facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Pictures Posting Not Working (12 Jun 2023)

Picture uploads is again unavailable. We are working on the problem. Thanks for your patience.

Makotosun

Life after meltdown

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic Life after meltdown

thanks TJ

I don't think the steel sleeve maintains preload, i think it provides a bearing surface so the spring doesnt eat up the case is my theory.  I think the preload is achieved once kickstart shaft end fork is inserted into spring, and either the spring loop of the kcik starter shaft is preloaded, but I could be wrong -  obviously - or I wouldnt be rebuilding engine! 

My kicker isn't limp per se, just not as firm as I recall it...so I am going to live with this, or find a way to preload it an additional 1/4 turn down the road if after riding for a while it bothers me.

whats up with your bike that has you taking it apart?  good luck with it, I am no expert but have tried to capture 100 questions that I had along the way in this thread
17 Feb 2021 07:49 #141

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Mothersbaugh on topic Life after meltdown

The same could probably be said for many of us "aging members" here....

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr, Schu
17 Feb 2021 11:01 #142

Replied by Top Jimmy on topic Life after meltdown

The crankshaft bearings were worn out. I really appreciate you sharing all of your lessons learned on yours. Been taking notes and have a list of things to check out. Figured I'd try and help on the kickstarter return spring. I'll have to take a look at the kickstarter shaft to get an idea of what you are thinking. The spring sleeve will limit the twist on the spring if you preload it too much when installing the kickstarter shaft.  A 1/4 turn of preload should not be a problem though.  Thanks msavitt. I still have a lot to learn on my end. 
17 Feb 2021 14:58 #143

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

This has been a really fun project that wouldn't have made it this far without the really kind and sometimes humorous support from the many experts on this site.  I have been working on VWs, Benzs, BMWs for decades and would never have joined any of these sites because of the snotty and arrogant behavior demonstrated towards those who just didn't know.

USPS is the only thing between me and my DEET refurbished lube pump, hopefully its just delayed due to snow storms and not lost.  But in the mean time I installed a pump with verified proper output, new seals, adjusted, etc. and put a gallon of 32:1 in the tank too just for good measure.

Took a 2nd ride just now further out, from my house to a place called Cook's Corner and back ~20 miles between meetings.  I got to say that this engine runs like an entirely different machine, I am pleased because the steady throttle cruising is pretty darn smooth and I don't think it's pinging that much either!  Rapid closing of the throttle still triggers the wa wa wa wa wa, but its not as out of control if that makes sense.

But i was pleased before the meltdown too, and melted down.

So taking a step back from my glass of my own bathwater, any advice on things that I should inspect and/or do to validate everything is copastetic would be very much appreciated.  Lastly, it is idling around 2k now and I am not planning to monkey with this until I get new pump installed and have burned up all the premix, and advice on what is the "perfect idle" and how to achieve it also appreciated.

On the hunt now for my next project!

Thank you,
Martin

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Andy L, Jack, DT Tim
24 Feb 2021 11:30 #144

Replied by Jack on topic Life after meltdown

24 Feb 2021 13:53 #145

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

20 miles on straight gas and Yamalube pump. 

any opions?

20 miles on straight gas and Yamalube pump. 

any opions?

25 Feb 2021 11:34 #146

This message has an attachment image.

Replied by Bigdog302 on topic Life after meltdown

how does the bike run?  that plug looks good to me if it is a light brown.
2 1968 DT1s,1970 RT1M,1970 DT1C,1971 RT1B,1971 Honda Z50K2,1974 DT100A 1974DT250A,1974 Honda MT250,2 1975 DT400Bs,1975 Honda CR250M1,1978 DT175E,1979 Honda CR250R.
Dave
Jesus is Lord!
25 Feb 2021 14:20 #147

Replied by turbodan on topic Life after meltdown

A little darker on the plug would be good, looks kind of gray.  It can be tough to get a good shot of a plug, maybe take a few more with better light.
25 Feb 2021 15:00 #148

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

runs terrific!
I am paranoid and am going to double check lube pump output tonight
hope USPS gets me my professionally rebuilt pump soon and can live up to "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night" schtick!

25 Feb 2021 15:00 #149

Moderators: yamadminMakotosunDEETVinnieJames Hart