facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Yamaha Dt 250 1978 Spark Plug problem

Replied by Wrench66 on topic Yamaha Dt 250 1978 Spark Plug problem

Hi Ben,
Thanks for posting that video, definately helpful actually "hearing" your bike run. Just my observation but I think what you are dealing with is the bike is running really rich and fouling the new plugs so quickly. I realize it was not warmed up but the way it was responding to throttle tells me you are getting too much fuel through. Could also be really loaded up? A points magneto ignition like your DT has can't deal with semi fouled plugs like your RM or any other CDI ign would.
Your RM sounds great BTW :)
--Ray
Nothing makes me smile like the smell of Blendzall green label ;)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT,
13 Nov 2014 19:56 #51
The topic has been locked.
  • 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Now thats a typical 5 year old anwser.
If you cant respect other people and stay on topic Bluntz i will have to ask you to stop posting on my thread
The 2 last comment you posted were useless.

I hope you understand.
13 Nov 2014 19:56 #52
  • 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thank you for this usefull answer.
I love the sound of the FMF on my RM too.
I can do another video when i ride it, might do it tomorow.
Interesting info about the difference between the 2 ignition systems.
13 Nov 2014 19:58 #53
  • 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thanks for this usefull information.
I totally understand what you mean by checking the opening of the points. Ive already seen that done before. I wasnt sure what you meant by timing.
I will check that tomorow if i got time.
Interesting info about ngk, i didnt see it that way on your first post, i will definitely ask them about the issue and ill keep you updated with their idea about the problem.
Id love to send them these plugs.
13 Nov 2014 20:01 #54
  • 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Its confirmed i dont work tomorow so you will get to see a blast from the past.
Footage with both go pro HD and Blackberry Playbook HD with both bike in action.
Ill try to kill the spark plug in the yamaha and film when i take it out and show you right away.
You will see how big the difference in power is between these 2 vintage bikes.
13 Nov 2014 20:15 #55

Replied by Makotosun on topic Yamaha Dt 250 1978 Spark Plug problem

Film at 11:00!
IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
13 Nov 2014 20:17 #56

Replied by Wrench66 on topic Yamaha Dt 250 1978 Spark Plug problem

I feel really old now when someone mentions a '90 ANYTHING as being Vintage.....lol :)

<<<<You will see how big the difference in power is between these 2 vintage bikes>>>>>
Nothing makes me smile like the smell of Blendzall green label ;)
The following user(s) Liked this Post:
13 Nov 2014 20:27 #57
  • 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Well in a bit more than one month my RM will be 25 years old and thats a vintage if im not mistaking :)
My DT will be 37 years old this year too and shes a vintage for sure :p

When i go to the track with my Rm, people say : ''what are you doing here with this relic.''
Because of course they own new bikes or newer bikes.
They sure are surprised when they witness the sheer power of this old beast. Well, it might be a 1990 but there is almost no original part on this bike. Its pretty much new from the ground up. Ive put so much money into it i dont even want to think about it.
13 Nov 2014 21:00 #58

Replied by MarkT on topic Yamaha Dt 250 1978 Spark Plug problem

Just watched the video... good comments from Wrench66... keeping in mind the old saying that "most carburetor problems are electrical" (of course, there is only some truth in that saying... but it is why I like to check timing first)

...one other thing that struck me immediately were the comments on the plugged exhaust... that could be important and if it's something you suspect I would at least remove the muffler (that's the part that's probably clogged) and see if it runs better.

Only other thing I can think of is bad/old gas might be contributing? (You said you don't ride it much and it might have been sitting for weeks?)

Good luck!
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2014 21:02 by MarkT.
13 Nov 2014 21:01 #59
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Attachment not found

This has been a entertaining thread with lots of drama and emotion as personalities clash once again the evil villain bluntz angers the villagers that soon out wit him as usual in this amazing episode .......ahah
Last edit: 13 Nov 2014 22:27 by .
13 Nov 2014 21:31 #60
Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart