facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Another Hodaka In the House

• Makotosun
  • Makotosun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Another Hodaka In the House was created by Makotosun

So I took a last minute trip to Corvallis, Oregon on Sunday to attend the Oregon Vintage Motorcycle Show which is an annual weekend event.

This year, Hodaka was the featured Marque which resulted in about 50 of the little bikes showing up.

As luck would have it, my son has been riding Yamahas at the Bad Rock Trail Ride at Hodaka Days, and has been insanely jealous of my little Ace 100B+. Last year he drug home a $20 roller which was the only way I could get him out of the swap meet!

Well, sitting amongst the swap bikes was a forelorn little 1968 Ace100 which the seller did not warrant to run, shift or anything else. The important stuff was there as far as my son was concerned, as he intends it to be a trail only bike.

Obviously needs some TLC, but after flushing out some gunk in the tank, and adding a bit of Blendzall Pre Mix, the damn thing started up on the second kick! Seriously. All the gears work, the likely original tires still hold air, the gears all work nicely, and it even idles! Yamaha could take a lesson.

Just what I needed in the garage. Somebody call a shrink. :Ugh :Ugh

Oh Yea. For that I had to pony up $171.
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
19 May 2015 01:07 #1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pntrbl on topic Another Hodaka In the House

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. In your case it could be a nut tree. :)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun
19 May 2015 05:20 #2

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Replied by Makotosun on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Very observant . . .
19 May 2015 07:58 #3

Replied by relic on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Awesome Makotosun! A great deal on a cool bike is one thing. When its your boy who found and wanted the bike, that is "over the top" cool! A kid with a passion for vintage is great. So many young-uns want the instant gratification of brand new. (come to think of it most adults these days as well I guess).

I'll be watching for the progress pic's.

Relic
I wonder where this goes...?
Daily riders-1976 DT400C, 1972 Suzuki T250 Hustler, 1971 Hodaka Ace 100B+, 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin
19 May 2015 17:34 #4

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

He was riding it all around the yard tonight - I am heading off to WallyMart to get a bunch of cider vinegar to clean a bunch of fuel tanks. That will help this one too. Gonna pop off the carb while I am at it.

Ordered a set of fresh knobbies and a chain last night - should be here in a few days and will place a strictly hodaka order tonight and when that gets here, the bike will really become useable. It really is running good, so most of what is needed is cosmetic. The only real challenge is it needs a front brake cable, and I am gonna see if my local shop has something close enough to work. He builds them so it is probably doable.

Too many projects around here, but this one is pretty easy as it is not a restore, just an off-road rider for him. I will post up pics as it comes together!
19 May 2015 19:06 #5

Replied by teamster6 on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Cool bike I remember them in the day. Used to be a lot of em around. My favorite at all the races was the super rat

t6
20 May 2015 13:15 #6

• Makotosun
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Been making a bit of progress on the Hodie this past weekend. In between working on my Suntank DT , I began work on the little Hodaka with my son.

The good news on the bike is the motor runs and shifts well, and the carb is probably the cleanest old carb I have ever opened up! Seriously amazing condition.

The bike is not going to be a restore, but rather, a budget ( :ROFLOL ) little home-built dirt bike for my son. He is learning as we go along. My patience is being put to the test . . .

We are trying a new rust product called Metal Rescue available at Home Depot. It is not cheap - $25 per gallon - but preliminary results say this stuff is AMAZING! I am testing it on the fuel tank, and assuming the results hold true, I will be doing a full video test for you all to see. What it appears is this is the ticket! More on that later.

We got several boxes in with new parts: The bike has narrow little 17" wheels front and rear, so tire selection is minimal. We got some Cheng Shen knobbies for cheap which will do. A new rear sprocket to get rid of the Witch Nose teeth and a new 420 Gold chain. A full set of proper Motion Pro cables, some Fly bars, fresh levers and grips, a gorgeous seat cover (Documentation on a seat rebuild coming) as well as a set of Hodaka 50 Year commemorative Badges.

These are special edition for last year and will suit the bike well. They were also a bit cheaper than the original ones . . .

Once we get some build pics going, I will supplement the thread for the Closet Hodaka Lovers on the board . . .
26 May 2015 23:26 #7

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RacerClam on topic Another Hodaka In the House

Cool Gary ! So your a closet Hodaka lover? Im out in the open 8o)

Rich
racerclam
27 May 2015 08:59 #8

Replied by Devin on topic Another Hodaka In the House

I agree mako. I use metal rescue in my tanks as well, it has been out for a couple years. You can see the before and after photos in my green machine thread. The problem with vinegar is it attacks bare metal and rust. Metal rescue attacks only the rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
27 May 2015 10:03 #9

Replied by Scootern29 on topic Another Hodaka In the House

You know I love my CZ's but back in the 90's I had two Ace 100's stripped down, an Ace 100 enduro complete, a Rickman Micro Metisse Hodie, and a Combat Super Rat. I should not have sold the last two, but I'm not real bright that way.
Question authority, think for yourself!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nivlagusa
27 May 2015 10:43 #10

Moderators: Makotosun