facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Another Hodaka In the House

• Makotosun
  • Makotosun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Replied by Makotosun on topic Another Hodaka In the House

As Admin, I get to go 'Off Topic" whenever I want :Ugh so you are all stuck with the latest Hodaka update!

Hodaka Days in Athena is coming up real fast - June 22-25 - so if you are within a few hours, consider driving over. Several forum members will be there including myself and Dman.

My son's little bike developed a serious problem with the kickstarter. It is a know weakness in the early bikes, with the gear being made of stamped steel. Two problems - first, a tooth or two will break off making the kick starter fail to engage properly, and second that tooth gets to floating around in the transmission where it can do all kinds of carnage. I had never been inside a Hodaka case, and with the help of some friends in the club who live nearby got my chance.

First, we ordered up the "improved" gear remanufactured by Strictly Hodaka which is a beautiful machined unit that is a "forever" repair. Second, I ordered up a "rebuild kit" from Hodaka Parts Inc. All bearings (4) bushings (2) seals (4 or 5) springs and clips, and all new case assembly screws for $116! Amazing. We made the trip to our friends shop and in under 3 hours had the motor completely split apart, all parts replaced, and buttoned back up (it is yamaha related as you glue the case halves together with Yamabond! :ROFLOL ). Super simple inside and only a couple of tricks to know. I am looking forward to my next one soon.

We were lucky in that the top end was still in spec and in good shape. It is still on its standard bore with very little wear! Seriously. New gaskets, cleaning, and paint, and a light touch with the hone and it is back together.

I need to add in here that Alex will be 15 in October and this is the first bike he has really done most of the wrenching on.

Alex decided he wanted to do something kind of custom with the bike, so we decided to go with a late model "Super Combat" paint scheme. I had picked up a used Super Combat tank on my trip to Cali a few years back, so it needed a home. This is our inspiration:

Of course his is based on a 1968 Ace 100 instead of the race ready 74 125 Wombat motor, so everything will be a bit smaller scale. For this trip we will be recyling his chrome fenders, but will be in search of properly sized reddish orange fenders as well. I have a neat round air filter setup which will sport the custom moniker of "Super Squirt". You have to be a Hodaka nut to get the joke . . .

First the blue frame . . .

The used "Super Tank":

Freshly done motor installed in the frame:

The bike will be getting a Super Rat (100cc factory racer) chamber with a modified spark arrestor from a Yamaha DT125! We hope to have it all together and ready to ride this coming weekend along with a few repairs from last year to my little ACE 100B+. Will post more as we get done.

Thanks for following along!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
Last edit: 31 May 2017 05:27 by Makotosun.
31 May 2017 05:25 #31

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Very nice! :likey :likey :likey
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
31 May 2017 05:53 #32

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Yo, Seattle...looks like a Denver Broncos paint scheme to me, and I'm not really a football fan, either!

But I do admire your son's...ahem...inspiration, there.
31 May 2017 06:55 #33

Replied by MarkT on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Oh... wait a minute... there's a BIKE in that "inspiration" photo! :whistle:
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
31 May 2017 08:29 #34

Replied by mdscott on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
31 May 2017 13:19 #35

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Ah....mdscott...I see the Hodaka, but where's the babe?
31 May 2017 14:51 #36

Replied by mdscott on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Haha
:whistle:
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
31 May 2017 15:35 #37

Replied by Scootern29 on topic Another Hodaka In the House

I forgot about this thread. While I was in the wheel chair for quite a few weeks, I had my buddy pick up another treasure for me about 20 minutes away.

A 1968 Hodie.

This image is hidden for guests.

It has an aftermarket pipe, K&N air filter set up with the aluminum sauce pan cover, reed valve, and a Preston Petty front fender bracket. The motor is froze up but included is another motor. This will be in the que to redo soon. I talked with my buddy Lee Fabry (if you know Hodies, you know Lee) and he is going to help me out on stuff if I need it.
Question authority, think for yourself!
31 May 2017 21:06 #38

Replied by Hammer on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Mako,

My across-the-street neighbor kind-of adopted me after my father drowned (my older brother was 17 and I was 9 when we pulled him out of the pool).
He was a War II B-25 pilot who owned his own construction company and flew his own Cessna 210 to northern Idaho to hunt dear every year. He had
two motorcycles, a 1967 Triumph 650 Bonneville and a 1967 Hodaka 90. So, I blame HIM for my addiction to flying and my military aviation years AND dirt bikes--with street bikes coming after I got a driver's license. All told, I haven't been without a motorcycle for more than the 15 months I was in Vietnam from the time I was 15, until, well, it's still going, isn't it?

Oh, and I WILL be at Cal Dreamin 2018! BOTH sites--with both bikes!

Hammer

This was my first bike--for about three months--broke rear spokes like crazy--until I bought a brand-new AT-1E:

Who, More than Self, His Country Loved.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: X53flier
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 01:02 by Hammer.
01 Jun 2017 00:55 #39

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by RacerClam on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Gary , Nice to see your Hodaka project , looks good , Note! even thought the super combat tank mounts look identical to your pig tank early frame model the rear mounts are higher because of the frame back bone angle on the combat is different , I found that out when I built my niclel plated bike since I also used a super combat tank , but didnt find out until it was powder coated . I had to cut and re weld the rear mounts to make fit. Also the chrome fenders arnt chrome but polished stainless steel. Funny this is your first Hodaka trans to work with ( so simple) and Im doing my first Yamaha trans for my 175 so not as simple , Hodaka had thier stuff together back then. Their shifting method was actually adapted from thier own manufacturing lathes where the were able to shift speeds with out shutting of the machine .

Rich
racerclam
01 Jun 2017 21:17 #40

Moderators: Makotosun