facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RT 2 clutch slipping issue

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic RT 2 clutch slipping issue

I leave out the cushion rings. I can't tell any difference.

For the steel plates Yamaha # 4H7-16325-00 have small dimples in them. # 168-16325-00 are smooth. I can't tell any difference in performance.

Also check the basket fingers for grooves. This will cause the clutch to stick and hang up while actuating. If they have shallow grooves you can buy more life by filing the fingers with a flat file. If they are too deep I would replace the basket. The tabs on Yamaha friction plate # 5Y1-16331-01 are thicker than the original and are less likely to cut grooves or "comb" the fingers.
The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB
12 Apr 2023 13:38 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by run103 on topic RT 2 clutch slipping issue

I just put 2 steel plates together at the bottom of the stack and that preloads the springs a little and makes sure the pressure plate does not bottom out on the clutch basket. I can do stationery burnouts even with old fibre plates as long as they are not burnt crispy
Doug
12 Apr 2023 17:01 #12

Replied by RT325 on topic RT 2 clutch slipping issue

Don't do what i did haha. I should be riding with one hand on the clutch waiting for the explosion but sort of forgotten about it now so its gonna bite me oneday. I had some slightly bigger plate that lined up with the engaging bits but a bit too big to slide in. Working faultless. Might've been out of my 465-i don't know, guessing. Have a few more horses than std squeezed out of my RT2 based motor. Hope ya get your gripping soon. Pic coming.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2023 18:39 by RT325.
12 Apr 2023 18:32 #13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Grumman41
  • Grumman41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Grumman41 on topic RT 2 clutch slipping issue

No fear of that as I’m not a machinist! Wish I was , it would make my life easier. I’ll update when I get the parts in and installed.
13 Apr 2023 05:24 #14

• Grumman41
  • Grumman41's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Grumman41 on topic RT 2 clutch slipping issue

I wanted to make sure nothing extra was added or deleted to my clutch before ordering parts.
I counted eight clutch plates (metal rings) , seven of the same thickness and one slightly thicker. There are seven friction plates(fiber rings).
Does this sound correct for the RT2?
14 Apr 2023 15:55 #15

Replied by 1971DT250 on topic RT 2 clutch slipping issue

Yes.
The first metal plate is item # 4 part # 214-16324-00-00 (Plate, Clutch 1). It is thicker than the others, item # 8 part # 4H7-16325-00-00 (Plate, Clutch 2)

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
14 Apr 2023 16:34 #16

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart