×
Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)
Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.
Makotosun
Machine shops / Hard Chrome
- Drac56
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Senior Member
-
- Posts: 47
- Likes received: 9
Machine shops / Hard Chrome was created by Drac56
Looking to rebuild inner tubes on these 2 RT1 builds, both using the 34mm/32 mm stock tubes.
Looking for some options the group has used to hard chrome, size these..
I heard Franks F.. was a good place but this fellow.. ugh.. is definitely too busy to respond.
Anybody dealt with the inner tube piston at the bottom of the tubes ? One set of tubes have a slight tweek in the triple tree area. Im noticing a inner sleeve looking down from the top.. Im assuming this is removable, allowing piston and this pinned sleeve to slide out the bottom.. however.. i think this tweak in the tube is binding this from happening but must be removed to allow a tube to be serviced / hard Chrome and sized.
Perhaps my answer would reveal itself once set 2 hasn't been taken apart.
****
Also looking for machine shop, lower con rod bearing , balance,, while i have these apart.
On another note.. autolube pumps.. Id like to rebuild.. any kits out there that anyone knows of? Ive heard, the pumps are all the same with the exception of inlet/ outlet nozzles and they use the same kit which… I've yet to find.
Again.. thanks to all who have offered their wisdom and shared that here.
Drac
Looking for some options the group has used to hard chrome, size these..
I heard Franks F.. was a good place but this fellow.. ugh.. is definitely too busy to respond.
Anybody dealt with the inner tube piston at the bottom of the tubes ? One set of tubes have a slight tweek in the triple tree area. Im noticing a inner sleeve looking down from the top.. Im assuming this is removable, allowing piston and this pinned sleeve to slide out the bottom.. however.. i think this tweak in the tube is binding this from happening but must be removed to allow a tube to be serviced / hard Chrome and sized.
Perhaps my answer would reveal itself once set 2 hasn't been taken apart.
****
Also looking for machine shop, lower con rod bearing , balance,, while i have these apart.
On another note.. autolube pumps.. Id like to rebuild.. any kits out there that anyone knows of? Ive heard, the pumps are all the same with the exception of inlet/ outlet nozzles and they use the same kit which… I've yet to find.
Again.. thanks to all who have offered their wisdom and shared that here.
Drac
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Enduro nut
-
- Offline
- Elite Member
-
- Posts: 316
- Likes received: 126
Replied by Enduro nut on topic Machine shops / Hard Chrome
Als plating down in Fort Worth Texas can do hard chrome. Youll see the contact info with a quick google search. I cant remember where i bought mine new. Ebay, HV cycle or DC plastics? it was a good 5 years ago but im sure they are floating around out there somewhere. I also just dug out some used ones if you are interested? i think i have 1 or 2 more sets as well.
Dustin Gerlach can do pretty much anything you need him to do. Ill send you his number in a PM.
Dustin Gerlach can do pretty much anything you need him to do. Ill send you his number in a PM.
09 Aug 2026 19:22
#2
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- nhsteve
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 473
- Likes received: 262
Replied by nhsteve on topic Machine shops / Hard Chrome
I have not dealt with this outfit but at least it is in the US.
Motorcycle Fork Reapir - EC GRINDING
I contacted them a couple years ago when I was looking to repair a set of '68 DT1 legs. As I recall the estimate was around $400 for the set but don't hold me to that.
I've had Frank's forks build me 2 sets of fork legs for 2 AT1 projects (a '69 and a '70). Expensive at $400/set
This image is hidden for guests.
? Maybe, but I could not find anywhere else. Oh well. And yes, slow, but I believe they were having both equipment and replacement stock issues.
not sure if this answers your other questions
This image is hidden for guests.
Motorcycle Fork Reapir - EC GRINDING
I contacted them a couple years ago when I was looking to repair a set of '68 DT1 legs. As I recall the estimate was around $400 for the set but don't hold me to that.
I've had Frank's forks build me 2 sets of fork legs for 2 AT1 projects (a '69 and a '70). Expensive at $400/set
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
not sure if this answers your other questions
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
02 Oct 2026 11:31
#3
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Drac56
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Senior Member
-
- Posts: 47
- Likes received: 9
Replied by Drac56 on topic Machine shops / Hard Chrome
Steve.. thanks for that info. 400-500 is the range it appears for a set.
Franks forks was my first go to…. Gotta say I was a little disappointed in the “ No response” from 3 attempts to contact them, two.. on their online query form, phone / message.. referring also to the other two online attempts.
ALS in Ft worth, visited their operation.. was really impressed by their pricing yet im not convinced they actually strip, lay up the chrome and grind/ polish to size.. Im sorta thinking they are just a decorative operation at this point as just today.. i couldn’t get a response to their process. I have a tube with me i was going to drop off to them tomorrow… now im hesitant.. this tube 1/2 hard transition 34/32 tube with pitting.
I came across a outfit in Santa fe springs outside LA.. this fellow took me on a tour of their operation.. obviously they do a lot of hard chroming, sizing, polish.. actually watched the grinding system in action. This fellow, Eric.. also capable of straightening light tweaks in the tubes. He also volunteered to machine my ends back onto the tubes as they originals, gradually transitioning 34/32 tubes on the early RT1’s are very different than one would expect. He won my confidence do i left 4 with him, for Bike 1+2.
I didnt leave this hard transition tube with him as im still looking for the innards that tube 2 had when i bought it from a fellow in Florida ..
so.. im down the rabbit hole. I will definitely look into your source.
Thanks again for your time.. this old boy appreciates it
Drac
Franks forks was my first go to…. Gotta say I was a little disappointed in the “ No response” from 3 attempts to contact them, two.. on their online query form, phone / message.. referring also to the other two online attempts.
ALS in Ft worth, visited their operation.. was really impressed by their pricing yet im not convinced they actually strip, lay up the chrome and grind/ polish to size.. Im sorta thinking they are just a decorative operation at this point as just today.. i couldn’t get a response to their process. I have a tube with me i was going to drop off to them tomorrow… now im hesitant.. this tube 1/2 hard transition 34/32 tube with pitting.
I came across a outfit in Santa fe springs outside LA.. this fellow took me on a tour of their operation.. obviously they do a lot of hard chroming, sizing, polish.. actually watched the grinding system in action. This fellow, Eric.. also capable of straightening light tweaks in the tubes. He also volunteered to machine my ends back onto the tubes as they originals, gradually transitioning 34/32 tubes on the early RT1’s are very different than one would expect. He won my confidence do i left 4 with him, for Bike 1+2.
I didnt leave this hard transition tube with him as im still looking for the innards that tube 2 had when i bought it from a fellow in Florida ..
so.. im down the rabbit hole. I will definitely look into your source.
Thanks again for your time.. this old boy appreciates it
Drac
02 Oct 2026 15:23
#4
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Drac56
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Senior Member
-
- Posts: 47
- Likes received: 9
Replied by Drac56 on topic Machine shops / Hard Chrome
Steve.. lol.. i should have looked at your link before i wrote that long winded response.
Your link… thats the outfit.. 4 of my tubes are at their shop.
3-4 week turn im told so mine should be finished soon. Ill post some photos and conclusions later this month.
Thanks Again
Drac
Your link… thats the outfit.. 4 of my tubes are at their shop.
3-4 week turn im told so mine should be finished soon. Ill post some photos and conclusions later this month.
Thanks Again
Drac
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
02 Oct 2026 15:28
#5
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- nhsteve
-
- Offline
- Site Supporter
-
- Posts: 473
- Likes received: 262
Replied by nhsteve on topic Machine shops / Hard Chrome
HVC sells a kit for the oil pumps, and DEET is the resident expert on those. You can send to him, and it will come back as good as new and looking sharp
This image is hidden for guests.
.
The HVC kit:
Vintage Parts Catalog - Oil Injection - Page 2 - HVCcycle
You mentioned conrod lower end, I would think you want to rebuild the bottom end of the crank assembly, yes? I think you are looking at a new rod assembly there. The rods may be the same for the DT series of that vintage but I do not know for sure. I have had Bill Bune do a few crank assemblies for me, and I had CrankWorks in Mesa AZ. repair the left half of the '68 DT1 crank that needed welding and re-sizing, before replacing the original rod assembly with a newer YZ250 rod assembly. They seemed very familiar with the need to resize things and knew where to find newer bits to use as replacements.
Premium Crankshaft Products & Services - Crank Works, Inc.
Bill Bune Enterprises | Engine Machine Shop | 2016 7th Avenue, Anoka, MN, USA
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
The HVC kit:
Vintage Parts Catalog - Oil Injection - Page 2 - HVCcycle
You mentioned conrod lower end, I would think you want to rebuild the bottom end of the crank assembly, yes? I think you are looking at a new rod assembly there. The rods may be the same for the DT series of that vintage but I do not know for sure. I have had Bill Bune do a few crank assemblies for me, and I had CrankWorks in Mesa AZ. repair the left half of the '68 DT1 crank that needed welding and re-sizing, before replacing the original rod assembly with a newer YZ250 rod assembly. They seemed very familiar with the need to resize things and knew where to find newer bits to use as replacements.
Premium Crankshaft Products & Services - Crank Works, Inc.
Bill Bune Enterprises | Engine Machine Shop | 2016 7th Avenue, Anoka, MN, USA
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Drac56
04 Oct 2026 07:40
#6
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Drac56
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Senior Member
-
- Posts: 47
- Likes received: 9
Replied by Drac56 on topic Machine shops / Hard Chrome
Steve..
Again, thanks for those contacts. Ive added them to my “go to” book when i cross the bridge.
Yes, id like to service the crank while they are apart.
KR
Drac
Again, thanks for those contacts. Ive added them to my “go to” book when i cross the bridge.
Yes, id like to service the crank while they are apart.
KR
Drac
04 Oct 2026 08:20
#7
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: yamadmin, Makotosun, DEET, Vinnie, James Hart
