facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to register motorcycle not registered in CA for 30 years!

In California It use to be very easy with no BS to register a motorcycle with no title, not anymore. You can do it but more hoops to jump. I’ll think twice before buying one without a title. 
but if you want the bike bad enough we all go through the hoops.
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Tom P
23 Mar 2022 14:34 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MD Scott - I agree
Not only is this difficult, the rules and process change based on who you talk to.  its FUBAR
Hiring a service that walks in the back door of the DMV and owns the process end to end, notwithstanding a trip to the CHP when the DMV decides refer you to CHP without any consitent reason, is the only way to go.  I cannot endure the DMV lines, etc. total waste of my time.

I bake an additional $300 into my offer, plus any back fees.  Looked at a Honda CB750 last week and walked because the way I saw the situation the owner would have to pay me to take it!
24 Mar 2022 09:27 #22

When I look at a bike with expired registration I look up the fess to re-register the bike on the DMV website and show them to the seller. One time I purchased a Yamaha TW200, the seller and I agreed on a price of $1900, I looked up the fees and they were $800 in penalties and fees. Showed it to the seller and said he did not know the fees were so crazy and said OK and sold me the bike for $1100 CASH. I learned this after I purchased a nice Honda CB750 for $2300 (fair price) and later found out the DMV fees were over $1200 to put it back on the street.
24 Mar 2022 09:49 #23

I got burned on fees, bought a CT110 $500 in back fees. I bought it during Covid, all the communication was done through emails and snail mail, it was a pain. 
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
24 Mar 2022 11:32 #24

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I now have two more boxes checked. The VIN verifier just left so I have form Reg 31 all filled out, and this morning I got it insured through Progressive, and have the ID cards in hand. The VIN guy said that they probably could link it to the old blue/yellow CA license plate, so I'll try that, but if I get a new plate it's not a big deal.

By the way, my agent emailed asking if I had the motorcycle endorsement, and I emailed back not currently, but I had one for many years and have some 35 years of riding experience. I also wrote that getting the M endorsement back is the final box I'm going to check, because I want to have the bike fully roadworthy, registered and insured before I invest in a motorcycle course. I guess it worked, because a couple minutes later she emailed back asking for payment information.

So hopefully I'll walk out Monday afternoon with a new registration, and tag on the license plate!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
24 Mar 2022 13:35 #25

Persistence... It does pay off! Congrats on your  task completed!
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
24 Mar 2022 13:40 #26

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well I got it registered! Was able to have it registered to the old "YOM" plate too. If I'd gottten a new plate, I would have walked out with a plate and stickers today, but now I have to wait for the stickers to arrive, though she gave me a temporary paper sticker. She said it could be up to 90 days, but realistically it should be much faster.

For a minute she was going to decline the VIN check form I brought in, because the number on the frame and engine match. I told her that's how these old bikes are, and she had to go check with her supervisor.

I also found out yesterday from a neighbor that there's a place just a couple miles away called Quick Plates, and they would have done the whole thing for me, though they charge a fairly hefty fee on top of the DMV fees.

I also panicked when I got home because she kept the original title. However because I couldn't call them and get to a live person, I called the Quick Plate place, and they told me that because I have a new address now they'll send a new title with the new registration and stickers. I do have a copy of the old title that she gave me.

So now just to finish up the engine when the oil pump gasket and seal arrive, and get the new tires on later this week or next.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, JimA, Sneezles61
28 Mar 2022 17:18 #27

Congratulations! 

And thanks for clearing up the plate thing...  that's the way California always was.  In fact, a few years ago I gave an old original "off the books" CA plate to a friend and he was able to get it assigned to his 1971 Enduro by the California DMV...  all they cared about was that plate was in good condition and that the number wasn't in the system. 
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
28 Mar 2022 17:34 #28

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Mark, and that's right. My neighbor who has rebuilt a number of old bikes and cars confirmed that as well. If you have any old out of system YOM plate you can have it assigned to your motorcycle as long as it's in decent shape, and the number hasn't been assigned to someone else. My neighbor tried to assign one once, and it turned out the number had already been given to a commercial vehicle.

I've already removed all the old stickers using a heat gun, and it's all set for the new ones.
28 Mar 2022 18:20 #29

Congrats Tom! You found the only person at the DMV with compassion!
1978 DT400E
1976 DT400C
1973 RT3
1971 RT1B
1968 DT1 (3)
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
29 Mar 2022 17:06 #30

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart