facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

Replied by Pedalcrazy on topic Hoping to bring my old DT 360 back from the dead

When I remove the triple tree I've discovered that putting a white towel (old bath towel) on the floor underneath the steering head works to keep falling BBs from bouncing away plus a white towel makes them easy to see. This idea came to me after losing one on my first build. Glad you found yours!
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jack
05 Nov 2020 16:29 #111

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack
  • Jack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Finished cleaning the frame this morning and got two coats of primer on it, then wire brushed old paint and rust from the swing arm and skid plate. Swing arm cleaned up good but skid plate was pretty rough, no will ever see it but me anyway so guess it doesn't matter too much. Will rough them up a bit in the morning and get them primed.

Whatever time I have left tomorrow will go to cleaning up more of the small parts, chain guard, tach and spdo base, steering stem, kick stand and what ever else I can't think of at the moment.

Don't know what I'll do with the fuel and oil tanks yet, both in pretty rough shape & still working out the best way to straighten them out. Probably end up drilling a couple holes in the fuel tank and use a slide hammer to pull the dents out as best as I can and settle for however it ends up. Or might try one of the glue and pull things that I've seen advertised. Even considered filling with water and freezing but afraid I might end up splitting s seam or something so doubt I'll actually try that. Obviously not much on body work but hopefully I can make it look a little better than it is right now.
05 Nov 2020 16:37 #112

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

When I remove the triple tree I've discovered that putting a white towel (old bath towel) on the floor underneath the steering head works to keep falling BBs from bouncing away plus a white towel makes them easy to see. This idea came to me after losing one on my first build. Glad you found yours![/quote]

Great idea, will do that when I put it back together too. Thanks
05 Nov 2020 17:03 #113

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Couple questions on gaskets. Do you guys use any type of sealant on head and or cylinder gaskets and do you anneal new copper head gaskets? It'll be awhile before I get to that point but been wondering about it and finding different viewpoints from google.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 06:16 by Jack.
05 Nov 2020 17:27 #114

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter
Steering head bearings are 3/16" upper and 1/4" lower... any good bicycle shop has them or you can buy a bags of high precision bearing online from many sources.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
05 Nov 2020 18:15 #115

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

Good to know. Thanks
05 Nov 2020 18:22 #116

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Spent the day removing rust and paint from small parts. The kickstand and chain guard were the most rusted parts on the bike, rusted so bad that pitting was apparent. The kickstand cleaned up prettty good but the chain guard still looks pretty rough so didn't get it primed yet. Will work on it tomorrow to get it in a little better shape before priming. The other parts were all in pretty good shape and cleaned up well.

After finishing up the chain guard tomorrow I plan to paint the frame which will have sat for 48 hours since priming so should be ready for final sanding and first coat of paint. Soon as the paint is on I'm clearing out so as not to stir up any dust. Time for a day off anyway.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 16:47 by Jack.
06 Nov 2020 16:44 #117

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Three coats of paint on the frame today. My painting skills come and go depending on the day but pretty happy with todays results. I still need to wet sand it after it sits for a day or two and give it a final coat but almost tempted to skip that step in fear of messing it up. I'll do it though cause I know what a difference that final sanding and last coat will do for it.

Worked some on the rear fender this afternoon. Inner side was a rusty mess. I started cleaning it and it's coming along pretty well but will probably spend a little more time on it before priming tomorrow. Top side wasn't nearly as rusty but paint bad enough that I'm taking it down to bare metal too. Got a good start on it and won't take long to have it ready for primer.

Gave the air box it's final coat and it's good to go. Finished cleaning the chain guard which doesn't look great but considering how bad it was I'll take it. Also painted a couple other small parts and started working on the front fender. I thought it would be a piece of cake but found out that sanding the paint off and smoothing a plastic fender isn't really any fun at all. Got a decent start though.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Snglsmkr
07 Nov 2020 18:35 #118

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Couple more pics of frame
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Pete-RT1
07 Nov 2020 18:38 #119

• Jack
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor
Too windy for painting today so didn't get to put the final coat on the frame. Need to pick up some more sandpaper before working on the front fender any more so had to put that aside for now too. Decided to take a look at the seat. I knew it was in terrible shape but didn't realize just how terrible it was until I pulled the foam off of the plate.
What a mess , rusty to the bone. I got a good start on cleaning it up but the more rust I removed the more damage I found. Badly pitted with several holes and three cracks. In spite of all that it still feels like it'll support the seat and my skinny butt so will try to weld the cracks up to hopefully stop them from growing. Gonna be a trip trying to weld what's left of the metal with my 40 year old stick welder but at least no will be able to see what it looks like once it's on the bike.

Fortunately the hardware was still intact and cleaned up well enough.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
08 Nov 2020 14:48 #120

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart