facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Replied by Ht1kid on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Gotta love that castrol R smell nothing like it. We did the same as you. Keep the autolube my opinion 
30 Dec 2021 20:58 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by msavitt on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Great input mark!  I never raced anything, too late to start now!  so I wouldn’t know.  But I get a sense of well-being knowing that my pump is adjusted and operating properly!  I am so addicted to these bikes
30 Dec 2021 21:32 #12

• lolipop50
  • lolipop50's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by lolipop50 on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

First off, thanks for all the input on the autolube system. I think I will go with the majority of replies and keep the autolube as it is. I recently switched to a "low smoke" semi synthetic oil but have not had the chance to give it a try.
I'm the original owner of the bike and I have not done any serious riding in a long time but am itching to go. Lately I've been doing some maintenance on it in anticipation of a ride. I noticed a fair amount of oil laying in the low part of the expansion chamber and that is what got me thinking that the amount of oil being injected is too much? Anyways, I'm going to stick with the pump as long as it still functions. And in reply to RT325: yes it does need a "damn good trashing" It sure was fun riding that thing back in the 70's around the Phoenix area before this place got so huge.First off, thanks for all the input on the autolube system. I think I will go with the majority of replies and keep the autolube as it is. I recently switched to a "low smoke" semi synthetic oil but have not had the chance to give it a try.
I'm the original owner of the bike and I have not done any serious riding in a long time but am itching to go. Lately I've been doing some maintenance on it in anticipation of a ride. I noticed a fair amount of oil laying in the low part of the expansion chamber and that is what got me thinking that the amount of oil being injected is too much? Anyways, I'm going to stick with the pump as long as it still functions. And in reply to RT325: yes it does need a "damn good trashing" It sure was fun riding that thing back in the 70's around the Phoenix area before this place got so huge.   
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, asco
02 Jan 2022 15:13 #13

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

I would get a 10ml graduated cylinder from Amazon and check output against service manual.  Also make sure to first adjust the min stroke via shims and set cables properly. If you get correct pump output and get things adjusted (and obviously first bled) then go on a nice ride and burn all that oil out!
02 Jan 2022 18:48 #14

Replied by asco on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

My suggestion is a question? Has the oil pump been rebuilt professionally in the last 36 months? I don’t like semi synthetic oil. I don’t like full synthetic oil going through that injection system. When you use pre-mix you have “microscopic particles of oil instead of injecting solid oil into the combustion chamber. It’s a mainline.” I would stick with the Yamalube 2S and I would rebuild the oil pump regardless weather you feel it’s a healthy oil pump.

DEET SAVE YOU MONEY IN 2022.

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATION,
( 818 ) 521-2109
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1971 CT1-C (BRANDY)
1970 DT1-C (MONICA)
1972 AT2M (ZIFFLE)
1970 CT1-B (HULK)
1971 DT1E (GINA)
1970 CT1-B (CLIDE)
02 Jan 2022 19:02 #15

Replied by Tinkicker on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

Back in the day when I had no mortgage or kids, but a stable of two strokes, I ran Bel Ray Si7 through my autolube equipped road and trail bikes (RD200 / 250. DT 125 /175 ,TY175 and Suzuki GT380) with no problems in many 1000s of miles.  I did add a couple of bottle capfuls, maybe 10cc of oil in the fuel tank when I filled it up for the sake of the carb slides.

My premix bikes were lubed by Bel Ray MC1 at 40:1 (Bel Ray rated MC1 as safe up to 50:1 in all 2st engines) as the same fuel tended to be added and drained between the bikes as and when a particular bike was to be used.  So my sixteener legal FS1e DX moped would be running during the week on fuel drained out of a Bultaco Sherpa T 350 that was filled up and bounced over rocks at the weekend.

​​​​​​

This was done so the premix did not have time to lose its lubricity.   We all know that premix should not be stored for more than a couple of weeks when used in a high performance motor right?

Only problem I ever had was knocking the big end out  on a Sherpa T 325 when I could not get Bel Ray MC1 and bought PJ1 instead.  40:1 was a step too far for PJ1.

So yes, I'm a big fan of the autolube system and a big fan of Bel Ray Si7 going through it.  Only time I ever got a light smoke haze was when blipping the throttle at traffic lights.

Not hard to guess what oil I have in my oil tank right now.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2022 03:01 by Tinkicker.
03 Jan 2022 02:41 #16

Replied by Mkdxxx on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

i was perusing this post add i have more questions related to the autolube system on a 79 Mx100.
  • When autolube is working as it should what is the predifined mix?  32.1, 40,1 50.1 etc?
  • How is the flowrate verified as supplying enough oil for the mix.
  • Is there a way to test this pump functionality.
  • I haven't delved into this system but I looks like the cable from the autolube isn't hooked up.
  • If I wanted to not use the autolube system initially, just to error on the side of caution...  What mix should be used directly in the tank.
  • Please remind how 50:1 differs from 40:1 or 32:1.  Which provides move lube per gallon of gas.
  •  
14 Jan 2022 22:42 #17

• Schu
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Schu on topic 1971 DT-1 MX autolube

I mix at 32:1 and I used a Ratio Rite measuring cup. 
On the few bikes of mine that run premix, I have removed the pumps and use a block-off plate that you can find on eBay or even make our own. Not sure if it ruins a pump to run dry.

Schu

CT1B, CT1C, JT1, JT2, DT360A, GT80B, DT100B, DT125B,
DT175B, DT175C, DT250B, DT400B, Z50, SCR950

Someday, you'll own some Yamahas
15 Jan 2022 06:30 #18

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hi there - I have a dt1e and found a manual in Tech Library for it and it probably covers your MX too. Manual specifies output at full stroke at 200 rotations of the white wheel. I got a 10ml graduated cylinder from Amazon and used this to measure output.  Also there’s a gap of 0.008 to 0.012 I recall from memory that is set with shims and sets stroke at idle. 
15 Jan 2022 08:11 #19

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart