facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

1975 DT400B - Indicators

• Jammyyammy
  • Jammyyammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

1975 DT400B - Indicators was created by Jammyyammy

Hi there, I recently bought a DT400B (american import). I've just had delivered a full set of aftermarket chrome indicators. They seem to be the same ones that are available from a number of different suppliers. I've got a couple of queries and was hoping someone could get back to me... On the front indicators, there is a big hole where the wire comes through - has anyone any idea? glue/grommet of the best way to 'fix' this so that they don't fill up with rainwater?... On the rear indicators, I have the 'ears' with the rubber insert. I assume I need a couple of penny washers, one either side of the rubber - but my question is - what stops it from the indicator from vibrating loose and ending up facing the floor? just tighten it up? I presume the original had a better method. That is the problem with aftermarket parts - they are never as good as the real thing................. Thanks all, Phil
27 Jan 2021 11:13 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic 1975 DT400B - Indicators

Pictures (very easy to do on this site) would help get you a lot more responses...
27 Jan 2021 11:16 #2

Replied by AirborneSilva on topic 1975 DT400B - Indicators

Like Mother ^^^ mentioned a picture would be great for those front indicators. As for the rear I believe I have the same set you're talking about and the rubber should dampen the vibration and not let the nuts vibrate lose. If your concerned you can always put a little locktite on them and call it good.
2023 Tenere T7
1976 DT400C
1975 DT400
1981 DT175H
1972 DT2 250
1980 GT80
1972 JT2
29 Jan 2021 15:21 #3

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Jammyyammy on topic 1975 DT400B - Indicators

sorry - thought I'd sent a message ages ago for this. I was ranting about aftermarket indicators. The pictures show the original indicator, with a grommet where the wire passes through. The aftermarket has no grommet. P1ss poor really. No gasket around the lens either. They were cheap, but I'd rather have paid a bit more for indicators that won't fill up with water. 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: AirborneSilva
26 Feb 2021 11:51 #4

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 1975 DT400B - Indicators

When I refurbished an original pair of front indicators for my ct1 the grommets were beyond salvage.
I found some suitable replacements on eBay
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
26 Feb 2021 13:14 #5

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks. The smallest I can find on there is a hole size of 3mm and the cable is 2mm. Will probably use a bit of black heat shrink around the cable where it goes through the grommet.
Do 'used' front indicators (to match the one I got) ever come up for sale on eBay (UK)? - I've been looking for a while and not seen one. Probably a silly price if it does?
26 Feb 2021 14:44 #6

Replied by Pete-RT1 on topic 1975 DT400B - Indicators

A bit of clear silicone will do a very neat job of sealing the cable to the grommet hole.
Most things come up for sale on ebay eventually, patience is important when sourcing parts.
It's worth saving your search and allowing notifications so you get an email on a match, also worth searching more generally "chrome indicator" or "yamaha indicator", it's a bit labourious but not everybody knows what it is they're selling.
Yamaha CT1-B
Yamaha CT1-C
Yamaha AT1-E
Yamaha AT1-C
Yamaha CT3
1978 Yamaha DT175MX
2020 Honda CB500X
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Jammyyammy
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 15:10 by Pete-RT1.
26 Feb 2021 15:09 #7

Replied by Gr8uncleal on topic 1975 DT400B - Indicators

+1 on this.

Also use words like winker, flasher etc.

There have been a couple of job lots of indicators on fleabay recently, so look at those types of listings to see if what you want is in there - keep what you need and sell on the rest..
27 Feb 2021 01:02 #8

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks. It's also worth noting that the original lens gasket (but not the original lens) fits into the aftermarket indicators. So it is possible to make the aftermarket indicators a little more waterproof with a bit of effort.
I must stop focusing on indicators and get that engine running......
27 Feb 2021 02:31 #9

• Jammyyammy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Hi Pete - I’ve tried to send you a private message before, but not too sure I managed to do it correctly!
I hope you are well.
I’ve managed to get hold of a much better plastic front mudguard for my DT400, so am nearly in a position to get a spray shop to paint all my silver parts!
A couple of questions if I may.
What was the name/code of the silver paint you used? I remember it was pretty close to my silver? Would you recommend it and will any spray shop be able to get hold of it?
My other question is - I bought 5 litres of evaporust as I would like to get the rust out of the seems on the rear mudguard. Shall I evaporust first, then take it to get blasted or get it blasted, then evaporust it?
I’m thinking the former as after getting it blasted, I would like to get it immediately zinc primered to stop the rust reappearing. But if I do the evaporust first, how do I stop the rust from reappearing inside the seams? I would like to Krust, but it couldn’t get inside the seams...
I will probably go to microblast services. I think there is spray shop next door to them?
Thanks for your time. Any more advice you can give me is great fully received...
Cheers, Phil
12 May 2021 12:23 #10

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart