facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Question 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

• lolipop50
  • lolipop50's Avatar Topic Author

1971 DT-1 MX autolube was created by lolipop50

I've been playing around with my '71 DT-1 MX which runs fine but it sure smokes a lot. a friend of mine says I should ditch the autolube system and use oil/fuel mix instead. Has anyone done this with success in  lowering the amount of smoke generated; and if so what ratio should the mix be? 40:1, 50:1??
Thanks in advance for any input 
30 Dec 2021 13:03 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by LETSJET on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Leave it stock smoke is normal, that’s part of the 2 stroke fun, annoying the tree huggers. Worry when it stops smoking. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu, Ht1kid
30 Dec 2021 13:22 #2

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Yamaha's Autolube is a proven design and reliable. It varies the oil to gas ratio depending on throttle position and engine RPM.

All of mine smoke especially when starting them up.

If yours is smoking excessively check the transmission oil level to see if it may be consuming it through the right side crankshaft seal.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu
Last edit: 30 Dec 2021 14:27 by 1971DT250.
30 Dec 2021 13:39 #3

Replied by Schu on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Everyone will have an opinion, and here is mine.

If the bikes that I have bought still had most or all of their original enduro hardware like lights and gauges, then I kept the autolube system functional.

If the bikes had been stripped of all or most of the enduro hardware, then I eliminated the oil pump and mix my fuel/oil at a 32:1 ratio.

My DT250B was purchased from the original owner and is completely stock with functional autolube and it smokes quite a bit. But it runs fine so I leave it as is.

I will be interested in what the experts say in regards to your excessive smoking condition so I can try and minimize the smoke on mine!

Not sure this response was of any help to you, but I feel better now....

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Sneezles61
Last edit: 30 Dec 2021 13:44 by Schu.
30 Dec 2021 13:42 #4

I currently use Yamalube 2S in all of mine. I used Yamalube in my '71 DT1-E back in the day. I remember that it smoked more and smelled stronger than the new oil does.

There was an unopened can of 50 year old Yamalube on eBay recently for $500. Too expensive to buy and relive the experience.
30 Dec 2021 14:16 #5

• Dirtboy
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Dirtboy on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

The way I see it, the autolube mixes 2 stroke oil into the gas perfectly and with minimal human input.  Or you can fuss about, measure and pre-mix yourself... either way the engine burns that same oil and spits it out the exhaust with the same amount of smoke.

I have found modern synthetic 2 stroke oils hardly smoke at all.  I'm using Motorex Cross power and have used Motul 800 with very low smoke out the exhaust.  

I do like the smell of Maxima Castor927, especially after riding down a gorge, turning around and riding the same path back out.  But there is also a hazy layer of smoke left behind to ride out through 

This image is hidden for guests.

30 Dec 2021 14:16 #6

And for your indoor experience and pleasure try this scented candle:

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Schu, Sneezles61, adguy2112
Last edit: 30 Dec 2021 14:26 by 1971DT250.
30 Dec 2021 14:25 #7

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by RT325 on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Be nice to see a pic of your bike, unless i've missed it in an earlier post. Is it a genuine DT1MX as oil pump is the first thing we ditched just to saving weight. 30-1 on a good oil should be safe. Often smoke is more related to what's soaked into the packing along the inside of the exhaust kin in the center chamber part. But being an MX if it has the MX pipe i doubt they have resonating noise deadening stuff. So maybe she just needs a "Damn good thrashing" somewhere away from the population. Or--if you can--give the pipe a burn out to get back to scratch. RH crank seal is a thought but unlikely as are a good seal well retained in those. Anyway, if it was 'tat' she'd be running hollow & lean plus smoke out the village--i mean real smoke!!. Pic please?. Boss had an RT1MX new & i borrowed the motor for my race GYT kited DT1 & man i enjoyed that, but had to give it back haha.
30 Dec 2021 15:17 #8

• msavitt
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

I swear by my little autolube pumps because they are most efficient for the reasons other mentioned and because I don't have to fart around mixing.  I use Lucas semi-synthetic and love this brand because when melted a hole in my DT360A piston a year ago for non-lube related reasons and spit broken rings and piston out the tail pipe I found the bearings in good shape and bore un-seized albeit gouged.  Also this stuff hardly smokes - worried me at first but I always verify pump output and adjust per manual - and unlike premix lubrication levels don't change when you mess with jetting. 

In the end personal preference - like olives or a twist!
30 Dec 2021 17:29 #9

Replied by MarkT on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

My experience is that "excessive smoke" is far more about jetting than the amount of oil.  I've raced with Castrol R40 in a 250 at 16:1 with virtually no smoke at all when jetting was "crisp"... and the bike was ridden hard. 

I don't necessarily recommend jetting that close to optimum unless you continually stay on top of it...  and while you can monkey around and get things set up differently for the putting around most of us do (which tends to "load up" a more race-oriented bike)...  the danger is if you ride hard then suddenly you don't have enough oil or possibly fuel depending on what you did and engine is damaged.

Biggest issue I've seen with the pump is the procedure wasn't followed for adjusting the cables and the pump pulley is rotating significantly past the idle marks before the slide starts to lift.  Shimming can be off too. 

Back in the day, we took the pumps off and threw them away.  I wouldn't (and don't) do that today. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Schu, Ht1kid
30 Dec 2021 19:21 #10

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart