facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

CT3 clutch basket question

Replied by RT325 on topic CT3 clutch basket question

Probably all the ones we had break were purely through neglected chain mantenance on farm bikes & may have just climbed off the rear sprocket from being very loose then bunched up at front. But chains were pretty rubbish back then, maybe not original but cheapy replacements.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
15 Aug 2022 19:57 #31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MarkT on topic CT3 clutch basket question

You can get much better chain today...  a standard RK chain is probably twice as strong as the same chain back then.

Rust is the big killer...  Do not run a rusty chain even if you clean it up and lube it.  Chains are case hardened and rust can destroy the hardening.  Metal underneath is soft so chain breaks,  Rust is probably the #1 cause of failure. 

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva, Ht1kid, Sneezles61
15 Aug 2022 20:04 #32

• Dennis D
  • Dennis D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Dennis D on topic CT3 clutch basket question

Used to work on a coupe of jeeps for the Aussi's when I was in Viet Nam. They would bring them to our motor pool for repair. They would bring me Castlemaine and Courage beer all the time. Good people!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Ht1kid
16 Aug 2022 06:56 #33

• Dennis D
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Ok, got the new brg and washer and the thrust washer that was missing today. Put 
the new parts in and the good news is that the end play in the inner clutch basket
was gone, the bad news is that it wouldn't hardly turn when snugged up. Measured
the washer the DPO had put in that was against the shaft brg that is in the case and
found it measured 2mm thick. Called the dealer and had him measure one for me and
it was 3mm thick. But the problem is also the od. The correct part number for the very
inner thrust number is 30mm od and the washer they had in it was 38.something. It
was hitting on the brg retainer. The brg they had installed there is actually the one
that goes between the inner and outer baskets. I am thinking the stars will align after
I get this thrust washer tomorrow. I will post some pics and measurements for future
reference for the group when I start putting it together.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
17 Aug 2022 15:01 #34

Replied by RT325 on topic CT3 clutch basket question

Ok, not sure if I'm on the same page but have had them bind up when tightening the nut & even to the point of not turning at all. Whenever that happened I used to give the kick gear on the back of the clutch a wipe to increase end clearance. I did try removing the gear wich is pressed over the bush extension then grinding a little off the dogs then fitting it back on so its in the dog slots deeper as it never fully home. Dogs are home but gear has a little clearance, so bit of the dogs let it go in that fraction more. BUT--with my luck the damn gear picked up on the bush on the way back on causing grief. So gave up that idea & just gave it a crude grind. I'm sure you could do a better job if you need to. Just lacking end clearance--running clearance. Keep it in mind, that's all. & from what I understand your saying--the thickness of the Big Washer won't affect end clearance on the spacer. Happy to be wrong though.
Sorry edit edit spelling etc.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2022 23:11 by RT325.
17 Aug 2022 23:06 #35

• Dennis D
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I think the big problem now is the thrust washer that goes against the case
brg is to big od and is hitting the retainer. I will post a pic up for you. BTW,
what adhesive did you use on the clutch basket o ring?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
18 Aug 2022 06:53 #36

Replied by MarkT on topic CT3 clutch basket question

Yes, the washer you had against the bearing in the case was actually the missing washer that belonged to the flat thrust bearing.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
18 Aug 2022 11:02 #37

• Dennis D
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Pictures of the correct washers to fix the problem.  If you look at the edge of the retainer you can see where the washer that was installed in the wrong location was rubbing on it. 
18 Aug 2022 13:10 #38

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Dennis D
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Correct first washer to be installed behind clutch basket.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2022 13:17 by Dennis D.
18 Aug 2022 13:16 #39

This message has attachments images.

• Dennis D
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Collar with lube hole out  
18 Aug 2022 13:19 #40

This message has an attachment image.

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart