facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

RZ 250 expansion on a 1974 DT 250

Replied by RT325 on topic RZ 250 expansion on a 1974 DT 250

'I think' that type of baffle should have divider plates to direct the gas in & out until it gets to the end bit, but might be wrong. Also 'i think' that end perforated tube should have wrapping. I see a thingy inside the chamber in the diagram that i'd be removing. Then if i wasn't happy i'd start again & make a new chamber-- & i've made a few "cockups" but did some good ones in about 10 chamber exhaust when we were bucket racing. Then oxy accetylene got too expensive & i got too old lol.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MrBernzo
24 Sep 2021 03:56 #41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yeah wonder how loud it'd be if you did as you say & cut the baffle off to the end bit & wrap it with muffler stuff.. Be pretty noisy but not as bad as without., might be great.
24 Sep 2021 04:02 #42

• MrBernzo
  • MrBernzo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by MrBernzo on topic RZ 250 expansion on a 1974 DT 250

Thanks RT I think I will will continue with the muffler baffle modifications first, seems easier to do. Also, I was pretty happy with the performance of the bike with no baffle. 
I can't wrap the baffle with packing before inserting it, but I think I can pack the muffler housing and then insert the baffle. 
As for the chamber, removing the the thing inside there will be the next step, if need be! I don't have skills to make my own chamber unfortunately.
24 Sep 2021 15:35 #43

Oh ok, so the hole is baffle size, was thinking almost the big flange size. Packing the inside is a great idea i'd not thought of. Is there a baffle plate in there that separates the perforated section, think i could see a mark where it sits, so packing would stay there, cool.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr
25 Sep 2021 01:04 #44

• MrBernzo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

There is a baffle plate between the perforated and other sections inside the muffler. It's hard to see by its about 150mm from the end of the muffler. 
25 Sep 2021 15:53 #45

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• MrBernzo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I decided to cut the baffle to 160mm long removing the weird indented bit and just leaving a perforated core. The core is not a single layer like I would expect in a more modern dirtbike. 
it has a smaller core inside the outer core.
I have added packing to the inside of the muffler too. Hopefully squeeze in a test ride later today.
25 Sep 2021 16:04 #46

Getting more interesting by the post. Look forward to the next installment.
25 Sep 2021 16:39 #47

• MrBernzo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Each change I make is a step in the right direction. Shortening the baffle has improved performance but still not as good as with no baffle. I am considering buying some 2 stroke muffler core and making my own baffle similar to what I would expect to see in a more modern 2 stroke.

Also considering opening up the chamber and removing what's inside there. 

The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, RT325
15 Oct 2021 16:02 #48

Just bought myself a cheap mig welder new from supercheap autos, $199 down from $415 Is a flux core wire type as need to fix my RMX pipe split &others. But need to practice & realize an argon type wire setup would be best but anyway, practice makes perfect--or i'll give up haha. Miss my oxy accetylene setup but is too expensive hiring & filling bottles for very little use, although that might still win out in the end if i can't handle the new toy.
15 Oct 2021 16:19 #49

• MrBernzo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Slow progress here. Work and life got in the way for a few months. Today I cut the chamber in half and removed the internal baffle. I felt a bit sorry for the engineers at Yamaha that would have spent a great deal of time creating this! 
There is still another plate of some kind further in the chamber but it doesn't look to restrictive at all so I will leave it there. Now to pretend I can weld and try to reattach the 2 parts of the chamber. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325
02 Jan 2022 23:57 #50

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart