facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Sneezles and a RT2..

Replied by BillyB on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

On the decompression lever - do you hold that open the entire time while kicking, or just open it to get the piston past TDC and then kick with the decomp lever closed, similar to a 4 stroke that has a decomp lever?
18 Aug 2021 08:35 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by shyted on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

Keep it open until it's running and make sure your off the kick start lever and it's folded away. just in case it cuts out and fires back. Honest because it will only nip you the once and it will slacken your balloon knot off and fill your britches. That's if you get away with it !
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 2fishkev, Sneezles61
18 Aug 2021 10:34 #12

• Sneezles61
  • Sneezles61's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

The last jant up the road... I forgot to close it... I won't say I knew something was wrong... but what little time I've rode it... it was sluggish.. Stopped the bike to look fer.. well... you know... signs of whats next on the list... I know... its old.. so I expect a few more issues... I saw the issue.. 
Sneezles61
18 Aug 2021 12:39 #13

Replied by shyted on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 16:38 by shyted.
18 Aug 2021 16:35 #14

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

RT3 Owner's Manual in the Tech Library is worth a read.  Answers a lot of questions you probably haven't even thought of yet. 

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

In my experience kick back on a big bore is not something "normal".  If you have the timing set right and you kick it through properly and with intention they rarely if ever will kick back.  Advance the timing a degree or two too much and it will kick like a mule.  Fuels are different these days and I've found setting the timing at 0.100" (about 2.5mm) BTDC makes for easy starting and no noticeable change in power.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Scootern29, 1971DT250, RT325, JayB, Sneezles61
18 Aug 2021 17:31 #15

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Well after watching the vid... I compared my handle bars to that one.. theres a very minimal bend in the middle on mine... My decomp lever is on top too... well, whats on a rebuilt one, doesn't mean its the same as mine... 
 Timing is another piece I will look into... I haven't made any time to get into that as of yet.. It would be nice not to have a beat up right foot... 
That old cockeyed mule... 
I'm anticipating early next week to have all my parts in hand, and get this one road legal.. Let the fun begin!
Sneezles61
18 Aug 2021 19:13 #16

Replied by RT325 on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

That's a cool video.
19 Aug 2021 02:08 #17

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

New battery and regulator and head light lamps here today!! Oh Boy... Just like Christmas back in the 60's... 
Went to install the battery... I think it was ran without a battery and the positive wire was grounded to the frame.. accidentally.. I fixed that...Would that cause any problems to the stator?
   Then the connection for the foot brake was missing the short insulator on the male bullet connector... also touching the frame... Fixed... 
Now to mount the regulator and see how things work... thats for tomorrow's activities...
Sneezles61
20 Aug 2021 11:53 #18

• Sneezles61
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Second kick... it came to life! No burnt out bulbs this time... Went around the block.. All seems good.. except, now the petcock has a very slow drip... minor stuff to address.. I'm waiting for a mirror to show up... Documentation from the original owner so I can license it and I'll ride it as is... 
I'll go deeper into a "take it apart and clean it up" in a year... It sure has alot power... It pulls my 250 lb butt around quite easily.. 
There is very good info from some savvy "Vintage Yammy Enduro" peeps here... I thank you! 
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Gr8uncleal
24 Aug 2021 10:06 #19

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic Sneezles and a RT2..

24 Aug 2021 10:33 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart