facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

• bhepp15
  • bhepp15's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by bhepp15 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

I dug into it and here’s what I found. It all looks good to me although this washer fell out with the cover but I believe it goes on the kickstart shaft? I’m going to stop here for the night and let you guys look at the pictures and see if you were anything obviously wrong before I take the clutch pack out. I know you can’t tell much now but I’ll pull the clutch pack Wednesday.
26 Sep 2022 20:12 #31

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Washer must be from there. Is it a good fit on the shaft as looks big ID but maybe an illusion. Looks like it needs to sit into the spring a little but OD looks 'big'. I don't know, guessing without being there. Just thought maybe someone has substituted a washer from something else but probably is correct. Can't be from anywhere else. Then again i just looked at the parts pic being a suspicious type & shows what i thought it should be. So now i'm wondering if that washer is from the clutch thrust flat bearing & been misplaced to there. They may have replaced the clutch flat bearing which comes with a flat thin washer & might've used the old bearing washer to do the job. We wait with baited breath untill clutch is apart. If clutch is slipping--as in reving up but not speeding up--it'll be just glazed up plates so replace them & leave out the rubber spreader rings if still there. Aftermarket plates may not leave room for them to be fitted anyway--& not needed.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2022 22:20 by RT325.
26 Sep 2022 22:11 #32

No10 
26 Sep 2022 22:14 #33

This message has an attachment image.

No17 bearing!!. Doesn't show the washer "but is part of it". No18 in the pic "isn't it" & doubt they could use it as it'd be way too thick & doubt case would go on. I see the pic doesn't show the kick gear on the back of the clutch but doesn't matter for this story.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2022 22:28 by RT325.
26 Sep 2022 22:27 #34

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

It looks like the basket/primary gear is too deep relative to the drive gear on the crankshaft. But it may be an optical illusion in the picture. Did you remove the basket/primary gear?
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
27 Sep 2022 04:52 #35

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thank you, that washer does fit on the kick shaft pretty well and if it isn’t supposed to go there I must have put it there as I was the last one in there. Will I need to replace the clutch plates even if I just changed them and probably haven’t ridden 10 miles with them since I haven’t got it to operate correctly? Yes I did take the clutch basket out when I did the new crank seals. 
27 Sep 2022 06:27 #36

Replied by Doctor K on topic Replaced crank seal now clutch won’t engage

I know this is simple, but did you include the ball bearing in the actuation mechanism?
27 Sep 2022 09:23 #37

• bhepp15
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I sure did… the second time.
27 Sep 2022 13:03 #38

Sorry, no you won't have to replace the plates if just been done. I'm half asleep & should have read back a few pages. So question still remains as to why its not working. Better pull the clutch hub off & lay everything out in order of disassembling so we can see what you have--& to see if that washer has come from the flat bearing & things like that.
27 Sep 2022 13:28 #39

What 1971DT250 says in post #35 could point to the washer i mentioned being missing from flat bearing so the basket could sit back a little. If that was the case though, the basket with gear should be able to move out & in a couple of mm or more than normal if has clearance.
27 Sep 2022 13:33 #40

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart