facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

ct3 carb

• jez
  • jez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ct3 carb was created by jez

Hi  Hi guys i am having trouble getting my restored ct3 to tick over. it revs really nice but wont idle it just dies i presume its something to do with the primary circuit being blocked or something. do the float valves wear out and need replacing this could be sticking shut i suppose, also what would be the consequences of this small hole in the picture being blocked, i dont know much about the black art of carburation . any ideas would be great. thanks. Jez..
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 11:28 by jez.
15 Apr 2022 10:35 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic ct3 carb

That is the cold start (choke) hole. If it is blocked, and the rest of the carb is set up correctly, then the bike might not start at all.

I test mine by spraying a little carb cleaner down the top hole. If it doesn't appear through the hole at the bottom, then I've managed to clear all blockages with a piece of 0.4mm copper wire.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
15 Apr 2022 11:46 #2

Replied by RT325 on topic ct3 carb

Sounds like you have a constipated pilot [i'll try not to think about that]. Have you had the pilot jet out as it's always a bugger to crack free & is a very small hole in the jet. I still use old acupuncture needles from 30 years ago but a small wire brush strand could do it. Have you had the needle jet out of the carb [emulsion tube up the middle the slide needle runs in]. & that little Oring the extension is super important to seal into the bowl base but for the opposite reason to what you're describing as would go rich.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 20:38 by RT325.
15 Apr 2022 20:37 #3

Yep everything GR8UNCLEAL said. & 'if' that choke jet is blocked then with the choke in action it'll only be adding air & making a bad situation worse. So when warmed up just be sure the choke is 'off' when trying to idle it.
15 Apr 2022 20:45 #4

• jez
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by jez on topic ct3 carb

The throttle slide has number 2.5  on it ? .where should the needle position be. I have replaced all jets ??
16 Apr 2022 04:35 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic ct3 carb

Have you downloaded a Service Manual from the Tech Library on the forum?

On page 82 of the combined AT and CT manual, carb details are as follows:-

Main Jet - #230.
Needle - 4J13, with clip on second setting down from the top.
Pilot jet - #25.
Starter jet - #40.
Throttle valve cutaway - 2.0 (sounds like yours has the 2.5 from the AT bikes).
Carb stamp - 314.

Did you replace the jets with original Mikuni (good) or from an aftermarket kit (not so good)?
16 Apr 2022 06:30 #6

Replied by MarkT on topic ct3 carb

Aftermarket jets are a common source of issues. 

Make sure pilot jet circuit is clean... 

Prudent to check which carb and jetting revisons you have...  several revisions on CT model...  at least 2 on CT3.  Latest revision would be 314E2 if I remember correctly.  Not uncommon to find a 316 or other model carb has been installed by someone.  Carb number should be stamped on upper edge of mounting flange or sometimes on choke boss...  flange is best bet.

You also said "restored"...  there are many levels of "restoration" and it could also be that you have an air leak or something else creating an issue with the idle.  Most likely pilot circuit though.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Bigdog302, Ht1kid
16 Apr 2022 08:14 #7

• jez
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

thanks for all that tech info guys.i used after market jets needle is on the right setting everything is spotless clean etc.i have done a complete nut and bolt restoration on the bike. managed to get it to tick over by adjusting the cable slack at the throttle twist grip and carb top now it is running fine .many thanks for all your help. i have downloaded the manual now and will use it !!
17 Apr 2022 00:34 #8

Is the idle speed screw mising as that lifts or drops the slide. Be careful relying on cable adjuster to set the idle as things 'can' change when you turn the bars lock to lock.
17 Apr 2022 01:13 #9

• jez
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Hi Guys, you were right the solution was tempary and the problem persists.i have replace all the jets and the o ring all looks clean . what about a sonic clean ??
21 May 2022 04:14 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart