facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

At-1 running after 5 years

• Yojimbo
  • Yojimbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Yojimbo on topic At-1 running after 5 years

Went for a quick ride, 6 or 7 miles, engine runs great (as far as I can tell), battery voltage was 12.6 when I left, 12.9 when I came back.

New problem, lights are frigged up. Directionals don’t work like they’re supposed to. I’ll investigate further and post again later. My experience says look for a bad ground when inexplicable symptoms with the lights occurs. They were working yesterday before I adjusted the voltage regulator. I might dial the regulator back and see what happens. Anybody got thoughts?
Thanks everyone, ‘Preciate you all.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
16 Aug 2023 15:26 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

3 hours chasing down a burnt bulb

Lights are fixed.

Longer ride tomorrow.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325, Bent Trigger, Ht1kid
16 Aug 2023 21:08 #42

Replied by RT325 on topic At-1 running after 5 years

Bit out of my league but wonder if flashers can't handle 16 volts. If the headlight survived the ride then maybe just a dud bulb. Is the headlight super bright on the road at that voltage. I just saw a message from a week back-- not sure why it just popped up--with link to the relay & i see it doesn't have recommended bulb wattage on it. I guess you're a week past 'that' now so hope its just the crook bulb.
16 Aug 2023 21:50 #43

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I was wondering the same thing, we shall see.
17 Aug 2023 04:33 #44

Replied by Bent Trigger on topic At-1 running after 5 years

Freakin' SuperHunky!!!
1966 Triumph Trophy TR6SR
1970 Husqvarna Sportsman 360
1971 Husqvarna Enduro C 360
1972 Husqvarna 450CR
1973 Husqvarna 250WR
1973 Husqvarna 360RT
1974 Husqvarna 450WR
1977 Amen Savior KZ1000 Chopper
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100 150HP
A TON-O-Generators 1925-1965

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
18 Aug 2023 16:33 #45

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

It’s been an eventful few days since my last post. The New York State Vintage Championship was held last weekend just up the road from where I live at MotoMasters MX in Mexico NY. Me getting the AT-1 running when I did was coincidental, but I was aware of the race, and was toying with the idea of either me or my son racing it in the hare scramble if I could get it to a suitable level of tune. Having it street legal made it easier to tune and confirm reliability. With the charging issue ironed out, and the burnt bulb replaced, my son put 5 miles on it, I came home from work and put 10 trouble free miles on it, then my son went back out and put another 5 miles on it before getting a flat tire. We were both satisfied with the reliability and performance. This was last Thursday, the race was Saturday morning. I had a knobby for the rear, but couldn’t find something suitable and cheap for the front so I left the universal tread on the front. I got home from work on Friday and my son had already begun getting ready to race. We changed the rear tire, put a high fender on the front, exchanged the muffler for a stinger (It has a tuned pipe of unknown make), removed some accessories and thought we were good. It was pouring rain and pretty dark when it was time for a test ride. James took it out in the yard and had it ripping around, loud as heck, sounded great. Then it stalled, we neglected to turn the petcock on. After turning the fuel on, we couldn’t get it to run right. Tried some things, eventually took the carb off took it apart, found some sediment, gumout everywhere, reassembled, back on the bike, got it running, back out in the yard, now it only runs with the choke on. Figured air leak, carb back off, couldn’t find anything obvious, took care installing the carb. It ran better, but it was late and the neighbors had already been terrorized enough, it’s very loud with the pipe on it, called it a night. Up early Saturday, waited as long as I could before firing, went up and down the road a couple times wide open, it felt and sounded pretty good. James had trouble restarting after stalling a couple times in the woods. The first time he got stuck in a mud hole almost up to the rear axle, stalled, and couldn’t get restarted, I got over to him, got the bike started, rode it out of the mud hole, and he got back on and continued. After a while, we couldn’t hear the distinctive exhaust note anymore, so I went out in the woods looking for him. No luck so back to the fence to wait. After a few minutes of waiting and no sign of him I called his cellphone (I told him to bring it with him) he answered and said he had stalled and couldn’t get it started. He was able to tell me where he was generally, so back into the woods to try to find him. I found him fairly quickly, he was with a couple track stewards, none of them was able to start it. I got it started fairly quickly wrung it out good, and told him to keep the revs up and use the clutch to keep it running. He took off and kept it going till he finished. This was the first race for either of us. The preparation, including all the help from this site, was very fun. I really appreciate you guys. Race day was also fun and very exciting. James was the only novice pre 1975 under 200cc, so he’s the state champion. The ten mile ride I took the Thursday before was very satisfying. The bike ran beautifully, it was really a joyful moment. I’m not sure what our next play is, my son and I would both like to race again, but I think we should find a more suitable bike, an MX 125 maybe. The fact that the AT-1 has a registration makes me want to do some paint work and other cosmetic things over the winter and sell it, but I do like riding it. 

Thanks for reading.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1, Sneezles61, Tom P
23 Aug 2023 16:29 #46

Replied by MarkT on topic At-1 running after 5 years

Great story! Congratulations and thanks for posting!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
23 Aug 2023 16:44 #47

Replied by RT325 on topic At-1 running after 5 years

Great read & thanks for posting. Wish i'd been there too.
23 Aug 2023 16:48 #48

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

imgur.com/a/zilB2Rm

Link to pics of the AT-1 in action, and my son with his trophy. Sorry about the hat, we have other bikes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT360Fan, RT325, Gr8uncleal, Ht1kid
12 Sep 2023 16:00 #49

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

imgur.com/a/prNB8dr

Newest problem. The boy had her out on the railroad bed this afternoon. Called me and said “I think I lost compression”. I went and got him and the bike, he was right, no compression. I saw the petcock on reserve, I didn’t put it together at the time, and I haven’t had a chance to ask him if it leaned out before it ran out, seems likely. In any event, do I have to split the cases to remove debris before I put a new piston in?
18 Sep 2023 17:40 #50

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart