facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to register motorcycle not registered in CA for 30 years!

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything to answer my questions. I'm fixing up a 1971 CT1, that was last registered in 1992 in CA. I have the plate, I have the pink slip in my name ( it was transferred to me in 1991 from my Dad, and it's been in storage all this time) but I keep reading conflicting information on how to go about this.

I called my insurance agent, and they checked with Progressive and said they could insure it for $151 a year. A complication is I don't currently have a motorcycle endorsement on my license. I had one many years ago, but let it lapse in the late nineties when I stopped riding  My questions are, do I need insurance before I try to register it, and can it be registered if I do not have yet have a motorcycle endorsement on my license?

I'm thinking about going down to AAA tomorrow with the license plate, title and an application I just filled out for vehicles that are currently out of the system. However if anyone has any experience or advice they could offer me, I'd sure appreciate it!

Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 07:22 by MarkT.
22 Mar 2022 19:28 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You won’t need a motorcycle license to register the bike but you will need insurance on the bike. Don’t be surprised if there are back fees, but maybe not because you transfered from father to son. Of course you’ll need a license to ride on the street. Good luck dealing with the DMV. 
Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'03 ST1300
'75 Norton
'73 CB500K
'81 Honda CT110
'87 PW50
'64 McClane Edger
'02 Honda XR70R
22 Mar 2022 19:52 #2

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I really appreciate the reply Mark. I believe the bike was put in "planned non operation" back in 1992, so I don't think I should have to pay back fees. On the insurance question, I wasn't sure if I had to get that before, or I thought there was a provision that you have a few weeks or a month after registering to get insurance. Again, I keep reading conflicting information on the internet. I have a feeling you are correct, I probably need it before.

I have looked into what it takes to get a motorcycle endorsement now, and I would probably take a training course for $350, and I believe they take care of everything there as far as the skills test.. But I'd like to get it registered first. I've ridden mini bikes and motorcycles since I was about nine years old, and just stopped riding road bikes in the late nineties, because I moved on to other things. Also with so many drivers texting and using their cell phones, and I don't live in a rural area.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2022 20:03 by Tom P.
22 Mar 2022 19:59 #3

Sorry, but California changed the law.  You MUST have a valid motorcycle license now to get it registered in California.  And you will also need insurance.

Just went through this with Erin last year before she got a job transfer and moved to Nevada...  We had her new (to her) bike but she had to take the course and get her MC endorsement before they would allow her to register it. 

I think they allowed the title change so she could get bike title in her name...  so you might work on getting title back on the books...  but they did not allow her to register.

Best thing though is not to listen to random strangers giving advice on the Internet...  CA DMV has pretty good information pages.  www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registrati...gister-a-motorcycle/

P.S.  CA DMV has always been wacky so maybe AAA can push something through if you don't have the license endorsement...  just ask them before you spend money on insurance for a bike you won't be able to register for a while.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
22 Mar 2022 21:28 #4

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you MarkT. I have read some DMV pages that say you have to have the motorcycle endorsement before you can register. I have no problem getting the endorsement again, but it's just a matter of finding the time, and I don't have the time to get it right now, but I will. I also don't plan on riding the motorcycle around town, I just want to get it running and have it registered and insured. But I don't want to buy the insurance, if I can't get it registered

I also agree with your idea of going to the AAA to see what will happen. Often they are much better problem solvers than going to the DMV. I think I'll go there before I buy the insurance, and just see what they say.
22 Mar 2022 21:51 #5

I think if you have the title they can put it back in the system @ AAA. For back fees, check out the DMV.CA.GOV. Type in your info and the system will state back fees or say no matching records. VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEE CALCULATOR @ the DMV website. There is a rule that if it's over 25 years old and you write a letter it's a classic they can wave the back fees.
22 Mar 2022 22:08 #6

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Eddiy20, I just checked and it looks like it's not in the CA DMV system. I'll go down to AAA and see if I can get this ball rolling.

by the way, I couldn't find a way to edit the title of this thread, but it actually hasn't been registered in 30 years.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 06:26 by Tom P.
23 Mar 2022 06:19 #7

In Ca when registering or transferring a vehicle that is 25 years or older NO penalties are due under vehicle code 4604(d)(3) and 5051 which exempts them from penalty fees. You must fill out and bring to the DMV a non opp form and statement of facts. AAA cannot process this type of request and will advise you to go to the DMV. 
2 - ‘68 DT1
‘70 RT1
‘70 CT1-B
2 - ‘70 HT-1’s
‘12 Triumph Scrambler
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RTD2
23 Mar 2022 07:28 #8

I fixed the main thread title for you...  new posts will also show "30"...  the others still say 20.

Edit: figured out how to change all

Great that you have the title...  you should be able to get that resolved at least.  The way it happened with Erin on the registration from what she told me was when they tried to register it in her name, the computer flagged that she didn't have the M endorsement on her license.... if it wasn't actually the computer like she was told, you probably have a chance.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 07:35 by MarkT.
23 Mar 2022 07:31 #9

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I looked up the statement of fact from, and it seems like that's mainly for just getting title, which I already have. I'll go ahead and give AAA a shot first, because usually the lines are not long., then take it from there. If there are any other forms I need to take to the DMV, they may have those at the AAA office.. Thanks MarkT for fixing the subject line.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 08:13 by Tom P.
23 Mar 2022 08:11 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart