facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Thank you Devin, I think you just saved me quite a lot of money and the hassle of having to return a part that needs modification and might not even be suitable to begin with. You guys are great!
26 Oct 2020 12:59 #91

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Polishing up the case covers gives me something to do in the evenings when my brain can't take anymore part searches. Not show quality but they look much better than they did a couple weeks ago and good enough for what I hope to be a daily rider some fine day.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: shyted, Pete-RT1
26 Oct 2020 20:09 #92

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Nice work! :likey :likey :likey
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
26 Oct 2020 20:23 #93

Yeah those gears look pretty good looking at your closeup pics but the female gears looked bad in earlier posts. For sure some pushing's been going on to do that to the selector. Hope ya get it sorted.
26 Oct 2020 21:14 #94

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Thanks Mark, I only went up to 1000 grit before polishing which left the scratches so I should have gone up another grade or two, may still do that since there's several months of cold weather coming and these old bones start complaining when it gets down around the freezing mark so won't be spending a whole lot of time in the shop this winter. My wife lets me get away with things like polishing the case covers and little things like that in the house but pretty sure she'd draw the line at stripping down my frame here in the living room. Too cold to paint anyway but I think I'll still be able to accomplish quite a bit on the bike this winter. I'll also be spending a lot of time just researching and learning all I can which will help quite a bit. This site is a life saver in that regard. I'm working my way through all the old posts, copying and pasting lots of stuff that I know will help me later on and which I'll forget if I don't take notes. Big thank you to all who share their knowledge on this site!
26 Oct 2020 21:36 #95

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

The ones I ordered look real good as near as I can tell so hopefully they'll be good to go. If not I'll send em back and try again. I appreciate you pointing out the wear which I completely missed. Probably saved me a lot of grief down the road so thank you!
26 Oct 2020 21:43 #96

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
My ebay gears came in today. Now that i have them in hand they show wear in the same places as my old one which I guess isn't surprising but the new ones aren't worn to the same extent as the old ones so I'm going to go with them. Chances of finding a perfect set are probably about = to my chances of winning the lottery.

Decided to get acquainted with my carb today. Took it apart and was happy to not find the corrosion and muck I was half expecting. Took out all adjustment screws and jets and was able to see daylight through them all. I think all every thing needs is a good nights soaking in soapy water and shoot some carb cleaner through all orifices, then a good blow down with the air compressor. I have some acetone so might give it a quick bath in that just to be certain everything is clean. I don't have the rebuild kit yet so plan to put all pieces into a plastic bag after drying them out for storage until time to put it back together.
29 Oct 2020 17:13 #97

This message has attachments images.

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
My ignition system was working great when I parked the bike but 30 years is a long time so I've been wondering how well everything held up sitting there so long. I brought the stator over to the house this evening so I could stay warm while checking things out. It was pretty nasty looking so I very gently cleaned the places that I wasn't afraid of damaging. That gave everything a chance to warm up a bit too, I'd read that the temperature of the unit makes a difference on the readings one gets. I couldn't say, don't know a lot about this kind of thing.

Anyways, after a bit of inspection and cleaning I hooked up my meter and took the only two tests I'd been able to find any information on. I first checked the pulsar since I'd read that if that part is under specs it's all over and time to look for one of the new aftermarket systems. Happily the pulsar checked out great, 99.8 ohms. The info I have is that 100 would be perfect but a tolerance range of 5% is acceptable so I think I'm good to go there.

i next checked the source coil ( I think that's what it's called) by connecting the brown to black wires and came up with a reading of 132.6 which is actually a couple ohms over the specs I'd found but still well within the tolerance range. So looks like that all is well with that too.

As far as I've been able to find out, the CDI box itself isn't testable. If that's wrong please let me know. Like I said all was working well on the last ride but who knows what mischief time, moisture, heat and cold have played. Be one less thing to worry about if I could test everything ahead of time.

All in all, a good day.
29 Oct 2020 21:23 #98

Hello Jack.
From experience, it's the dog's and the receptors where the biggest problems occur .
Even on modern bikes with quick shifters, mainly due to people using the quick shifter without running the bike in and at slower engine speeds, the dogs mince the gearbox up.
You have done the right thing by getting gears with as least wear as possible. Now you know for sure you're good .
I always use a magnifying glass to look but have found the mobile phone camera an invaluable tool these days as it even exposes the cracks in fly shit they're that good.
As for the weather , it put that much rain down yesterday that i developed webbed feet and it was blowing a Hooley as well.
Yesterday was carb and ignition for me too on my CT3.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
29 Oct 2020 23:44 #99

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
My air box was a rusty mess so I've been trying to clean it up. The outside is pretty easy to clean up but the inside with it's different chambers and cavities presents a few problems. Couldn't find any way to reach many areas with any thing resembling a power tool and even hand sanding left several areas untouched, so finally decided to give it a vinegar bath so off to town for a couple more gallons. I soaked it for about three hours and then rinsed it out and saw a big improvement but it's gonna need another dip or two to get it right but I think that should do it. Flash rust was almost instantaneous but I'll be ready for that next time. Next mystery will be how to get some kind of an even paint job on all those inside chambers that are hiding around corners and behind obstructions. Any suggestions on reaching those difficult areas will be appreciated.

The chrome parts are all in pretty rough shape. I can't afford to have my handlebars, headlight, wheels, tach body, etc. etc. all re-chromed, so will just do the best I can to clean them up and live with the results. I'm thinking fine steel wool but if anyone knows of better way to clean them up please let me know. Also considering sanding down and painting with some kind of chrome paint, although I've never found any that impressed me much in the past.

Bill Bunes has had my cylinder and crank since Wednesday but I guess they're pretty busy and haven't been able to measure my cylinder yet. Called them Friday and was told they'd get the measurements and let me know so I can let Enduronut know which piston I need but they never called me back and I haven't been able to reach anyone since. My calls go to voicemail and I left one.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Von
01 Nov 2020 19:32 #100

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart