facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

might as well install my new cable now too that I've been putting off haha
27 Sep 2022 19:09 #51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If i'm still on the right problem--you said put it in gear & it doesn't drive. Is it defo clicking drum around into gear. Was going to say no key in the crank gear & its spinning, but no--it's splined, bugger. Spline center in the clutch not ripped out--did that on my 350 Matchy 30 miles from home up in the hills in 1962--yes there was a "62 lol.
Ok, as its layed out & has been assembled it should work providing you have rod clearance. If you removed the actuator cover it 'must' drive in gear. Only other thing i can come up with is if the plates stack up too narrow overall & the mushroom had thingy is sitting against the shaft--cant go in further--& the pressure plate is hard against it before compressing the plates. With the cover of the clutch just put it in first--any gear, third for for a bit more leverage, then push it or try to & see if the clutch pressure plate revolves.
If i'm on the wrong end of the story then back to the start. But thought she ain't driving--opposite to not freeing up when lever is pulled.
27 Sep 2022 19:19 #52

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

yes just as a refresher. It either doesnt engage all the way or it engages too much and the clutch never fully disengages. Any adjustment I do wont fix it right. Problem being it is dying on deceleration as clutch wont desengage all the way.
27 Sep 2022 19:26 #53

Umm, ok i'm reverting back to the actuator sticking then not sticking. I dunno, actuator split & spreading & not wanting to lift the clutch--then when lifted it's then sticking & not wanting to return back to giving rod clearance. I've Gotta go do some work. Gettin sore eyes from looking lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
27 Sep 2022 19:32 #54

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

The basket fingers look like they have grooves. This is referred to as "combed". If the the grooves are deep enough they will cause the friction plate tabs to get hung up and not move in and out smoothly. You can file the fingers with a flat file but this makes the basket a little more weak and the plate tabs will have some extra motion causing more combing but if you don't ride hard is will be ok.

The nylon spiral on the actuator is also a possible problem.

Before putting the right side crankcase cover check the alignment of the primary gears and the actuation of the clutch after you adjust the actuator and cable. The parts diagram is a little confusing as to the order of assembly.

And be careful not to pinch the thrust bearing with the spacer.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
28 Sep 2022 04:43 #55

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I did notice the combing and wasnt sure if it was a problem to be dealt with. I might have another basket to put in it.. or buy one. My plan is to take pictures along the way on assembly and post them for verification athough I beleive I've done it right before. Thanks 
28 Sep 2022 09:17 #56

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

In the middle of putting it back together l. Just tightened down the big nut holding it back together. The basket still has some play in it which I down understand it seems to slide in and out but the nut is torqued down where it needs to be. I’m hoping that when I pulled it out the thin bearing didn’t fall of the spacer but I’m assuming the nut in putting pressure there so that can’t happen? 
28 Sep 2022 13:30 #57

Is the basket gear moving in & out or is it just the basket play in how its held to the gear which won't matter within limits i guess. Gear movement yes would relate to spacing & washers. Nothing left on the bench!!. Sorry, had to ask.
28 Sep 2022 13:52 #58

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Haha I appreciate you asking as I had to reinstall once or twice forgetting a few things. Whole assembly moves in/out and no leftover parts. It went small bearing then a washer then the spacer goes in those. Then the gear. Then the basket. Then the inside part of basket. And then nut and washer and done. 
28 Sep 2022 14:34 #59

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Got back to it tonight as I gave up on my RD as I didn’t want to do the wiring. Uninstalled everything out everything back and actually the clutch seems to be operating correctly atleast the little bit I tested it out with the clutch cover still off. But the basket part 1 in the diagram still has some play if I try and wiggle it back and forth. I can’t seem to find out why. I have all the plates and friction plates the spring bolts are tightened down. I appear to have everything in the diagram. I don’t quite get it. It probably can move a millimeter maybe. 
01 Oct 2022 20:43 #60

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart