facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

74 DT250A pics of front engine /frame mounting

I’ll let RT325 tell you how to clean the exhaust he’s a pro
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jewelkutter
12 May 2023 18:36 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RT325
  • RT325's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My idea putting it in the bonfire for the night is probably a bit agressive but gets the job done that's for sure.
I've probably said it long ago but back in the early "60's where i worked we sold Jawa's & British stuff.
But Jawas's instructions stuck in my mind & showed how to burn the muffler & pipe out with possibly oxyaccetylene or think we had a burner with air injected somehow, maybe an LPG bottle but don't think that existed back then. But man did it get things burning. We had a chimney out the roof in the middle of town haha. Couldn't imagine it happening nowdays with all the rules.
Anyway, Jawa said--despite the blueing of the chrome your customer will 'Bless You' due to the increase in performance!!.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
12 May 2023 19:02 #22

Replied by Jewelkutter on topic 74 DT250A pics of front engine /frame mounting

Thanks for that RT325 , I can see how using a torch could work fairly quickly if one was carful to control it, How about some barbecue charcoal lighter fluid poured inside the pipe in light it on fire?

How many miles of riding does it take to clog a dt250 tailpipe?

The bike didnt come with instruments to know how many miles were on it. Whats a good guesstimate?

the cylinder is still at 70mm good condition, I hand scotchbrighted a new crosshatch, piston and rings look good too after cleaning. rod and bearings feel good, clutch plates measure good, clutch springs did not measure good, front wheel bearings were shot, still had original fish oil in forks. Trans oil was black , crankcase was full of 2stroke oil and smelled of gas a bit. Throttle cables werestill in tact but very poor condition
Is there a way to determining what the mileage on the bike is if it didn't come with an odometer?
Thanks for everyone's input
John
12 May 2023 20:17 #23

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 74 DT250A pics of front engine /frame mounting

"Thanks Schu, I did reference the service bulliten in the tech library, I like the idea of mounting it to the outside of the headlight shell , and I recall reading somewhere here on the forum that a person made a pigtail and attaches it to the blue wire from the tach and simply plugged into it instead of a splice , I was hoping someone could help me find that write up.
Thanks again.
John"

See post #52 on page 6 of this thread.

Headlight keeps blowing out. - Page 6 - Vintage Enduro Discussions (yamaha-enduros.com)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jewelkutter
Last edit: 12 May 2023 23:22 by Gr8uncleal.
12 May 2023 23:20 #24

Thank you GR8UNCLEAL,
After reading the regulator service bulletin and looking at the headlight as a place to mount it , it seems like it's not the ideal place to put it. For now I'm going back to read and re read the link you posted and gain some more knowledge
Gr8ful for your input .
Thanks again
13 May 2023 06:15 #25

• Gr8uncleal
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 74 DT250A pics of front engine /frame mounting

I have used the bottom yoke (triple tree) clamp bolt and others have used the horn mount - both of those are in the airflow. However, some (all?) models that had them fitted as standard used the battery or air filter boxes as their location, so maybe airflow for cooling isn't too important. Obviously the further away from the headlight you mount it, the longer the wire needed.
13 May 2023 06:58 #26

I'm hesitant to say anything mostly because I think you said you're using some unknown aftermarket switch and you think you have it hooked up right because the colors are close. Bad idea.

Your post from earlier is right where you put it. yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/forums/74-7...250a?start=10#162567

You can always find your posts in your profile or with the forum search.

Yes, there is an ignition test wire. I doubt I ever said it was by the coil? It certainly isn't a ring terminal.

If you want to know what the silver mark means, best to ask the man who made you the harness.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
14 May 2023 17:04 #27

You didn't offend me at all.  You did start your post by saying you had your posts and photos disappear.  "Hello Everyone,  this is my 2nd attempt at this ive had my message and photos disappear on me ,not sure what I did , anyways 3rd times a charm."  Just before you proceeded to repost the same text and photos you had posted elsewhere earlier.  I was just trying to help  From my perspective the post did not disappear on you, it was just someplace else.

And I really don't think I ever said the test wire was by the coil...  I could have?  It was just a statement.  And a clarification that the test wire does not have a ring terminal. 

On the red wires the other thread said at least once (paraphrased) "two red female harness connectors to fuse and red male harness connector to battery".  Impossible to know what confused you in that thread (you never specified) but that's the answer to the "3 red wires near the battery" for perhaps every Yamaha we discuss on this forum. 

Best way to contact DEET is by email...  and again, just a statement. 

When I try to be concise in my answers to avoid confusion it apparently comes across like I'm offended?  I did point out the rectifier logic to help...  some of this is like puzzle solving...  if you have right color wires in the right place for that component with the right connectors, that puzzle piece likely fits there.  Just trying to help. 

I'll stop responding to your questions now. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
14 May 2023 18:54 #28

Hello, I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to my post and to others who posted about wiring issues  . A special thank you to , MarkT ,Gr8uncleal , RT325 . after yesterday i had all but given up on hooking up the wires . I went out to the garage this morning, i changed the bulbs in the new aftermarket turn signals,  fixed the broken and dirty ground on the tailight and everything worked, except for the headlight and the high beam light.
The aftermarket left handlebar controls worked perfectly. On- off switch for tailight everything works . Thank you all so much 
john
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325, Gr8uncleal, Sneezles61
16 May 2023 08:17 #29

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic 74 DT250A pics of front engine /frame mounting

Learning what to look for, how to trouble shoot it is such valuable tool. Also the folks in here are the icing on the cake!
Sneezles61
16 May 2023 15:35 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart