

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I received the 25 watt H4 bulb today, and just fitted it into the reflector. As expected, the flange was way too big, so I carefully trimmed it with tin snips. The bulb came with a foam protector that I kept around the glass that helped from hitting the bulb with the snips.

A problem I didn't anticipate was that there's also a shoulder that is 3 mm too big to go through the reflector opening. So rather than trying to enlarge that opening I put the two O-rings I purchased in, put the flange  on top of those, and that worked well. Put the wavy washer over the flange, then bent the tabs down with a small rubber mallet, with the assembly on a thick folded towel.

The prongs stick out further than the stock bulb, so with the plug on it almost hits the back of the bucket, but it does work.

I'm going to wait until I get the voltage regulator before I try it. Should be here Friday or Saturday. I've already spliced a wire to the dark blue wires and tested it, and it's the correct wire. Hopefully it's going to fit under the tank like Pete's.

I also discovered something. Since I've gotten this bike going I've always turned it to the headlight position before starting. It's always taken two kicks with the choke on, but now I've just been turning it to the on position, and it starts with one kick real quick! I guess it's getting more spark without having the head and tail lights on? 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 21 Sep 2022 11:44 by Tom P.
21 Sep 2022 11:33 #15

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic Headlight burned out, overcharging issue?

Very very interesting things going on & thanks for posting. I'm keen to know how the light pattern ends up as it relies on how far the bulb sits forward in the reflector. In replaceable bulb reflectors like we had in nz we got a pile of cheap bulbs that didn't sit right & had to go through them to get a good one to show a positive pattern for high & low beam otherwise the beam was just everywhere & nowhere--not focused. Very clever what you're doing though.
21 Sep 2022 14:29 #16

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Here's how the bulb looks inside the reflector. After I get the voltage regulator installed I'll take it for a ride at night and see how it works. I did hook it up directly to the battery on the workbench, just to test it, and the high and low both work. They also seem brighter than the original. According to the seller this 25 watt halogen should not cause any heat damage to the original H4 connector, or wiring.

21 Sep 2022 14:53 #17

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

If ya playing with battery powering it you could just pull the bulb back & then push it forward & if poss take out the extra washer & just see how it looks on the wall. Changes a lot if you can get it far enough forward.
That's real trick what you've done. Neat & tidy.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2022 16:20 by RT325.
21 Sep 2022 16:19 #18

Sorry forget that now the tabs are folded over. Might not be lucky bending them twice.
21 Sep 2022 16:22 #19

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The problem is I can't push it any further forward, because of the metal bulb shoulder won't go through the opening, and it can't go back either. I did a test with it on the floor in my dark garage, and it's not a great beam. Lot's of dark areas, but it should be fine for daytime running. The metal back of the bulb does get hot, so I'll have to make sure it's not in contact with other wires in the bucket. I can probably make a heat shield for it from aluminum duct tape.

youtube.com/shorts/5SFAjtL8P3M?feature=share
21 Sep 2022 16:46 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart