facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

How to register motorcycle not registered in CA for 30 years!

Hi Tom,
Thanks for reply. I am in West Covina. I lived in HB for many many years. My mom is still there. Good to know about Quick Plates.
I started this journey at a similar place but they were not able to verify VINs..so the lady said. I think they could if the right person was working that day but it was not going to happen..I will see how the CHP goes this Friday morning. I will take it to Quick Plates if I have too. Only want a OHV tag.
Tom, Nice CT1! 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
02 May 2022 07:22 #111

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom P
  • Tom P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I stopped by Quick Plates, and they can't figure out why the DMV denied the YOM plate assignment. Just makes no sense. They said it'd be best just to go back to the DMV and try it again. I also noticed the DMV had given me an old form for the YOM plate, so I downloaded a later version and filled it out. I may end up just punting and getting a new plate, and walking out with it Friday. According to the person I talked to, I've already paid for it anyway, and they should refund me the $45 YOM fee.
Last edit: 02 May 2022 16:34 by Tom P.
02 May 2022 14:19 #112

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
FINALLY I have a license plate and stickers! I gave up on registering the old original blue plate for now, and no one at the DMV can figure out why the YOM gods in Sacramento turned it down. Everyone I talked to agreed that it was the correct plate, and they really tried to help me.

Three people were trying different things, including trying to register it as an original plate, but in the end they were going to send it back with another YOM request, then wait another month or so and see what happens. I thanked them for their efforts, asked for a new plate, and I'll worry about the blue plate later. I'll also send in for a refund on the YOM fee, which they said they will refund.

Later on I may take the blue plate down to the Quick Plates shop, and see if they can work some magic on it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52, Schu, Pete-RT1, Sneezles61, adguy2112
Last edit: 06 May 2022 17:54 by Tom P.
06 May 2022 17:52 #113

This message has an attachment image.

In that sunshine with a new plate, it looks like brand new bike. Congrats.
288501A
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Tom P
06 May 2022 18:15 #114

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It actually does look pretty nice in that pic, and even in person when you can see all the patina from the "coastal cancer", I still kind of like the way it looks now. I've knocked a ton of rust and oxidation off of it, and I think I'm going to stop right here. Going to leave the frame, the tank, forks and everything else as-is. I've just given everything a good clean and coat of wax, right over the patina. As I mentioned before, I did strip and paint the rear fender and chain guard, and just those two really spiffed it up. But best of all, she's running great!

Bottom line, it's a bike that has been stored a half-mile from the beach for 50 years, so it looks appropriate for that kind of history. I took a little cruise around town a while ago, and got a number of double takes and thumbs up.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Badger52, Sneezles61
06 May 2022 18:44 #115

This message has attachments images.

Hi all,
I was able to get my '74 MX360 titled and OHV licensed  (Cal Green Sticker)

1. DMV referred me to CHP.
2. CHP did the Verification of Vehicle.
3. Back to DMV, Filled out Statement of Facts, paid fees, got the green sticker and temp title!

I have a 2001 Suzuki Dr200se that I inherited from my brother.. He moved to Washington and did not want to take it. It was his wife's bike and it was too big for her. Less than 1k on it; bought new..
It has not been registered since 2019. I have read that vehicles fall out of the DMV records after 4-5 years. Not so sure about that but I will keep checking..
09 May 2022 06:57 #116

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If your brother's Suzuki hasn't been registered since 2019, if he filed planned non-operation you should be able to get it transferred to you with no problem.. if he didn't file planned non-operation and just didn't pay the registration fees for several years, you'll probably have to pay those fees and maybe a penalty.
Last edit: 09 May 2022 08:04 by Tom P.
09 May 2022 08:03 #117

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Man, the incompetence of the California DMV knows no bounds. Even though I have a license plate with stickers, I still don't have the new title or registration, they keep sending me back requests for things that they already had.

They've had my original title in their hands twice, and they requested it again so I sent it. Now they sent me paperwork back saying it's still incomplete and I have to take it to the CHP for a brake and general inspection. I called CHP, and they said they don't do brake and general inspections, only VIN checks. The DMV paperwork specifically says referred to the CHP for inspection, and they gave me a moving permit which only has the box checked for brake and light inspection, not a VIN check. I've already had a VIN check which they previously accepted twice at the DMV, by certified checker.

So I made another DMV appointment for Monday. What a zoo!
20 May 2022 12:04 #118

For what it's worth, go to DMV in the next closest town, they might just know how to get things done as yours seem to be lacking in that department.
1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
2000 Suzuki RM100
2003 BMW F650GS
2009 Yamaha WR250R
2013 Yamaha XT250
20 May 2022 22:30 #119

• Tom P
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I've actually been going to a DMV that is not the closest one to me, because most people recommend it for being better than the one that's near me. I'll give them one more try, then I'll go to another one if they can't fix it. The only thing I can say positive about this one is when you make an appointment, they call you up right on time. It's very strange because when I'm there, they seem to try to get everything figured out, then I go home and a few days or weeks later they send everything back and have another ridiculous request. It should have been so simple. I had it VIN checked, insured, and I had the title when I walked in the first time.
21 May 2022 07:02 #120

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart