facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

• pmb
  • pmb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
hello everyone. I am new to this site as a registered member. This is my first attempt at a post. I have a 69 Yamaha DT-1B 250. It was my dads bike. He passed away and I ended up with this bike. I have been trying to get it back on the road. I need an original carburetor. I purchased a cheap carburetor and was able to get it started and running. However I can't it to run properly. I know now that I really need an original carburetor. If anyone out there can help please contact me at 310-800-0885 and leave a voicemail and I will call you right back. Or you can text. I assure you that I am not a scammer. I am a very frustrated person trying to get this bike running again. Thanks 
15 Apr 2021 16:56 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

Hi & Welcome. i'm too far away to be any use in [NZ] but carb must be bad to be 'that' bad,needing replacement or is it missing. I know people rubbish aftermarket carburetors but maybe i'm lucky & have use two i can think of without problems but not on a DT1. I had one like yours new in "69 & was a good bike too. you may be right of course & it 'is' catburetor problems but be good if you can describe what its doing--or not doing--& a video is always helpful. Best of luck. Oh & just thinking, if you purchased a cheap original type carb then the small Oring can fail & cause rich running like it's choking & flooding up. Oring No7 in the link.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...1969/dt1b/carburetor
15 Apr 2021 17:13 #2

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

Even the worst running/looking carbs can be cleaned and rebuilt. Is that the problem?
15 Apr 2021 21:58 #3

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi and thanks for the reply. I don't have the original carb. It was missing when I got the bike. I bought a $30 MIkuni vm26 (may be a knock off). I was able to get the bike running but I can't get it running well. This carb has an 1/8" fuel line and the people I have talked to say I'll never get it running correctly with that carb. I really only bought it to bring the bike to life so I could verify that it is mechanically sound. I always knew eventually I would need to find an original carburetor. That time has come. It the final piece of the puzzle. 

Thanks
16 Apr 2021 17:54 #4

Often lack of performance is exhaust baffle related & the spark arrestor slightly deeper down in the end. But only guessing wildly without more info or video. Fuel line sounds small but only needs to be bigger than the main jet pretty much--which it is.
16 Apr 2021 18:04 #5

Replied by RTD2 on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

Just to confirm, I assume the 1/8 fuel line is a typo, it will not run with that.  

On the carb, call Sudco tell them what you have and they can get you a real Mikuni.  It will not have the flange mount but they will sell you the manifold and carb which will be close to set up to run on your bike.  

You can find a Mikuni on eBay (for $150 to $250) but it will need to be completely cleaned and rebuilt, I bought a Sudco for my 68 DT1 and it ran perfectly out of the box, it is not original, but it will run beautifully.  

I can probably put together a VM26 from my stock of carbs, but I would not sell it for less than $400 fully rebuilt (because I and many on this site do not want to let this stuff go) but in my opinion unless you are building a restoration you don't need/want to go this route.

Mike
68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross; 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 73 MX360, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2021 KTM 500 EXC-W; 2001 Honda XR400R; 2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
The following user(s) Liked this Post: nhsteve
16 Apr 2021 18:29 #6

Original is probably 1/4 or 6.5mm.
16 Apr 2021 18:56 #7

• pmb
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
No. The 1/8 inch is not a typo. Although I would really like to have an original carburetor, this bike is never going to be restored. I plan on keeping it as it was when I got it from my dad after he passed. All I want to do is get it running so I can cruise the beach in Southern California. 

I will reach out to Sudco and see what they have to offer. 

Thank you all for your responses and support. 
17 Apr 2021 14:33 #8

Put a pic up of the carb please. Just curious as to what you ended up with. Bought a Chinese 28mm for my 175 but steps down to 24 as it happened. Looked like a machining muckup but works perfect. Cost next to nothing with free shipping to NZ.
17 Apr 2021 15:52 #9

Replied by RTD2 on topic In search of Yamaha DT-1B 250 carburetor

Yes, 1/8th inch is in no way going to provide enough fuel to run a bike.  It has to be 1/4 inch.  And yes call Sudco.  

Mike

68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross; 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 73 MX360, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2021 KTM 500 EXC-W; 2001 Honda XR400R; 2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
17 Apr 2021 20:42 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart