facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

At-1 running after 5 years

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic At-1 running after 5 years

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

09 Aug 2023 23:31 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yojimbo
  • Yojimbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Yojimbo on topic Re:At-1 running after 5 years

Next issue: The kick starter isn’t working properly. It works well enough to get the bike started, but sometimes it takes a few kicks to get it to engage. Secondarily, after the bike is started and it seems ok, the kick lever will suddenly rotate 10 or so degrees forward, causing a noise. If I move the lever back with my hand, the noise stops. I’m gonna take the cover off tonight and take a look, but I’d thought I’d ask if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 Aug 2023 07:53 #12

Replied by Ht1kid on topic Re:At-1 running after 5 years

What year AT1 they had problems with the early ones look for a service bulletin in the tech library 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
10 Aug 2023 17:43 #13

Replied by RT325 on topic At-1 running after 5 years

It will be the dogs leg spring clip has missed its slot when assembling the kick shaft. Very easy to do 'wrong' if ya not aware of how it goes. Clip never fails unless damaged by something else, so if its ok just align with the case slot for the bent ear "might not be bent on your model without looking" but Ear none the less. You'll see it behind the kick gear when ya pull the shaft out.
11 Aug 2023 05:21 #14

#17. Look for the guiding slit in the case.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...70/at1b/kick-starter

Pic below showing slot at about 11 oclock-ish.

photos.app.goo.gl/y38TKEDDJetWDHJS8
Last edit: 11 Aug 2023 05:29 by RT325.
11 Aug 2023 05:23 #15

• MarkT
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by MarkT on topic At-1 running after 5 years

Also very common for the stop to slip on the shaft on that model. Pretty hard to tell by looking at it. Lever forward is a clue.

Sometimes someone clocks the lever forward in an attempt to kick more kick stroke... this contributes to the stop slipping IMHO.

Post pics of inside of case with kick start removed and of kick shaft assembly if you can.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Ht1kid
11 Aug 2023 05:51 #16

Considering what Mark said i now think i might be quite wrong.
Shouldn't have had one more look before sleep lol.
For the lever to move forward it sounds like the stop has let go on the shaft but can't fathom why it would rattle partially engaged as going forward would try to spiral the gear away from engaging.
Unless something is missing letting the shaft move sideways but unlikely.
Stop on the shaft comes up to the case by the clip ear slot.
In the pic i used you can see the shaft has come around so far that the stop has bitten the case.
I don't like to think what might've been going on there but likely have been kicking it without the footrest on that limits the travel plus possibly having the lever as far forward as they could get it on the splines.
Anyway--going to loose sleep now!!.
11 Aug 2023 06:21 #17

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I really appreciate all the input. I am gonna take the cover off later today and take a look.

In the meanwhile I think I have a charging problem. I’ll post back with my findings on both issues.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12 Aug 2023 07:44 #18

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

The ear is now in its slot. It is the “bent ear”. It took a couple tries, but I gott’er. I have not seen the phenomenon since the correction. This forum is an excellent resource, I appreciate the guidance.

I regret not having recording the thing it was doing, forgive my negligence.

Next Item: Charging system.

I had gotten a new battery before I got the bike running. After it was running I started taking laps around the yard. As I gained confidence, I went up and down the road, then around the block, increasing the radius till I got out in the country and did about a 6 mile loop. The “headlight on” position on the ignition switch was not reliable, so I was running with the headlight off. After correcting the switch, I tried going for a ride with the headlight on, the bike died about 2 blocks from my house. I waked it back to the house and after charging the battery, the bike ran fine. This morning, after correcting the kicker, I rode up the road, the bike died, and I walked it back home and put the charger on. After charging a while, I checked the voltage of the battery, 12.1v. I took a little ride, maybe three miles, bike ran great, got home and checked the battery again, 11.5v.

It’s a new battery
The acid was a little low in the battery, I topped it up, but the problem persisted.
When I’m riding, I keep the revs up, and try to avoid letting it bog.

What should I check? I got a pretty good fluke multi meter

Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
13 Aug 2023 11:39 #19

• Yojimbo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Just did a simple voltage test with the bike running. 11.55v with the bike idling, after maybe 30 seconds, it went down to 11.54v. If I kept the revs up the voltage would go up to 11.56. With the directional on, and the engine running, the voltage dropped quickly to 11.49, and continued to drop until I throttled to keep the revs up, at which point it leveled. The measurements were taken at the battery.

Also, I didn’t mention this previously, but a few days ago I mistakenly left the key in the run position for maybe an hour. The tank was off and I noticed that the coil got real hot. I turned off the ignition, let it cool, and it started no problem about an hour later.

Thanks for following

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
13 Aug 2023 12:07 #20

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart