facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes. You did mention that earlier. I pulled the part out the end of the pipe. Any suggestions on how to inspect and clean out the baffle that is deeper in the pipe?
22 Apr 2021 15:10 #21

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

Seems to be a few variations through the years so look deep in the end with a torch. If something like this first pic then try to burn it clean as doesnt take much to restrict it, But other pic shows a drawing of one as part of the tail baffle that puls out so i don't know. My DT1 pipe is that changed over the years it doesn't relate anymore. Does you pipe rattle like there's lumps of carbon floating around & empty them out the front. Might be able to get a piece of wire to poke through the arrestor which is angled vanes & poke the carbon forward to tip out the header end. All that only relates it 'that' is your performance issue--which of course it may not be. Bit difficult with out being there & hearing it.    
22 Apr 2021 15:52 #22

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by RT325 on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

I found those pics looking back on the forum so credit goes to those posters no me.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
22 Apr 2021 15:54 #23

Replied by RTD2 on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

PMB, I bought my carb 15 years ago.  I have not looked at the jetting in a long time.  Also, mine is a 68 DT1 which (fortunately for you) is nowhere near as good a running engine as the 69 is!

I run 32 to 1 in my bikes.

Mike
68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross; 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 73 MX360, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2021 KTM 500 EXC-W; 2001 Honda XR400R; 2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
22 Apr 2021 16:20 #24

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks guys. My pipe is the same as the one pictured from the back end. The bike is running much better but no like I remember it used to when I was a kid 35 years ago. I'll keep at it. At least I'm not chasing my tail with that other carburetor. 
23 Apr 2021 11:23 #25

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ok guys I have a new question for you. I have been trying to get new plugs for my bike and am finding it difficult to locate a b8es. I have been told that it is discontinued. So I started looking for a cross reference plug. I read in a different thread about the b8res. In that thread I learned that I should have a resistor cap and that the b8res is not a good idea because there would be two resistors. 

So, here is my situation. When I got this bike there was no plug cap on the coil lead. I spliced on a different cap from an old weed whacker or something like that. I had no idea there should be a resistor in the cap. 

Anyone have any idea of the value of the resistor in the cap? I know splicing on the spark plug wire is not a good idea but I am trying to avoid having to replace the coil. Also if there is no resistor in the cap and I am using a non resistor plug, what would be the failure symptoms?

I realize I am really showing off my "STUPID" but if I don't ask, I'll never learn anything from this experience. 

Thanks 
23 Apr 2021 12:09 #26

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ok. I looked in the manual and learned that the cap resistor is 5k ohms. I check my cap and it has a resistor in it. 

Also I pulled the pipe off and tapped gently one it a number of times with a dead blow hammer. Low an behold a bunch of crumbs came loose and I dumped them out. I am now soaking it with some gas and it is pouring out a lot of black junk. I will continue with this until I can get all the crud out. If anyone out there has a better method of cleaning out the pipe, I would love to hear it. I am not opposed to cutting it open and cleaning it out and then welding it back together. But of course I would rather not have to do that. 
23 Apr 2021 13:02 #27

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

Well, the best two ways are now history, unless you wanna find your arse in the next county.

This image is hidden for guests.

Those are burning it out with a torch, and putting it on the campfire and getting it red until it quits smoking.
But, as I say, having loaded it up with gas, fugeddaboutit!!!!!

Some use oven cleaner. But I'd say if you are already using gas, finish up that way, and then maybe wash it out with some soap and water before you kick it over the first time? Or a good backfire might get you into the next edition of The Darwin Awards!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Pete-RT1
23 Apr 2021 13:10 #28

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Mothersbaugh, your response is hilarious. Yes, I plan to thoroughly rinse it out with water before I put it back on and started it. I realize I have turned it into a bomb. Yikes. 
I like the camp fire idea. Thanks for the warning. 
23 Apr 2021 13:52 #29

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart