facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to register motorcycle not registered in CA for 30 years!

I would love to have one of those U-Haul trailers also. From what I understand even when they no longer can be used they are scrapped. I remember asking a U-haul worker one day and that was the answer I got.  Right or wrong I am not for sure
21 Jul 2022 14:00 #131

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have heard that about those trailers as well, that they don't sell old ones,  they just scrap them. I mentioned to the guy that I would love to have one, and he said well the nice thing about renting is you can leave it here and just use it when you need it. That is true, if you only need it on rare occasion, like driving the bike up to CHP. They sure make it easy to carry the motorcycle though, with that little nook on the front for the front wheel and the tie downs in perfect spots.

21 Jul 2022 14:38 #132

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Glad the CT is getting closer to full paperwork Tom. Your post reminded me, the DMV clerk caught the mistake on the Suzuki paperwork after I left and a week later I got a corrected registration followed by the CA title a few weeks after that.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, Tom P
21 Jul 2022 17:59 #133

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well, after almost 4 months of jumping through DMV hoops, I just received my new CT-1 title!

About a week ago I went back to the DMV with the CHP VIN certification, and figured it would be real quick. However the woman I gave it to just kept looking through all the papers, then looked on her computer, then looked at the papers again, and I'm thinking "oh no, here we go again".

Then another guy comes over and looks at everything, looks at the computer, and looks at the papers again. So I'm getting ready for the next hoop, and sure enough they say "well this hasn't been registered since 1992, so you're going to have to pay for all of the old registration fees."

No one at any point had mentioned anything like that before, and they'd already given me a registration, license plate and stickers (but subsequently said the registration would not be valid until I got a second VIN check from the CHP).

I had previously explained and filled out a Statement of Fact that the bike was rusting, and inoperable in storage all those years, and I actually filled out a planned non operation form in 1992, but apparently they don't have it in their system. So I'm telling them over and over I am not going to pay a penny more, I've already jumped through all your hoops, no one has tried to put this one in front of me before, let's just get this done! By the way they never gave me a number on past due registration fees, but I heard something like $1,000 as they were mumbling back and forth.

Then, after a few more shenanigans on their part, like saying that I never said when I took possession of the motorcycle, I explained that I did tell them when I took possession, and showed him on the form... and finally the guy told the girl to punch something into the computer, and just get it done.

I still have the original blue/yellow license plate, but at this point I'm not even going to bother trying to get that registered to the bike. I'll just keep it.

But anyway, I'm happy, and I'm glad that's over!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, darinm, Schu, Ht1kid, Pedalcrazy, Sneezles61
05 Aug 2022 12:28 #134

I am soooo happy I don't live in Cali anymore!
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
05 Aug 2022 13:36 #135

• Tom P
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
As many problems as we have, I still love California. Born here and I'll probably die here. Plus the weather today is the mid 70s with a gentle ocean breeze, so we've got that going for us. That said, I fully understand why some folks just get fed up and leave, and I have no problem with that at all. It's a big nation, and people are free to live wherever they choose.
05 Aug 2022 14:03 #136

I too was born and raised in Cali, loved growing up in the San Jaquin Valley on my parents dairy farm.  Just came back from a visit there in May, lot's has changed and not for the better.  I'll stay where I am, for now...
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
05 Aug 2022 14:40 #137

Congratulations on finally being done with it Tom!
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61, Tom P
05 Aug 2022 15:16 #138

I’d say yer being polite.. calling it shenanigans!
Time to celebrate!
Sneezles61
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
05 Aug 2022 16:31 #139

Great news, congratulations! 

This image is hidden for guests.

Your experience just confirms to me that, wherever in the world you live, there will always be jobsworth bureaucrats with a closed mind just looking to make your life difficult - if they haven't come across something before, or if the computer says no, then it must be wrong. But man, the feeling of joy you get when dealing with someone that actually knows what they're talking about.........

This image is hidden for guests.

06 Aug 2022 00:11 #140

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart